Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Custom ordering

When we place an order through the dealership, on average how long does it take for the car to arrive? I realize at first the timeframe may be a bit longer due to the number of orders, but never having ordered a car, it is something I have never had to really wonder about. Also when ordering, do you agree to the pricing information upon the order or is that something that is done after the car is received at the lot?

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
When we place an order through the dealership, on average how long does it take for the car to arrive? I realize at first the timeframe may be a bit longer due to the number of orders, but never having ordered a car, it is something I have never had to really wonder about. Also when ordering, do you agree to the pricing information upon the order or is that something that is done after the car is received at the lot?
I am by no means an expert on this, but if the Corvette ordering process is of any example, the total wait time is usually on the "months" scale. Meaning, once the order is placed, it is not unreasonable to wait about 1.5 months or more until your car is delivered, assuming it isn't singled-out for a "quality-control" review process, which MIGHT delay it further.

Pricing, AFAIK, is agreed upon once the order is placed, at the dealer level. But, I'm a noob when it comes to factory orders.

I'm sure others with more first-hand experience will join-in to refute or confirm these assumptions.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
SS22

Drives: 2010 Blue Camaro RS
I think its like 6 to 8 weeks, not sure though. I think the pricing would be taken care of prior to the order being placed, keep in mind alot of dealerships dont like placing orders they prefer to sell whats on the lot.
SS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
from my understanding you put your order in and it all depends on if they are making a series of cars with that power train, color and roof (sunroof, convert) options. everything else is minor and can be changed from car to car. it could be weeks or months

but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I heard that.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I can't imagine there being too much to order if the initial release notes mean anything.

You get an LS, 1LT, 2LT, or SS...and you get an RS package on top of any of those. Insert your favorite color paint and interior colors here and that's about as custom as it's going to get.

Unless some more info or speculation has happened that I've missed (been out and about for a few days and things can change quickly in these times!!)
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
ChrisL

Drives: 2000 Firehawk #295
it is very likely Chevy will be accepting orders before pricing is released. since this is a new car, on a new line, the initial orders could take a while. also remember, GM is going to accept orders months before the 1st car is built...
His - 2000 Firehawk #295
Hers - 2004 GTO
Boys - 2008 Yukon XL Denali
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
as little as 4 weeks, up to 8 weeks. Usually you'll need your deposit down, and then the final paperwork is done after the car has arrived. (unless you're ordering from one dealer and drop shipping to another dealer, then the car has to be paid for before it is delivered.)

The price is in your contract at the time of order. The only thing that could happen (unless the dealer is crooked...) is the price could be adjusted because of incentives at the time of delivery.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
as little as 4 weeks, up to 8 weeks. Usually you'll need your deposit down, and then the final paperwork is done after the car has arrived. (unless you're ordering from one dealer and drop shipping to another dealer, then the car has to be paid for before it is delivered.)

The price is in your contract at the time of order. The only thing that could happen (unless the dealer is crooked...) is the price could be adjusted because of incentives at the time of delivery.
So, for instance...say they are doing a $2,000 cash back...and you order...then when it arrives that incentive is no longer there.. You aren't eligible for that incentive? Likewise, if there wasn't an incentive at the time of order and then when the car arrives there is a $2,000 cash back...you are eligible for that?

(I understand the chances of ANY incentives at launch time are less than slim and none...but I'm curious on any future purchases).
Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
minibus135

Drives: VW GTI
If they readily have the car you have optioned, in stock, it won't take too long for it to arrive. About 3~4 weeks is what it took when I ordered a GTI. But since there might be a lot of demand, with the high anticipation of this car, I suspect it to arrive within 5~6 weeks. It's entirely a guess though according to my personal experience.
minibus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
ChrisL

Quote:

You'll be able to take orders before pricing is set. I'm sure you saw the IDL. Order bank willl open in the fall. Production wont start until Feb.
His - 2000 Firehawk #295
Hers - 2004 GTO
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #11
ChrisL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
So, for instance...say they are doing a $2,000 cash back...and you order...then when it arrives that incentive is no longer there.. You aren't eligible for that incentive? Likewise, if there wasn't an incentive at the time of order and then when the car arrives there is a $2,000 cash back...you are eligible for that?

(I understand the chances of ANY incentives at launch time are less than slim and none...but I'm curious on any future purchases).
that is correct. you get whatever incentives are in place at time of delivery. that fine print is on every manufacturer's ads.

"must take delivery by xx/xx/xx"
His - 2000 Firehawk #295
Hers - 2004 GTO
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Incentives are good at the time of delivery, not the time of purchase.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Incentives are good at the time of delivery, not the time of purchase.
So at time of order you pay what? MSRP, Invoice?

And when you take delivery, you would get whatever discounts are available.

My point being, the price at delivery should be the same or go down, not up, since you don't figure in discounts at time of order?

Yes?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Correct, pricing isn't figured with incentives at the time of the order. When the car is delivered, any incentives will be included in the contract.

The price you pay at the time of order is the price that is agreed by both dealer & buyer...MSRP, $300 over invoice, or what ever. Subtract Chevy incentives from that at delivery.