Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #57
PMD GTO

Drives: G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Umm... have you driven a camaro yet?? I hope the GXP got your expectations down... A WHOLE LOT... otherwise you will most likely be disappointed.
+1 Coming from a Wankel driver trying to pander to Camaro fans, I think he is in need of a reality check.
PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:40 AM   #58
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Quote:
Also is it not interesting that the 2010 Camaro 1/4 mile record right now was set with a auto tranny
Correction, I believe it was a modified L99 with the auto tranny. Sticks are fun if you like to shift and are after that experience but these auto's are quick too!!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #59
rmbrady

Drives: 68 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
I drove a GXP and it was almost an insulting experience. Everything to do with driving is vague; the steering meanders, the pedals are in a different timezone than the rest of the car, and the brakes only decide to bite at a certain and unnervingly long depth of pedal travel. It gets up to speed without getting excited about it, there's no violence, no sound, and the tranny just doesn't seem to care for being abused on a hard launch. The car felt ten years old off the showroom floor. The radio is perhaps an afterthought, mounted in such a way as to perpetually catch any light source and require its own sunshade even on an overcast afternoon. Climate control has a mind of its own and the window actuators are right where your hand comes down while you're wondering where the cupholders are. I never found the door locks. A great vista of blobby plastic rises majestically over the part of the dash where you used to take note of where your hood was. The wheel telescopes, amazingly, but already sits on so long a stalk as to require you to assume a bobsled-like pose if you're under 6'5. It has something like 145 air/ballastbags to accentuate the billet-iron doors and seat bolsters, an effort to meet Pontiac's ever-estimable weight requirement. The salesman offered to fill the tires with radon. It costs a great deal more than it should, then gets slapped with a gas tax, while looking and feeling no more fun than a trip to the proctologist.
This is interesting considering the GXP has seen more praise from the media than the Camaro has recieved.
rmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #60
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbrady View Post
This is interesting considering the GXP has seen more praise from the media than the Camaro has recieved.
Maybe he drove the G6 GXP?? The G8 GXP is built on basicly the same chasis, (ZETAI vs ZETAII), has the same engine in the M6 (LS3), same tranny T6060, and handles like a freaking dream. Oh, and the breaking, I think if anything, the breaking in the G8 GXP is too sensitive. Those 14" Brembo's up gront stop on a dime. Maybe the dealer just put GXP emplems on it ;-)
daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #61
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel@txangl.com View Post
Maybe he drove the G6 GXP?? The G8 GXP is built on basicly the same chasis, (ZETAI vs ZETAII), has the same engine in the M6 (LS3), same tranny T6060, and handles like a freaking dream. Oh, and the breaking, I think if anything, the breaking in the G8 GXP is too sensitive. Those 14" Brembo's up gront stop on a dime. Maybe the dealer just put GXP emplems on it ;-)
Sorry about my spelling. Was in a hurry.
daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #62
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
I picked up a GXP in April, foregoing my Camaro 2SS for now.
The auto-trans GXP is a 'point & shoot' wonder.
Too fast. I barely even tap its potential most of the time.
I've shown my exhaust tips to Audis, BMWs, Lexii, lesser Jaguars and an Aston Martin (model ?) on Route 1, heading south near Highland Park, NJ.

I imagine the Camaro 2SS, with the right person behind the wheel, is as swift as the GXP. Haven't come up against one of those yet.
The best part of the GXP, as it pertains to its capabilities, is in its tastefully appointed and unassuming appearance. A 'sleeper' of sorts.
It's exhilarating to accelerate up to, or just a bit over, the legal speed limit and leave the drivers of other machines slack-jawed.

Ought to be profiled on "Modern Marvels- Last of the V8 Dinosaurs Edition"
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #63
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
The problem is you can't find a GXP anymore even if you wanted one. There are like none to be found around here in NJ so I can't even find one to test drive. And it isn't going to be any easier to find one now that Pontiac is gonzo
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #64
PMD GTO

Drives: G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbrady View Post
Sounds like he is trying to channel the humor of Jeremy Clarkson.
PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #65
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982camaro View Post
sorry, it's just that in my area all i see is immature teenagers in cobalt SS's. By immature i mean reving their engine for no reason, doing peel-outs, and thinking they are world class drivers when they just barely got their license.
LOL you mean like the Muscle Car owners doing burn outs and such ? If you don't occasionally make an offering to the god of rubber, then the god of rubber will force you to drive a Prius. (BTW, I'm 40 and have a Cobalt SS- good performance, crazy handling, 26.7 combined city/freeway for the last 2 tanks with erratic driving thrown in. What's not to love ).

But I don't understand why this would surprise people. .1 seconds is margin of error difference and it's basically the same car for all intents and purposes. The weight difference is only about 100 lbs vs the SS auto.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #66
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
I agree.
And it's not your opinion, it's a fact.

11's=quick stock
10's=fast stock
9's=fast
i thk both of you are nuts!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #67
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
LOL you mean like the Muscle Car owners doing burn outs and such ? If you don't occasionally make an offering to the god of rubber, then the god of rubber will force you to drive a Prius. (BTW, I'm 40 and have a Cobalt SS- good performance, crazy handling, 26.7 combined city/freeway for the last 2 tanks with erratic driving thrown in. What's not to love ).
But I don't understand why this would surprise people. .1 seconds is margin of error difference and it's basically the same car for all intents and purposes. The weight difference is only about 1000 lbs vs the SS auto.
FWD!!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #68
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
FWD!!!!
Ya it'd be nice if you could find a RWD package equivalent of a Cobalt SS. So far no one really makes one except for 2 seat convertables. Oh well, the handling limits are high enough that it's not really an issue except drag racing and cookies.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #69
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
I drive the G8 GT, it is nice, I have heard that the GXP is quite impressive
I would love to have a 2SS/RS 2010 Camaro, The exterior is just pure beauty!

But to person, who said he drove the G8 GXP and basically said it was a peice of crap, I would love to see what he thinks of the new camaro when and if he ever gets to drive one?

Because they are very similar in many ways, (not counting doors/looks).

Oh well, to each his/her own.
________
SCION XD

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #70
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
I drive the G8 GT, it is nice, I have heard that the GXP is quite impressive
I would love to have a 2SS/RS 2010 Camaro, The exterior is just pure beauty!

But to person, who said he drove the G8 GXP and basically said it was a peice of crap, I would love to see what he thinks of the new camaro when and if he ever gets to drive one?

Because they are very similar in many ways, (not counting doors/looks).

Oh well, to each his/her own.

I wouldnt worry about it too much because the guy saying that drives a car that feels like it should have 3 green shells revolving around it, and an italian plumber for a driver.

Last edited by KoTToN; 06-09-2009 at 10:03 AM.
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote