Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2024, 09:18 AM   #1
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Z/28 Coilover Options - Thoughts

I'm going to retire my DSSV shocks for the time being since they are becoming very hard to find and cannot be rebuilt. I mostly do street driving with the occasional 3/4 times a year autox events. I have been looking at most common kits pedders/bc/qa1 ect. I have been leaning toward the Fortune Auto 500 series as I can pick my spring rates and would like to keep it as close to stock z rate as possible. Any one (I know that's the hard part) have any input? I do not want to replace with a aftermarket strut with a stock or lowering spring as I want dampening adjustment. Thanks!
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:10 PM   #2
aris

Drives: Z/28
If you're just street driving, I would probably go with something like the Ohlins R & T over Fortune Auto. Fortune Auto aren't really known for making high end coilovers.

If you want something more track capable, then maybe go with a KW Clubsport or some MCS from Vorshlag.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:20 PM   #3
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
If you're just street driving, I would probably go with something like the Ohlins R & T over Fortune Auto. Fortune Auto aren't really known for making high end coilovers.

If you want something more track capable, then maybe go with a KW Clubsport or some MCS from Vorshlag.
I have thought about Ohlins as well.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 03-25-2024, 08:44 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Vikings???
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 04:15 PM   #5
Apharaoh06

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
From my research. There are no aftermarket struts available for the Z28. As far as coilovers to keep with Z28 level performance, there seems to be Ohlins R&T with their DSV struts, which are adjustable. Maybe just as good or a little better then stock Z28. There are the KW club sport, however they are twin tube struts. Twin tubes are not equal to monotone struts for performance. JRI (Detroit Speed, 1.5 inch lower), JRZ, Ohlins (.75 inch lower) , Bilstein B16 coilover (1.25 inch lower with progressive springs), and MCS, are all monotube. I probably would not look at any of the cheaper coilovers. Ridetech may give you a smoother ride, but will be less performance oriented.

I have posted on this forum before trying to find a solution for the DSSV struts. Only option to keep at least same level of performance are high quality coilovers, like mentioned above, but they will lower your car, if you are fine with that.

Maybe an unpopular option would be to get the 1LE sway bars, with Bilstein B6 struts, and SS springs. The 1LE pulls a little less G's on the track, but a portion of the Z28 improved track manners and G's are coming from the Z28 tires, Torsen differential, stiffer bushings all around, and a 70 horsepower advantage.

Really unless your car is going to be sold to a collector, who probably wants an unmolested original, or a low mileage vehicle, might as well enjoy your stock suspension. Just going through the forums, it seems the DSSV has had issues leaking, so its no guarantee you will get Bilstein type longevity out of them anyway.

Just check the forums 1LE handles awesome, Bilstein upgrade over 1LE struts perform even better, then there is the Z28.
Apharaoh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:38 AM   #6
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apharaoh06 View Post
From my research. There are no aftermarket struts available for the Z28. As far as coilovers to keep with Z28 level performance, there seems to be Ohlins R&T with their DSV struts, which are adjustable. Maybe just as good or a little better then stock Z28. There are the KW club sport, however they are twin tube struts. Twin tubes are not equal to monotone struts for performance. JRI (Detroit Speed, 1.5 inch lower), JRZ, Ohlins (.75 inch lower) , Bilstein B16 coilover (1.25 inch lower with progressive springs), and MCS, are all monotube. I probably would not look at any of the cheaper coilovers. Ridetech may give you a smoother ride, but will be less performance oriented.

I have posted on this forum before trying to find a solution for the DSSV struts. Only option to keep at least same level of performance are high quality coilovers, like mentioned above, but they will lower your car, if you are fine with that.

Maybe an unpopular option would be to get the 1LE sway bars, with Bilstein B6 struts, and SS springs. The 1LE pulls a little less G's on the track, but a portion of the Z28 improved track manners and G's are coming from the Z28 tires, Torsen differential, stiffer bushings all around, and a 70 horsepower advantage.

