Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2010 Camaro5 Fest (I)

Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
My trip down to Valdosta--the bad and the good

Well, picked up the car this morning from getting the 3M clear bra replaced on the top fascia, which still has a bubble along an edge, but anyway we left this morning around 10 from Winston-Salem, beautiful sunny morning. We eat some breakfast, get some cash out from the ATM and hit the interstate. THE BAD--We were on the interstate literally a couple of minutes and I see a dump truck in the right hand lane, which I am in, but at least 300-400 yards away, so I joke to Holly (my fiance), "there's my enemy, those damned dump trucks and their rocks", and I go ahead and merge to the left lane and no sooner I got those words out of my mouth and still about 300-400 yards away, and BAMMMMM! huge rock bust a quarter-size chip near the top of the windshield. I cussed every 4 letter word out there and just couldn't believe it, you've got to be kidding me! that it woud happen that quickly after just starting the trip going to Camaro5Fest. I was so mad! Talk about bad karma. It was like it happened on purpose or something, you know, divine intervention, but the intervention I didn't want! My fiance was so upset for me, she was actually crying.

THE GOOD-So I call my insurance agent and tell him what happened and within 20 minutes I had someone from the autoglass place calling me. They could actually have it replaced while I was in Valdosta, but only on Saturday, so I said that wouldn't work since I'm at the event, but got an appt where Holly would be at the house on Monday, off work and they'll replace it there. Very satisfying experience. so I'm over it now, but just the biggest coincidence it would happen as I first start off to the event.

Other than that, it was good, just killed about 1000 bugs on the way down, so getting a good detail in the morning. For those coming in on I-75, lots of construction, with grooved and cut roads, bumps, etc. for about 30 miles with a 50 mph speed limit. It really sucked with the lowered suspension.

At one point for about 20 miles, had a black Challenger SRT and Mustang GT riding with me in a triangle formation basically, which was pretty cool. The weird thing is that during the whole 530 mile trip, i saw only 1 Camaro, yes only 1! It was a Delaware plate with "NEW 69" on it.

I'm looking forward to meeting alot of people, getting some driving time, and seeing lots of nice rides.

Hope everyone has a safe trip, look out for the cops, I must have seen about 25 on the way down, most with someone pulled over. see everyone there!

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Sorry about the rock! That sucks! Everytime a bug hit the window I complained, I would have gone off if a rock had hit.

We saw tons of cops in LA and around Tallahassee, Fl. We ran with a radar detector. Guys heading this way, be on the look out, they got some sneaky hiding spots.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Those darn trucks always target me also???

Glad to hear that the repair process has already been started. Sounds like you have a good insurance agent!!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Batman0837

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS # 71394
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
Well, picked up the car this morning from getting the 3M clear bra replaced on the top fascia, which still has a bubble along an edge, but anyway we left this morning around 10 from Winston-Salem, beautiful sunny morning. We eat some breakfast, get some cash out from the ATM and hit the interstate. THE BAD--We were on the interstate literally a couple of minutes and I see a dump truck in the right hand lane, which I am in, but at least 300-400 yards away, so I joke to Holly (my fiance), "there's my enemy, those damned dump trucks and their rocks", and I go ahead and merge to the left lane and no sooner I got those words out of my mouth and still about 300-400 yards away, and BAMMMMM! huge rock bust a quarter-size chip near the top of the windshield. I cussed every 4 letter word out there and just couldn't believe it, you've got to be kidding me! that it woud happen that quickly after just starting the trip going to Camaro5Fest. I was so mad! Talk about bad karma. It was like it happened on purpose or something, you know, divine intervention, but the intervention I didn't want! My fiance was so upset for me, she was actually crying.

THE GOOD-So I call my insurance agent and tell him what happened and within 20 minutes I had someone from the autoglass place calling me. They could actually have it replaced while I was in Valdosta, but only on Saturday, so I said that wouldn't work since I'm at the event, but got an appt where Holly would be at the house on Monday, off work and they'll replace it there. Very satisfying experience. so I'm over it now, but just the biggest coincidence it would happen as I first start off to the event.

Other than that, it was good, just killed about 1000 bugs on the way down, so getting a good detail in the morning. For those coming in on I-75, lots of construction, with grooved and cut roads, bumps, etc. for about 30 miles with a 50 mph speed limit. It really sucked with the lowered suspension.

