Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
lilwarrenb

Drives: Synergy Green Special Edition
Synergy green paint match?

Has anyone had any body work done to their green Camaro? I had my my car doored the other day and their insurance is going to pay for it to be fixed. My only hesitation is that I've heard this color is difficult to match. They want to paint the whole door and rear quarter panel for this little ding. Im afraid it won't match and I would rather have a little ding that's not too noticeable than have half my car a shade different color. Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with matching the synergy green metallic color? Thanks
lilwarrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I just dropped off a spoiler and my engine cover with a local custom paint shop to get them color matched to my SGM. This shop does awesome work and they are a bit concerned at being able to color match exactly since there seems to be 2 different formulas in their system for SGM. One of the formulas says it is for overall use only, i.e. repairs to body panels and blending.

Both of the guys at the shop love SGM but said it can be a nightmare to color match a high metallic paint like that. They also said that if I ever get hit, it would be better to repaint the entire car than to try and blend across panels on the same side - it's that bad to blend it.

So, yeah, your paint shop is probably telling you something that is somewhat valid. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
i had my bumper re painted but the guy did say he got the color pint from the dealer. so it wasnt color matched (supposedly)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

if anything , get it in writing that they are guaranteeing their work and the exact color. and make sure they are insured
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
lilwarrenb

Drives: Synergy Green Special Edition
Yes, it was on the forum that I heard that it was a nightmare to match. The shop didn't say too much, said it wasn't a 3 stage paint so wasn't really difficult and said he would paint it over and over until I was happy, just hate to go through all that trouble. I had a car before that had the bumper repainted and it wasn't a match. Everyone could tell and commented on it. The ding in my door now is noticeable but not bad unless you know where to look. Just hoping someone has either had no problems with it or lots of trouble before I decide to spray half of my car. Also it seems things I have had painted in the past just doesn't hold up as well as factory paint for some reason.
lilwarrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwarrenb View Post
Yes, it was on the forum that I heard that it was a nightmare to match. The shop didn't say too much, said it wasn't a 3 stage paint so wasn't really difficult and said he would paint it over and over until I was happy, just hate to go through all that trouble. I had a car before that had the bumper repainted and it wasn't a match. Everyone could tell and commented on it. The ding in my door now is noticeable but not bad unless you know where to look. Just hoping someone has either had no problems with it or lots of trouble before I decide to spray half of my car. Also it seems things I have had painted in the past just doesn't hold up as well as factory paint for some reason.

i painted my bumper but like i said the guy did buy the pint from the local dealer, so it wasnt matched like most places do.

i am re painting my bumper but all the quotes i have gotten were from 250-600. that was for paint matching which im still iffy on.

the one place i know will do a great job is 900+ and its factory paint.
the people with the matching say they guarentee which means they must re paint ituntill its matched.
if you go for it, GET IT IN WRITING !!!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
I might be a little late to the party on this one, but we had almost the exact same thing. A coworker of my wife who was riding in the car, opened the door right into a parked work vehicle. Put a small kink on the mid-line ridge of the door about a half inch from the rear edge of the door. Most people didn't notice it, but you know how it is...
It was the same thing for me. I always dreaded any kind of damage, because I know enough about paint to know you can never perfectly match any metallic. I looked into paint-less dent repair, but they couldn't do it because it was on the door seam. And I also cringed when the painter told me how big an area he might have to paint.
But he also proved to be very knowledgeable about SGM, and had done it before. He explained in detail the process they had to go through to get it just right to their satisfaction. They didn't just read the directions on the can. They experimented until they knew how to make it match, and could do it again and again with confidence.
We sent a SGM friend that needed some serious work, there, and they delivered. We finally took ours in and got it done. When we got it back three weeks ago, it was raining, so I had to wait for it to stop raining before I could get a good look at how well they had done. It stopped raining today, so I got a brief chance to look at it in sunshine. It looks great. I can't tell where the repair ends. So I'm saying it is possible to repair this stuff, you just have to have a good conversation with your painter and decide if you think they sound knowledgeable enough.
Either that; or take a road trip over the continental divide to the coast here, and I'll direct you to a guy I can vouch for!

Good luck!

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by With envy View Post
I might be a little late to the party on this one, but we had almost the exact same thing. A coworker of my wife who was riding in the car, opened the door right into a parked work vehicle. Put a small kink on the mid-line ridge of the door about a half inch from the rear edge of the door. Most people didn't notice it, but you know how it is...
It was the same thing for me. I always dreaded any kind of damage, because I know enough about paint to know you can never perfectly match any metallic. I looked into paint-less dent repair, but they couldn't do it because it was on the door seam. And I also cringed when the painter told me how big an area he might have to paint.
But he also proved to be very knowledgeable about SGM, and had done it before. He explained in detail the process they had to go through to get it just right to their satisfaction. They didn't just read the directions on the can. They experimented until they knew how to make it match, and could do it again and again with confidence.
We sent a SGM friend that needed some serious work, there, and they delivered. We finally took ours in and got it done. When we got it back three weeks ago, it was raining, so I had to wait for it to stop raining before I could get a good look at how well they had done. It stopped raining today, so I got a brief chance to look at it in sunshine. It looks great. I can't tell where the repair ends. So I'm saying it is possible to repair this stuff, you just have to have a good conversation with your painter and decide if you think they sound knowledgeable enough.
Either that; or take a road trip over the continental divide to the coast here, and I'll direct you to a guy I can vouch for!

Good luck!
That's awesome, I'm terrified of taking my car to a painters for some problem areas.
Hoping to find that one great shop
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
I get my Camaro back tommorrow from the paint shop, fix the fender chip and hood and rear trunk and spoiler for reclear coating my stripes i post pics i had the whole left door and rear quarter painted and radio antenna paint and it Matchs perfectly
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox2010 View Post
I get my Camaro back tommorrow from the paint shop, fix the fender chip and hood and rear trunk and spoiler for reclear coating my stripes i post pics i had the whole left door and rear quarter painted and radio antenna paint and it Matchs perfectly
Sounds good. Post em up when you get it
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwarrenb View Post
Hello lilwarrenb,

Have you had your vehicle painted yet? If not, I can look up the actual paint code for the "Synergy Green" on your vehicle. That should help the painters out. I would need your VIN# which you can private message me.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
I'd check into paint less dent repair first.
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green, match, paint