Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Parasitic Current Draw, Batteries and Battery Tenders

Note: Edited Dec 6, 2015 ... uploaded new version of paper

I have been doing some extensive personal research on the topic of parasitic current draw the effect that modem cars inflict on car batteries. I raise this topic here as there has been a lot of discussion about how long a car can sit unattended before the battery drains down.

A logical follow on topic to parasitic current draw is a discussion about batteries and battery tenders.

I have written a paper -- attached here -- where I discuss these topics in some detail and I offer it here for your use.

If you have any comments, I welcome your input.

Regards,

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Parasitic Current Draw_Batteries_Battery Tenders V2.pdf (931.0 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by forzasteve; 12-06-2015 at 06:01 PM.
forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Thank you, some cool info in there
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Nice read.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Well I asked for it and I got it. As far as I can tell forzastele came up with the answer I was
looking for. It explains that a car battery drains at a rate of about 3% a month if allowed to sit.
Plus battery life can be reduced if the battery is allowed to drain below 75% of a full charge. So
if your car sits for 6 months you would reduce battery charge by 18-20%. It seems to me that
cold weather would increase battery drain but I'm not sure.
I still don't think I'll ever spring for a battery tender. I've never had a problem or battery failure
from just recharging the battery in the spring.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Well I asked for it and I got it. As far as I can tell forzastele came up with the answer I was
looking for. It explains that a car battery drains at a rate of about 3% a month if allowed to sit.
Plus battery
life can be reduced if the battery is allowed to drain below 75% of a full charge.
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
myold88

Quote:
Plus battery life can be reduced if the battery is allowed to drain below 75% of a full charge. So
if your car sits for 6 months you would reduce battery charge by 18-20%. It seems to me that
I still don't think I'll ever spring for a battery tender. I've never had a problem or battery failure
Unedited Full reply.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
forzasteve

Quote:
Your strategy is perfectly good. Letting the battery sit for an extended period and then recharging after 3 or 4 months is probably fine. That would be considered a deep discharge cycle and if you have those kinds of cycles too frequently, it would likely adversely affect the the battery life. But once year? Probably no problem at all.

I would disconnect the battery from the car, though. If you do that you will take away the parasitic draw and you just may discover that the battery retains enough of a charge after 3 or 4 months to restart the car just fine.

Regards,

Steve
Old 12-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzasteve View Post
Your strategy is perfectly good. Letting the battery sit for an extended period and then recharging after 3 or 4 months is probably fine. That would be considered a deep discharge cycle and if you have those kinds of cycles too frequently, it would likely adversely affect the the battery life. But once year? Probably no problem at all.

I would disconnect the battery from the car, though. If you do that you will take away the parasitic draw and you just may discover that the battery retains enough of a charge after 3 or 4 months to restart the car just fine.

Regards,

Steve
Thanks and yes I always disconnect the negative cable at the battery. Some guys
actually remove the battery but I've never understood doing this. Thanks again
for the great study on this subject.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Thanks steve, i started a thread a few days ago on exactly this. I had 2 camaros, a 2014 1LT and a 2015 1LE and they both can't sit for more than 2 weeks without the battery dying.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
forzasteve

I made some changes to the paper. Version 2 is uploaded and can be accessed at the original post.

Steve
Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Hey Steve I read that paper you sent. Really good stuff! but there's something definitely wrong with my battery. I drive a once a week and sometimes once every 2 weeks and the battery shouldn't be dead that fast. It happened to my other camaro too - which is a 2014. I'm thinking the battery might be bad before I got it because it was sitting in the parking lot before I bought it. Either way, I appreciate the research and the time and effort! Thank you! Btw did you email the first or second version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I can't imagine any reason for not using a battery tender for winter storage.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
The only reason I can see NOT to disconnect the battery is it resets all of the emission entries used for registration/emissions inspection. Some of those take weeks to reset so, if you intend to do that, try to give yourself a month to reset -- also, some wont reset until it gets above 40 to 50 degrees -- trust me, I went though this...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
Hey Steve I read that paper you sent. Really good stuff! but there's something definitely wrong with my battery. I drive a once a week and sometimes once every 2 weeks and the battery shouldn't be dead that fast. It happened to my other camaro too - which is a 2014. I'm thinking the battery might be bad before I got it because it was sitting in the parking lot before I bought it. Either way, I appreciate the research and the time and effort! Thank you! Btw did you email the first or second version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't have the proper item to read a battery. Take the car to a car parts place like NAPA or Advanced Auto they will test your battery free and let you know if it has a bad cell or something else.