At one point for about 20 miles, had a black Challenger SRT and Mustang GT riding with me in a triangle formation basically, which was pretty cool. The weird thing is that during the whole 530 mile trip, i saw only 1 Camaro, yes only 1! It was a Delaware plate with "NEW 69" on it.

I'm looking forward to meeting alot of people, getting some driving time, and seeing lots of nice rides.

Hope everyone has a safe trip, look out for the cops, I must have seen about 25 on the way down, most with someone pulled over. see everyone there!

No SHYT! I am from De and that guy passed me when I was exiting in the Charlotte area to go fix a dent for a member there...Thats crazy.

I only saw 3 including that same one, he had a black Delaware bicentennial plate...Sorry about your windshield.
Batman0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
glad everything is turning out ok for you.have a great time.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Got back from C5Fest on Sunday night and on Monday had Safelite at the house (my fiance Holly was there, I was out of town). I was going to let them try to repair it first and go from there. So they repaired it monday. No money out of pocket. I checked it out when I got back into town on Friday. Still noticeable, basically a smaller version of the same starburst pattern. So I called this weekend and told them I'd like to have the windshield replaced and they are coming out the next time I'm in town to replace, $100 deductible. I figured it wouldn't be much better after the repair, but they tried.

Extremely nice insurance agent and Safelite reps. Very fast service and response. Holly said they took extra special care of the car since it was a "very cool" car and she told them it was my baby. I'm very pleased with my $83/month full coverage insurance on the Camaro INCLUDING my Volvo!

Hope to see everyone that had damage coming down to the C5Fest get the cars back to normal again
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
I can TOTALLY relate. Getting on the ramp for I-10 in Tallahassee after our pitstop, I got literally showered by rocks off an empty trailer. We screamed around him, but the damage was done...got to C5 Fest and counted 11 new rock chips in my front fascia (there was only 1 very tiny one before we left), and one on my roof. I'm just sick because there is nothing that can be done except replace the whole front fascia, and the custom striping.

I don't want to talk about this anymore.....
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Quote:
The weird thing is that during the whole 530 mile trip, i saw only 1 Camaro, yes only 1!
I drove I-75 for over 700 miles Thursday night/Friday monring to Valdosta and didn't even see one (1) 2010 Camaro along the way. Thought I'd run into one or two groups on their way. On the other hand, I didn't see any cops either. Good, since I had cruise control set at 80 all the way to Atlanta. No, it was not very fun south of Atlanta with all the construction and 50 mph zones. Had to slow the cruise down to 65 for the last three hours.

Quote:
Those darn trucks always target me also???
I also believe they intentionally drive off the edge of the road into the dirt and gravel when they see me in their rear view mirrors!

I only counted two rock chips. But I did get nailed with a large piece of cardboard somewhere in South Carolina coming home. Mostly surface marks, but the passenger mirror took on some damage.

I tried a temporary clear wrap on my facia and was pretty happy with it. Looks bad, but whose going to notice at 80 mph? It worked, except the two spots I didn't cover got hit by rocks. And I forgot to cover the mirrors on the way back home.

I think the clear bras are an excellent idea, especially for the front bumper and mirrors. If you can't stand the thought, try this out on your next highway trip, you just peel it off when you get there along with all those dead bugs: http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=2614&cid=80
SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatlover13 View Post
I can TOTALLY relate. Getting on the ramp for I-10 in Tallahassee after our pitstop, I got literally showered by rocks off an empty trailer. We screamed around him, but the damage was done...got to C5 Fest and counted 11 new rock chips in my front fascia (there was only 1 very tiny one before we left), and one on my roof. I'm just sick because there is nothing that can be done except replace the whole front fascia, and the custom striping.

I don't want to talk about this anymore.....
11!! I am so sorry! We just got 2 fixed. I hate to take our car on the highway anymore because of this reason!

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Glad the windshield got fixed. I think I drive too damn fast, for the rock chips to get me Bunny and Skippy can attest to that

I still have a couple on the fascia. I was thinkin of getting it clear bra'ed but don't see the point, since the amount of money spent on getting that done will equal to 3 paint jobs of of it. I can also, just go to the dealer and have them do it, I believe its under warranty.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote