Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
jmack71
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT 'Vert
Muffler Delete on a Convertible..

Has anyone done it to a convertible yet?

I've seen and heard plenty of coupes with it done, and it sounds awesome IMO, but there just seems to be a lack of vert owners doing this.

Are there any kind of drawbacks to doing a muffler delete?

It just seems like it'd be the easiest/most budget friendly option.. 'Cause all I'm seeing is that most exhaust systems out now don't even fit without modification, so i was thinking that cutting the mufflers out would be a good alternative to do as i wait for exhaust systems that actually fit the 'verts without modding..

Emerald Coast Camaros Forum!
jmack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Not a bad option...gonna be a little high pitched and/or overly throaty, but good bang for your Buck. My set-ups marginally louder than just a muffler delete, don't know if id wanna hear it every morning for work, but its GREAT for play time!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
jmack71
Emerald Coast Camaros

Well, THIS is the only vert i can find with it done, but this one has resonators taken out also..

Seeing how im going to be living in a trailer park full of "studying" college students here in a few weeks, i doubt they'd appreciate something THAT loud

But, maybe something along the lines of THIS would be more suitable. Not TOO loud while idling, but when you mash the gas, you can hear a noticeable difference.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's really not all that loud. The 4 massive cats keep the volume pretty well in check.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
comm17
Racing Byrds

Drives: '16 BVM 2SS '10 IBM 2SS RS
I did a muffler delete. It really is not load, will try and put up a video this weekend.

Still plan on doing exhaust, just havent got it yet.

Thank you BECKY!!!
comm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
SSuRveyor

Drives: '06SSR,'08Z06,'11PaceCar,'67 Camaro
Muffler Delete

Hello Jmack. Are you and your trailer buddies gonna be rollin' tide or warrin' eagle? Just curious. As for muffler delete, it depends on whether you have a manual or an automatic. My Professor buddy over in Auburn (with a manual 6) had his rear cans cut out and straight (direct) piping welded in. Car sounded loud and awesome with LOTS of backfire burble and spit. It eventually became a little much for him and he had a Corsa (if I remember right) system installed.
I bought a 2011 Pace Car in April with the automatic. While following the exhaust threads for convertibles, I decided to likewise cut the cans and put in straight piping. I was gonna enjoy the loud while waiting to see what experiences forum members had with different exhausts and then order a system. Well....I went to the same shop that my buddy used and got the car up in the air on the lift. Turns out that auto cars have a big long resonator/muffler going down the tranny and driveshaft tunnel, complete with little spring-loaded flapper valves for the AFM and VCT systems. This in addition to the rear cans. No wonder my car was so dang quiet, it was expulsing through two (2!) exhaust systems. We removed the heavy stock cans and welded in straight pipes, with new tips. The central tunnel resonator/muffler was left in. After letting the car down and crankin' her up, I was underwhelmed. It was louder, but just a little so. I could see no point in adding any new exhausts, so I left it with the straight pipes, and then ran all of Hot Rod Power Tour that way. No drone, and no one ever said the least thing about it being loud. In fact, it's how it should "normally" sound.

Bottom line: if an auto, rear muffler delete is very acceptable; if a manual, delete will probably end up being a little much.
SSuRveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
gglefty

here's mine before and after... I love the sound and it cost me less than $100 to do it.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
seemy2011

Drives: 2011 red convertiable 2ss/rs
need help please i got my 2011 convertible and the 1st thing is put glass packs in it i also did that on my 2010 and loved it but when we did it on the 2011 we took out the resanator and it ran like crap. so then we put it back in and it was ok with just the glass packs but not that loud, i thought aboput a x pipe like on my 10 . will this make it louder , thanks for the help
seemy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
hey Jmack71 if you are still on the fence about this check out Solo Performance I just put on the Cat-Back system reasonably priced but sounds like it will do exactly what you want. quiet when needed but comes alive when you put your foot in it! another option would be the axle back to try and save some money but then you have to cut your existing system.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The muffler delete sounds good enough to drive guys like me out of business. The only real down side is drone....which if you drive on the highway at all, will get to you eventually. If you add headers down the road the straight pipe usually get a little over the top. Other then that they sound great for the most part.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
jmack71
Emerald Coast Camaros

See, the thing is that it's not technically "my" car.. My dad bought it for me, so i cant do anything too drastic to it.. IE headers, full exhaust systems, etc..

All i'm looking for is just a little more growl when i mash the gas, and so far it's looking like the delete will be easiest..

Thanks a lot for all of the info, though!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
luv_freedom

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS auto conv.
I just had the mufflers removed and pipe put in this morning. Tad bit louder but sounds perfect for me for a convertible automatic. If your over 40 you'll probably be satisfied. Has anyone wired open their spring loaded flapper valves? Got any pictures?
I'm not sure which way to rotate them to open them. Guess I could have someone else sit in the car and rev it up and I can watch them lol.
luv_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Thumbs up

All day, auto and cut the mufflers off, lost 40lbs and love the sound!

Lou
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
taf21979

Drives: 2013 2ss vert
I have my mufflers and resonator cut off and it sounds awesome people always ask what did you do to the car. I would buy a range device if you go that route. if your camaro is an auto,because when it drops to v4 it will sound like sh.t
taf21979 is offline   Reply With Quote