Really unless your car is going to be sold to a collector, who probably wants an unmolested original, or a low mileage vehicle, might as well enjoy your stock suspension. Just going through the forums, it seems the DSSV has had issues leaking, so its no guarantee you will get Bilstein type longevity out of them anyway.

Just check the forums 1LE handles awesome, Bilstein upgrade over 1LE struts perform even better, then there is the Z28.
All good thoughts, I will probably go with the Ohlins. The KW's would be great if I was to really put them to use for the price tag, and I am ok with the car being a bit lower since the wheel gap is unsightly with the 30 series tire anyway. I am just looking for away to prolong the stock suspension since they are near impossible to find and cannot be rebuilt, plus the disadvantage of the ones you find are from salvaged Z's and who knows if that component wasn't tweaked in a wreak.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 04-01-2024, 05:31 PM   #7
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
That’s exactly why I purchased a new front set of Z28 OEM’s. But they do seem to last if you don’t let the plug come loose and leak.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:23 PM   #8
Icemen125

Drives: 1969 Z/28, '15 Z/28
I read NoDak's initial post and since then the thought of replacing the DSSV shocks have been bouncing around in my head every so often. While listening to a podcast the other day, I learned the Chevrolet ZR2 tucks also uses a set of DSSV shocks from Multimatic. My first thought was "how different are these off-road truck shocks from the Z/28" which Im sure they are very different. Then I just decided to email someone from Multimatic and go straight to the source about finding a proper replacement.

This is the response I got from Multimatic

" The statement that the z/28 dampers are not rebuildable is true. They are sealed units, not intended to be rebuilt.

However, I know of no reason why they could not be ordered via GM. I just spoke to our manufacturing facility, and we would build and ship to GM CCA (Customer Care and Aftersales, aka GM Service) if they ordered the parts.

We cannot deal directly with consumers; the product must flow through GM.

Please let me know if you (continue to) have specific issues in getting parts through GM. If so, we would be curious to understand what might be happening which would prevent consumers from obtaining service parts.

If anyone finds a dealer who will accept some orders, we can do a group buy for anyone is looking for backups or replacements.
Icemen125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #9
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Call this place and see if they can rebuild them

https://www.naake.com/

Have you thought about ZL1 springs and some good shocks? Or will that work?

Another option

https://www.westcoastcamaro.com/prod...OGFbqA4W9DgEBE
Old 04-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #10
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemen125 View Post
I read NoDak's initial post and since then the thought of replacing the DSSV shocks have been bouncing around in my head every so often. While listening to a podcast the other day, I learned the Chevrolet ZR2 tucks also uses a set of DSSV shocks from Multimatic. My first thought was "how different are these off-road truck shocks from the Z/28" which Im sure they are very different. Then I just decided to email someone from Multimatic and go straight to the source about finding a proper replacement.

" The statement that the z/28 dampers are not rebuildable is true. They are sealed units, not intended to be rebuilt.

However, I know of no reason why they could not be ordered via GM. I just spoke to our manufacturing facility, and we would build and ship to GM CCA (Customer Care and Aftersales, aka GM Service) if they ordered the parts.

Please let me know if you (continue to) have specific issues in getting parts through GM. If so, we would be curious to understand what might be happening which would prevent consumers from obtaining service parts.

If anyone finds a dealer who will accept some orders, we can do a group buy for anyone is looking for backups or replacements.
That is great news, if like you said a dealer would consider going that route. I used to have a great connection in that area however, that ship has sailed. Thank you for reaching out like you did, things to consider here.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 04-08-2024, 05:00 PM   #11
Icemen125

Drives: 1969 Z/28, '15 Z/28
I would be interested in a set if someone finds a dealer able to take an order, please list it here.
Icemen125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:49 PM   #12
highrevving

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemen125 View Post

Thanks! This is good news. I will try my local dealer and see....
highrevving is offline   Reply With Quote