Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-05-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
Fishinfirefighter

Drives: Zl1
Throttle body. Worth it?

Throttle body guys. Worth it? Called ADM and asked if they had any of the vmax ported tbs, Andy told me its a waste of time and they dont typically change them other than huge HP builds but said if i wanted one to throw a ls7 TB on it.
Trying to get everything on for this retune that I can so I dont have to go back in a few weeks like I did this time. Im running out of simple mods at this point but a TB is cheap and thought it was worth at least throttle response and a few HP. If its only like 5hp and negligible throttle response difference I'm not gonna waste my time until next round when the cam goes in.
Was it honestly "that" big of a difference to you guys that have them? Some of these threads people act like its driving a fuel injected car vs a carb lol, pretty sure thats a little extreme and not very realistic.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Andy is correct...as usual.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Do not change it Andy is right. When you put a cam in it you might as well change heads then go to the throttle body Andy says to use. He did all of this to my last car and it was night and day difference. Do what he says as he will not have you spend money on mods that is not needed.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I have have a Bo White TB with the half shaft mod and I enjoy it.

The stock LSA TB on our cars is very good though.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I ran a Vmax LSA ported TB and the throttle response was much better than stock with no tune or issues.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
Lil_v6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Will a 2010 camaro v8 throttle body fit on a 2010 camaro v6
Lil_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #7
Fishinfirefighter

Alright, well I went ahead and ordered the gold blade ls7 TB since it was stupid cheap and if it doesent offer anything over stock throttle response Ill just return it (gotta love amazon lol). Arrives tomorrow and Ill be installing it along with my moroso CC and BMR ice box which Ill do a write up on in a different thread altogether but neither of those will affect throttle response or power to skew my findings so we should be good there. Like the SE headers, Ill post up anything I feel/find from the TB here.

If its worth keeping, eventually I send it off to mamo for a port job or swap as a core since the data apparently has been proven on the ctsv platform that his P/P job mamo does is worth the money.

Last edited by Fishinfirefighter; 09-07-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I ran a Vmax LSA ported TB and the throttle response was much better than stock with no tune or issues.
One of my neighbors did the same as you on his ZL1. Claims it really makes a difference with throttle response. All he has is the ported TB and Roto-Fab CAI... No tune. I'm thinking about doing the same.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
One of my neighbors did the same as you on his ZL1. Claims it really makes a difference with throttle response. All he has is the ported TB and Roto-Fab CAI... No tune. I'm thinking about doing the same.
It really did make a noticeable difference, but I don't know that it added any noticeable hp.

OP - You should get it ported. I sent mine directly to Vmax who had it done and shipped back in a matter of days (not including transit time). Also consider a LS7 TB will require some minor tuning, but not a ported LSA TB.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Fishinfirefighter

Okay, the ls7 is on. Just got back from a drive and theres a big improvement over stock. Im not sure if theres something wrong with my stock TB but there were some issues at part throttle that my tune made even worse and Ive learned to drive around it. I didnt even realize how bad it was until all the sudden I didnt experience it while driving just now. Another odd thing about the stock is when I would punch it there was a bad lag depending on RPM when the blade would actually open up and go, to the point I would test it all the time in frustration of how laggy the throttle response was. On the ls7 its still slightly there but NOTHING like the stock tb lag Im used to. Im curious how much more improvement there is in a port job. The throttle feels much more linear with the 7.
Well worth the 146 I paid from amazon and Ill be sending it to get ported along with port matching the snout soon, I pushed back my tune to have this done beforehand. Im going to drive it around for a week or 2 to make sure I dont deal with any "snapping shut" issues I read about on other forums first.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I notice a lot of lag when suddenly punching it, especially it's exaggerated in 3rd and 4th. LS7 TB swap you think would help solve that?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
Fishinfirefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I notice a lot of lag when suddenly punching it, especially it's exaggerated in 3rd and 4th. LS7 TB swap you think would help solve that?
Was beginning to think it was only mine that did that. In that regard, the ls7 is a big improvement and much quicker. I honestly thought it was in the tune or ECM related but its not obviously.
Keep in mind I havent driven a ton with it yet but I went out of my way to specifically test the WOT punch lag and its a big improvement. Ill add anything else I find or notice over the next few days.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
While the ported TB helped my lag some, the tune was the superstar. The tuners that know what they are doing regarding torque management will have you lag free.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post

Ditto. I installed the vmax and I don't think it added any power but the response was much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote