Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #7701
BVaughan77
American Muscle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
SolidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
MEs: Theres enough of you on here I'm hoping someone may be able to help! What do you use to draw gears? what about simulating gears?

I am trying to draw some gear trains for a patent application, and haven't had any luck with anything I've been using. I picked up some gear simulation software, but it wouldn't let me do some of the things I'm trying to do (such as create a gear with both internal and external teeth)

Eventually I'd also like to simulate my gear trains for optimizations sake, and to calculate the specs for the parts prior to putting in an MO.

I used Catia when I was in college, but that is unreal how pricey it is. I think I'm going to probably end up having to buy SolidWorks, but its kind of pricey too (although a lot cheaper than Catia, it gets a lot more expensive, especially when I pick up the simulation add-on, but we don't need to use the stress analysis features yet, so would be willing to use a less-impressive software package) AutoCad Inventor may also do it, but I haven't been able to figure that out for sure yet.

Any insight? What would you recommend?

Hey Brooks,

SolidWorks is what I used in college to make a Right angle speed reducer (RASP), which is kind of like a differential. A input shaft goes in one way into the RASP and the out put shaft comes out perpendicular from the input shaft at a lower speed through changing the gear ratio. ANSYS is another program I used in college for Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and is a great program that can simulate contact analysis between two gears, it can give you stress, pressure, deflection plots for two gears in contact and a whole lot more. It's a very powerful program and is far more accurate than SolidWorks, but it definitely costs more than SolidWorks. In terms of just design and getting the gears made SolidWorks and AutoCAD will work, but if you want to do stress or failure analsis or any sort of FEA, I would recommend ANSYS. SolidWorks uses Cosmo for its simulations which should be good enough for what you are trying to do. Out of all the options listed, I would recommend SolidWorks for you. You can always download a trial version or possibly get a student version (or download it using a bittorrent), but if you are trying to get a patent from the design you made using the program then I guess you gotta buy it. :( I have made a positive displacement supercharger, a F-16 strike eagle turbojet engine, the RASP, an axial turbine flow meter, and some heat exchangers all on SolidWorks, so it's a good program that I recommend. I attached some pics of the Strike eagle and the RASR. If you look closely you can see the turbines and compressors in the strike eagle and the ball bears in the RASR! Yeah, I was a big nerd in college, hahah!
Attached Images

Mods: Cold Air Inductions, MTI, Kooks, Borla, Ported and polished TB, Custom Dyno Tune, NGK, Hypertech, PFADT, BMR, DSS, JRE, Hurst, SLP, black out bowties.

GM sure did their homework on the new camaro! I just wish it had better visibility...

"HP sells cars, Torque wins races." -Shelby

"There is no replacement for displacement."
BVaughan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #7702
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Installed the ADM Scoop and Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate yesterday. Easy install and definitely a nice sound difference. Engine seems alot smoother moving through the lower powerband as well. Highly recommend this mod! Pics are here ... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...96#post3929996

Thanks for sharing. I have the Roto-Fab intake and this is on my mod list. It will be helpful when I pull the trigger on buying them.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #7703
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Where does one buy this scoop and bottle?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #7704
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Autoagenda has a deal on the two right now. That's where I got mine. I have a link on the first page of my build thread.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #7705
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Where does one buy this scoop and bottle?
No, you are done modding!

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #7706
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
ZL1 allocations

Well, if anyone is worried about not being able to get an allocation, let me know, or go see Pat O'Brien Chevy in any of their 4 stores. They got 8
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #7707
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Autoagenda has a deal on the two right now. That's where I got mine. I have a link on the first page of my build thread.
Does $189 get me the scoop and bottle relocation?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #7708
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Quote:
Yes it does. The bottle shipped straight from roto-fab and the scoop from autoagenda.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #7709
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVaughan77 View Post
Hey Brooks,

SolidWorks is what I used in college to make a Right angle speed reducer (RASP), which is kind of like a differential. A input shaft goes in one way into the RASP and the out put shaft comes out perpendicular from the input shaft at a lower speed through changing the gear ratio. ANSYS is another program I used in college for Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and is a great program that can simulate contact analysis between two gears, it can give you stress, pressure, deflection plots for two gears in contact and a whole lot more. It's a very powerful program and is far more accurate than SolidWorks, but it definitely costs more than SolidWorks. In terms of just design and getting the gears made SolidWorks and AutoCAD will work, but if you want to do stress or failure analsis or any sort of FEA, I would recommend ANSYS. SolidWorks uses Cosmo for its simulations which should be good enough for what you are trying to do. Out of all the options listed, I would recommend SolidWorks for you. You can always download a trial version or possibly get a student version (or download it using a bittorrent), but if you are trying to get a patent from the design you made using the program then I guess you gotta buy it. :( I have made a positive displacement supercharger, a F-16 strike eagle turbojet engine, the RASP, an axial turbine flow meter, and some heat exchangers all on SolidWorks, so it's a good program that I recommend. I attached some pics of the Strike eagle and the RASR. If you look closely you can see the turbines and compressors in the strike eagle and the ball bears in the RASR! Yeah, I was a big nerd in college, hahah!
Excellent... Thanks for posting.

I designed some stuff in college also, but I just used AutoCad and Catia. Catia was great, but when they started talking FIVE DIGITS to buy it I just ended the convo right there...

I'm going to go ahead and pick up solidwords. I figure if I can use AC and Catia, solidworks should be pretty quick to learn.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice! You gave me the confidence to pick up Solidworks.

Side note, since I'm a college professor, I can get the student version trial, which is a little more extensive than the "free trial". I'm picking it up just to try it out, and then I'll buy the full version once I am happy with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Autocad lets you get their stuff for free for up to 3 years as a student with an annual confirmation that you're still in an academic status. Only crappy part is you get something that goes on the printouts that says student version. I'm using 2011 for drafting; haven't used the 3D stuff in years but its an extensive list of stuff you can get.
The other catch is you can't use it for commercial purposes!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)

Last edited by Arachnyd; 10-26-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #7710
Synner

Drives: cars
Autocad lets you get their stuff for free for up to 3 years as a student with an annual confirmation that you're still in an academic status. Only crappy part is you get something that goes on the printouts that says student version. I'm using 2011 for drafting; haven't used the 3D stuff in years but its an extensive list of stuff you can get.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #7711
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
The other catch is you can't use it for commercial purposes!
True. But right now I'm using it to work on my engineering management thesis so I'm ok with that limitation. Also for work I typically review construction plans but don't necessarily create or do full drafting.

Are you doing some moonlighting as an engineer for hire or do you just need it for school stuff?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #7712
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Yes it does. The bottle shipped straight from roto-fab and the scoop from autoagenda.
Hmmm, not a bad price. I'm resisting the urge to buy that.

Jason-- I've purchased with AA. Good company and FAST as heck shipping.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #7713
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
I got the scoop directly from ADM and I got the washer bottle from Apex.

The Roto-Fab washer bottle would not fit next to my Roto-Fab cover only because I have a little cover over the positive battery terminal. I like the way the Apex washer bottle fits too.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #7714
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
My Camaro service manual came in today!! I'm so excited-countless hours of reading enjoyment!! Woohoo!

Tags
boringeversincehausleft, doesanyoneactuallyreadthislol, drew10stealsbolts, funny tags are funny, hrpii is pregnant, iroc204hp, irocababy, irocabigsticktobeatyouall, irocansshole, irocarubmark, irocasuspension, irocfluffyslippers, irocgrocerygetter, irocinsomnia, irocsshole, the jeopardy song, trackdaymidohio, whogetsridoftheircamaro4ajeep, whydotheyhatechubby?