Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
blinkme323

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm sorry but you sound like you're trying to make the Genesis Coupe sound better than it is. They spec'd it against the Ford Mustang GT. Great car to benchmark if you're making an affordable RWD 2+2 but the Hyundai engineers did not focus on outperforming it like those at GM did. They went to give it better fuel economy, a better interior, better handling, and probably fit&finish/build quality. To meet the price point of the Mustang and all those other objectives, they had to sacrafice acceleration. But as I understand it, we are talking about price and performance of the 1SS vs Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

If the magazine tests are getting 5.7-6.0, I don't care if you're the greatest driver in the world, the same car will not do 5.1s. I've also seen mid 6's for 0-60 and I ignored those as well. If you want to go and use the absolute best possible for 1 car, use it for both cars. If so, the Camaro does 0-60 in 4.5s and the 1/4 in 12.7@ 112 mph. Either way, the SS vastly out performs the Genesis in a straight line and is right on its heels in the turns. Take the two to any track and the Camaro should win.

You said "Not bad for a v6 Hyundai." I'll give you that, because it is true. However, for a car to be a serious contender, the qualifiers have to be removed or relate so some standard of excellence. Fast for a Porsche means a whole lot more than fast for a Hyundai. Likewise, a good interior for a Chevy is a whole lot different than a good interior for an Audi. To put it another way, Hyundai Genesis is not at the top of any lists when it comes to cars with a "fast V6" just like the Camaro doesn't spring to mind when mentioning "Great interior".

As for pricing, I went to Hyundai.com and Chevrolet.com. The 3.8 Track starts at $30 250. The 1SS starts at $31 040. If you want to compare loaded models, things get a bit silly. Who wants a loaded 1SS? But anyways ... it becomes $31 750 vs $40 000 even for a loaded 1SS. That includes striping, sunroof, GFX, body coloured engine cover, upgraded stero, rally sport package, automatic transmission, car cover. Everything except for premium paint and different wheels. The only optional equipment that I saw on the 3.8 Track is the choice of a $1500 automatic transmission. So, there really is no 'loaded 3.8 Track', there is manual or automatic. In which case, the automatic 1SS is within $300 of the auto 3.8 Track. It doesn't get much closer than that for two competing cars.
5.7-6.0 0-60?

The only site that got those numbers was Edmunds, who refused to launch the car for some reason. Every other mag has gotten numbers in the 5.3-5.6 range. Still not faster than the SS I know, but right where it needs to be to compete with the G37's of the world which was it's intended purpose to begin with.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #44
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
I don't get it, the genesis coupe is not bad looking... but.... it looks like a pokemon to me from the front....
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #45
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
I agree. Kinda funny how some people can be so ignorant. People really need to get past the "It's a Hyundai" factor. I don't care what it beat. The matter is, is that it beat the v6 camaro, in which is the same in horsepower numbers. People need to stop saying "It barely beat it", no one cares, a win is a win. Way too many fan boys of one certain type of car.
Beating a V6 Camaro is nothing to be proud of. Its no better than beating a V6 Mustang or a V6 Challenger. The 6 cylinder versions of all those cars are maintream base models. For 31K, the Genesis can only hang with a $23K Camaro. They appeal to people who generally aren't as interested in performance as the ones who buy the V8 model. So for almost the same amount of money, you can have a V6 Hyundai or a V8 Camaro. Thats a no brainer. Especially considering Hyundai's extremely shady track record of crappy powertrains, poor build quality, and horrible resale value. In fact, I think the majority of Hyundais and Kias often don't make it to the point of being resold before they fall apart, so resale value may not even be a factor for many owners.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #46
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Since I have owned 3 Hyundais I will weigh in.

2001 Hyundai XG300L (Hyundai's first Nice car)-- It was real nice, but resale was horrible, powertrain and bumper to bumper stuff was no problem. a few tiny things but that is it. (It was actually stolen from me)--- I know who would steal a Hyundai right.. but trust me it looked real nice. Nice tint, Nice aftermarket chrome wheels, a nice custom stereo system. I always kept it immaculate looking.)----

2000- Tiburon ( 5-speed)--- actually had before the previous car.
To what it was meant to be compared to, it was a great little car, Civic, Celica, all the other 4 bangers with a hint of sportiness. - No problems with it, Liked it.

2005 Hyundai XG350L (basically the same care as the first car) a small face lift, and .5 larger engine-- style is a bit tired at this point- car has ran great so far- only had one service call (warranty) in 3.5 years of owning it. It was a sensor. Resale is absolutely horrible though.

But with all that said, No way would I compare those cars to a Camaro- Herritage, style, power, iconic...

