Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Fubar

Drives: SW 2SS/RS M6
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

wash
clay
wash
polish
glaze
wax
sealant
Just to clarify and make sure everyone understands the process should actually be (is starting from the top)
  1. Strip Wash
  2. Clay
  3. Rewash
  4. Aggressive Polishing (as needed)
  5. Moderate Polishing (as needed)
  6. Finish/Refining Polishing
  7. Sealant
  8. Glaze
  9. Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
so using the steps above, now it 2or 3 weeks later i wash my ride, i cannot use the brilliant glaze any more and i have already did the americana as the last step 2 to 3 weeks earlier?

lupe
You can... the thing to understand though is that glazes contain solvents, which will break down some of the wax on the surface, SO... ideally you'd want to just do a fresh coat of wax if you need a quick touchup post wash.

If you do opt to do the glaze, then its in your best interest to also follow that with a coat of wax as the glaze will have broken your wax down to some degree.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Tecca

Drives: ...
Thanks for clarifying I really need to stay away from adam's topics LOL..

If possible though I would like to say that Danase, EZ Creme, and Lime Prime glazes should be applied before the sealant. As they will break down the sealant, plus durabilty is also a issue.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
What's going on today, bad decisions and bad information flying around.

The last three steps if you chose to do it is Glaze, Sealant, then wax. You cannot apply a sealant over wax.

Also you should not apply a glaze over a sealant for many reasons. Although there are some glazes you can you have to be careful.

First a glaze acts as a cleanser, filler, adds gloss and slickness. Some glazes have detergents and abrasives that will remove the sealant/liquid wax if applied over it. Also some glazes have bonding agents that help selants bond to the paint and/or glaze.
+1 This is what I always do too. Doesn't make much sense the other way around.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Just to clarify and make sure everyone understands the process should actually be (is starting from the top)
  1. Strip Wash
  2. Clay
  3. Rewash
  4. Aggressive Polishing (as needed)
  5. Moderate Polishing (as needed)
  6. Finish/Refining Polishing
  7. Sealant
  8. Glaze
  9. Wax
Ok, where do I start with a brand new car, not knowing what the dealer used?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
So if I have 2 coats of Machine Super Wax on my car, will using Brilliant Glaze effect the long term durability of the MSW?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #21
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
Ok, where do I start with a brand new car, not knowing what the dealer used?
At step 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
So if I have 2 coats of Machine Super Wax on my car, will using Brilliant Glaze effect the long term durability of the MSW?
No... but the effects of BG are very short lived if they're over a sealant so if its going to be the last thing you put down I'd only use a day before a car show or something.

Glazes are in for a good time, not a long time.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #22
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post

The last three steps if you chose to do it is Glaze, Sealant, then wax. You cannot apply a sealant over wax.

Also you should not apply a glaze over a sealant for many reasons. Although there are some glazes you can you have to be careful.

First a glaze acts as a cleanser, filler, adds gloss and slickness. Some glazes have detergents and abrasives that will remove the sealant/liquid wax if applied over it. Also some glazes have bonding agents that help selants bond to the paint and/or glaze.
funny that you're talking about bad information flying around and you just gave it as everyone and dylan has said...polish, sealant, glaze, wax (if you're using the sealant)

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
funny that you're talking about bad information flying around and you just gave it as everyone and dylan has said...polish, sealant, glaze, wax (if you're using the sealant)
Actually it depends on the product... like he mentioned, some glazes are meant to be applied first, ours isn't. Not everything follows our same product order.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
I'll let you slide her, go back and read everything word for word then if you think I still gave bad info then we will talk. I'll even highlight some key words for you.

Quote:

The last three steps if you chose to do it is Glaze, Sealant, then wax. You cannot apply a sealant over wax. It was posted that you apply sealant over wax

Also you should not apply a glaze over a sealant for many reasons. Although there are some glazes you can you have to be careful. Adam's is one of those glazes you can apply over a sealant, however as I posted you cannot put EZ Cream, Danase, Bilt Hamber, Dodo, over the sealant because it has cleansers

Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #25
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
^ i apologize...didn't see that...i stand corrected

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 2SS View Post
The sealant should be applied before any glaze or wax so it can bond with the paint. It then needs time to cure before glaze and wax are applied over it.
Ahhhhh somebody understands what is going on.. Thanks! I cant believe how many put it on over the wax...Of course Adams wont tell you but it will wear off in a matter of days that way...It is a sealer, a conditoner for the clear coat so to speak...Its not a replacement or a wax coat or wear layer unto itself...
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote