Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Question 400 RWHP L99: Bolt-ons only?

Is this feasible? I don't need a 9 second car, and I definitely don't have the cash for forced induction but I would like to have some bite to back up the bark, especially when pulling up next to five-0s...

Anyone achieve this?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Is this feasible? I don't need a 9 second car, and I definitely don't have the cash for forced induction but I would like to have some bite to back up the bark, especially when pulling up next to five-0s...

Anyone achieve this?
By "bolt ons" are you against going into the engine at all...???

The reason I ask is this... I would think it would be easily attainable with a good exhaust, LT's, a cam, possibly doing away with AFM, (LS-3 conversion) and a good tune...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
By "bolt ons" are you against going into the engine at all...???

The reason I ask is this... I would think it would be easily attainable with a good exhaust, LT's, a cam, possibly doing away with AFM, (LS-3 conversion) and a good tune...
I would LOVE a nice lumpy cam, but it's not a a realistic goal right now, and probably won't be for awhile...

On the agenda right now are: CAI, tune, and headers (possibly shorties, stupid CA carb laws )

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Get the CNC Throttle Body Also.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
I would LOVE a nice lumpy cam, but it's not a a realistic goal right now, and probably won't be for awhile...

On the agenda right now are: CAI, tune, and headers (possibly shorties, stupid CA carb laws )
you might be able to perform the LS-3 conversion anyway... if you find the right person that is building a motor for F/I.

How.... Well, in my case, I am having a fully forged rotating internals stroker LS-3 built for twins turbo's. I will have the lifters and cam shaft left over, but they are already spoken for. I'm giving them to a friend so he can do a conversion. I'm not sure what all it entails, but there it is...

Ask around, and maybe you'll get lucky and find someone willing to sell you those pieces needed for a reasonable price...

good Luck... are there not any LT headers available that are Carb legal, or is it the moving of the cats that messes things up... No offense, but damn I'm glad I don't live in California.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:

Anyone achieve this?

First of all.....We all need 9 second street cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You won't get to 400 rwhp without a cam. Lt's, CAI, and a tune will put you around 370. I'm not sure about the TB but figure 8 rwhp to be safe. You're still quite a bit short but 380 in an L99 is pretty gd and will do what you want. You could always add a converter, pretty easy bolt on, and feel like you have 450 rwhp. It will be your car launch really quick.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
nitrous.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Where there is a will, there is a way.

I think it is borderline feasible. but one has to be fairly dedicated to do it

a victor jr or carry's intake, 2" headers, edelbrock hi flow elbow, moroso electric water pump on a l99 car sitting on some bogarts with 26" tall tires that are over inflated

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
cam is about the only thing that's gonna get you there.... the other thing is the shorty headers. Even hooked to high flow cats aren't gonna give a whole lot.... at best I would think 15 to 20 whp with a tune.

I'm not familiar with California emissions but LTs with cats work? That would be your biggest gainer from all the bolt ons.

Just as some info.... I have a friend who has a LS3 with cold air, shorty headers, SOLO HF cats, and tune... and just made it 400whp. He was like 385 without headers and tune....

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
cam is about the only thing that's gonna get you there.... the other thing is the shorty headers. Even hooked to high flow cats aren't gonna give a whole lot.... at best I would think 15 to 20 whp with a tune.

I'm not familiar with California emissions but LTs with cats work? That would be your biggest gainer from all the bolt ons.

Just as some info.... I have a friend who has a LS3 with cold air, shorty headers, SOLO HF cats, and tune... and just made it 400whp. He was like 385 without headers and tune....

Sent from my EVO 4G
You might be able to get there with the following:
Long Tube Headers
Ported Throtte Body
CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Tune

Not sure about shorty and hight flow cats.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

CA carb laws won't allow me to touch the cats :(

I believe Edelbrock has some ported LT's that will pass the sniffer, (for gen 4 anyway) but the visual will flop like a dying fish :/

Granted I don't have to smog for almost 5 years, so what the hell

Even if I stick with bolt-ons tho, this won't be an overnight process... Money's still gonna be tight, so one step at a time. I read an article in Camaro Now called "Triple Play" in which they took a stock LS3, added LT's, CAI, and a tune and got 404RWHP out of the car.

I would love to go straight for an LS3 conversion, with a cam, but invasive procedures like that cost bucks. You guys have thrown out alot of great ideas, I have alot to look into!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
This can be done. Mine laid down 401rwhp with the mods below. Intake, ram air, long tubes, no cats, catback exhaust, and a tune.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
CA carb laws won't allow me to touch the cats :(

I believe Edelbrock has some ported LT's that will pass the sniffer, (for gen 4 anyway) but the visual will flop like a dying fish :/

Granted I don't have to smog for almost 5 years, so what the hell

Even if I stick with bolt-ons tho, this won't be an overnight process... Money's still gonna be tight, so one step at a time. I read an article in Camaro Now called "Triple Play" in which they took a stock LS3, added LT's, CAI, and a tune and got 404RWHP out of the car.

I would love to go straight for an LS3 conversion, with a cam, but invasive procedures like that cost bucks. You guys have thrown out alot of great ideas, I have alot to look into!

you can do the conversion yourself (physically speaking) to save a little money.

but for the power you want and to still pass CAFE/CARB/etc without having to buy the higher priced "CARB certified" stuff....

Nitrous. just hide the install very well.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
This can be done. Mine laid down 401rwhp with the mods below. Intake, ram air, long tubes, no cats, catback exhaust, and a tune.
Dude NICE! There is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you can do the conversion yourself (physically speaking) to save a little money.

but for the power you want and to still pass CAFE/CARB/etc without having to buy the higher priced "CARB certified" stuff....

Nitrous. just hide the install very well.
Unfortunately I'm not nearly qualified to do the LS3 conversion myself :/ Even with the know-how I'd have to find someone nice enough to let me take over their garage for a couple weeks as I live in a apartment. The apt is pretty cool about me working on the car in the lot (I do my own brakes, etc and they haven't said a word as of yet) but anything that can't be wrapped up in one day, and/or leaves stains on the blacktop wouldn't fly...

N20 would def get the job done, and is a fairly easy install right? (If done correctly) But it is highly illegal and kinda volatile, no?

I'd like to pass smog, but that isn't completely paramount. Like I said I have a few years left, so as long as I can return it to a passable state without too much trouble when that time comes, I'm a happy camper