Now that I have my G8 GT-- I hate driving the XG350L- We only have one set of car seats, and I hate taking them in and out, so we end up driving the XG more than I would like. But God, have I realized just how boring and blah the Hyundai is to drive.

So cliff notes-- Hyundai's reliability isn't the issue. Its the blah factor, and it has it.

The new Genesis and G. Coupe have helped some with that, but they don't have typical Hyundai pricing either.
A fully loaded Genesis coupe is over 40K-- are you kidding me? No thanks
the Coupe is over 30K- no thanks.
________
Angelina Jolie Nude

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #47
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
As for pricing, I went to Hyundai.com and Chevrolet.com. The 3.8 Track starts at $30 250. The 1SS starts at $31 040. If you want to compare loaded models, things get a bit silly. Who wants a loaded 1SS? But anyways ... it becomes $31 750 vs $40 000 even for a loaded 1SS. That includes striping, sunroof, GFX, body coloured engine cover, upgraded stero, rally sport package, automatic transmission, car cover. Everything except for premium paint and different wheels. The only optional equipment that I saw on the 3.8 Track is the choice of a $1500 automatic transmission. So, there really is no 'loaded 3.8 Track', there is manual or automatic. In which case, the automatic 1SS is within $300 of the auto 3.8 Track. It doesn't get much closer than that for two competing cars.
Thats because the Gen Coupe has all the options in the Camaro already "loaded" in the base price 3.8 Track model. The only option is a $1500 auto.

All the "options" in the Camaro, are standard on the 3.8 Track model.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #48
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Hell, next model year navigation is going to be standard as well.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #49
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher View Post
I don't get it, the genesis coupe is not bad looking... but.... it looks like a pokemon to me from the front....
I find this entire thread very interesting to say the least. I can't imagine anyone wanting a genesis coupe over a Camaro SS. I just can't even imagine it.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
5.7-6.0 0-60?

The only site that got those numbers was Edmunds, who refused to launch the car for some reason. Every other mag has gotten numbers in the 5.3-5.6 range. Still not faster than the SS I know, but right where it needs to be to compete with the G37's of the world which was it's intended purpose to begin with.
And Car and Driver, and Motor Trend. The fastest I have seen a magazine do was 5.5, and that was Motor Trend. Edmunds did not get 5.7 before the re-flash, they had 6.4 (6.1 with 1ft roll out) before. Others were right around 6.0, give or take a tenth.

If it makes everyone feel more comfortable, I will conceed that the Gen Coupe isn't 5.7-60, its more like 5.5-5.8s, while the Camaro is 4.7-5.0s. Is everyone OK with that? Or what if I word it another way ... the Camaro is roughly 0.8s faster to 60 than the genesis coupe is.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #51
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
And Car and Driver, and Motor Trend. The fastest I have seen a magazine do was 5.5, and that was Motor Trend. Edmunds did not get 5.7 before the re-flash, they had 6.4 (6.1 with 1ft roll out) before. Others were right around 6.0, give or take a tenth.

If it makes everyone feel more comfortable, I will conceed that the Gen Coupe isn't 5.7-60, its more like 5.5-5.8s, while the Camaro is 4.7-5.0s. Is everyone OK with that? Or what if I word it another way ... the Camaro is roughly 0.8s faster to 60 than the genesis coupe is.

How about the 0-100mph stats?

Based on Motortrend testing for both cars.

Camaro SS (0-100mph) - 10.5/11.1 sec
Genesis 3.8 ( 0-100mph) - 14.3/13.7 sec

As the speeds increase, so does the SS's dominance.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
How many hundreths is that? Thousandths? ...Can you rephrase it to sound beneficial to the Hyundai?

This thread is beginning to get comical.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #53
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
How many hundreths is that? Thousandths? ...Can you rephrase it to sound beneficial to the Hyundai?

This thread is beginning to get comical.
I tried, but I can't think of a way to make 8/10ths sound beneficial to Hyundai. Oh, and as for hundredths and thousandths ... that just makes it look worse because its a bigger number (80 hundredths, 800 thou). Wait, I've got it! The Hyundai is only 0.000009259 days behind the Camaro in a race to 60 mph.

Anyway, I'm surprised at the focus on making it clear how dominant the Camaro is in acceleration, compared to the handling qualities of the two cars. If the Hyundai was ever to beat the Camaro in a race, that's how it would have to do it. But then again, racing a circuit is different than running timed laps on the same course. A good handling car that can be finessed will be better suited to timed laps. But on a race course with other cars around you, its harder to get that perfect line.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genesis coupe, hyundai