Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Hulkcamaro

Drives: Chevy as camaro
2011 SS CAMARO crankshaft position sensor code throwing

So my oil pump went out of my car I put a brand new one in got my oil pressure back run good so I went with a high-volume oil pump so I wanted to make sure it had all new gaskets and everything at 166000 miles on the motor so we pulled engine and transmission together unplugged everything nice and neat but every gasket top to bottom did not mess with the crank cam any of that just from oil pan gaskets and full head gasket kit got it all painted up cleaned up and ready to go set it back down into the car hooked everything up all the grounds are hooked to the factory spots

And my problem is

Now I am showing a crankshaft position sensor bad we replaced it checked it with a computer and shows I have misfires on all cylinders my car is programmed by HP Tunes headers full exhaust cats delete 615 lift Comp Cam cold air intake and I cannot figure out what my issue is has anybody run into this problem before while the engine was out all we did was disconnected the battery terminal at front of the car and somehow over the two weeks. My battery did die maybe from my speakers and amp in the back we charged it fired it right up it will run but it does hesitate on turning over I'll meaning it will spin over like five six times turn the key off turn it back on and it will eventually fire up and runs pretty decent please give all the feedback if anybody's run into this issue I've been told though I might have lost my program tune and that might be causing it has anybody had this problem
Hulkcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I ran into a crankshaft position sensor code along with camshaft position sensor codes a few years ago. Turned out to be damaged wiring.

On the passenger side front corner of the engine is a wiring loom held in place with two sharp metal loom clamps. After several years of vibration, the metal clamps acted as razor blades cutting through the loom and into the wires. After I repaired the cut wires, the loom and replaced the clamps with ones with a rubber cushion the problem went away. Apparently the previous owner was chasing down the same codes. My service history showed the sensors being replaced twice.

Perhaps while doing the work on your engine, you disturbed that wiring bundle on those clamps. Worth checking out.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
skidu1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I think my crankshaft position sensor wiring is loose. I'm getting codes and starting issues. Where exactly is it on a 2015 ZL1? Thx.
skidu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I had a problem with mine starting about 4 years ago. Tach would quit. Service stabilatrac light come on and hard start and rough running. Wiggled wire to the cam position sensor and it went back to normal. This would happen occasionally till it became irritating.

Over time I replaced parts of the wiring on the front cover going to the sensor. The problem kept coming back. I went as far as eliminating all connections between the main engine harness and the sensor. Still came back. All the time a gentle wiggle of the wire would fix it temporarily. Finally put a new pigtail on the end and installed a new sensor. Problem still came back. And yes i used dielectric grease.

Not sure how to solve this now without replacing the entire engine harness. If replacing the sensor and pigtail didn't fix it why expect a whole hew harness would be worth the money and effort. It just gets aggravating having to raise the hood and reach a screwdriver in to slightly move the pigtail when it loses connection.

I haven't found anyone else with the same problem unless they just haven't traced it to the same thing yet. If anyone has solved it I want to know how.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
CWI
Helping Build America

Should be on the front engine cover.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidu1 View Post
I think my crankshaft position sensor wiring is loose. I'm getting codes and starting issues. Where exactly is it on a 2015 ZL1? Thx.
Should be on the front engine cover.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #7
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWI View Post
I had a problem with mine starting about 4 years ago. Tach would quit. Service stabilatrac light come on and hard start and rough running. Wiggled wire to the cam position sensor and it went back to normal. This would happen occasionally till it became irritating.

Over time I replaced parts of the wiring on the front cover going to the sensor. The problem kept coming back. I went as far as eliminating all connections between the main engine harness and the sensor. Still came back. All the time a gentle wiggle of the wire would fix it temporarily. Finally put a new pigtail on the end and installed a new sensor. Problem still came back. And yes i used dielectric grease.

Not sure how to solve this now without replacing the entire engine harness. If replacing the sensor and pigtail didn't fix it why expect a whole hew harness would be worth the money and effort. It just gets aggravating having to raise the hood and reach a screwdriver in to slightly move the pigtail when it loses connection.

I haven't found anyone else with the same problem unless they just haven't traced it to the same thing yet. If anyone has solved it I want to know how.
See my post above. My 2011 SS did pretty much the same thing.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 AM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
See my post above. My 2011 SS did pretty much the same thing.
How many miles on the car when you had the problem? Any engine work that might have affected the loom clamp?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How many miles on the car when you had the problem? Any engine work that might have affected the loom clamp?
My car had about 65000 miles on it when I discovered the cause. But it had the symptoms long before that. No engine work that would of affected the clamp. Simple engine vibration would do it. I've read about and have personally seen other Camaros with the same problem in the same location.

Luckily for me, the wires weren't completely cut through, they were damaged to the point that they were grounding agianst the clamp.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
My car had about 65000 miles on it when I discovered the cause. But it had the symptoms long before that. No engine work that would of affected the clamp. Simple engine vibration would do it. I've read about and have personally seen other Camaros with the same problem in the same location.

Luckily for me, the wires weren't completely cut through, they were damaged to the point that they were grounding agianst the clamp.
Thanks for the reply. Any way to take a pic of it?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Thanks for the reply. Any way to take a pic of it?
You're welcome. I can get a picture later. But the area is easy to find. It's at the front passenger side corner of the engine. Above and aroud the corner of the exhaust manifold. There is a thick electrical ground attached to the same location.

If the plactic wire loom that the wiring harness is inside of is undamaged, then the wires should be fine. If the loom is worn through from the rubbing on the clamp, chances are the wiring could be damaged too.

There are actually two issues in this area. First is the rubbing of the wiring on the clamp, second is the wiring possibly resting on the exhaust manifold. There is a stud on the the engine that secures the wiring clamp and the ground. From the factory, the wiring clamp is on the stud first, then the ground. After I made my repair to the wiring, I put the ground on first, then the wiring clamp. Because the ground wire is pretty stiff, it helps position the wiring harness up and away from the manifold.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
camguynj

I think the thick ground you’re referring to is the black pigtail ground marked in red in the pic in post 64 of this thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...l#post10107568

If that’s where you mean on my car there is nothing else attached to the same location where that pigtail ground is attached to the block.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
Low Saturn

Here are the pictures from my car.

You can see in the first picture below the metal clamp is wrapped in electrical tape and so is the wiring bundle.

The second picture is from a little further away. You can see the ground behind the heater hoses. It has the white sticker with the barcode on it.

The third picture is take more to the side. You can the another part of the engine wire harness where it comes to a "Y". There was more damage from another wiring clamp in this location. I removed the clamp and didn't replace it after repairing the wiring. Here you can see the ground cable behind the wiring harness. Originally it was in front of it and forcing it onto the exhaust manifold.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidu1 View Post
Crankshaft position sensor is on the passenger side of the block...not the front engine cover like someone stated.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote