Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #99
TheCJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Jon Fitch among 16 fighters cut from the UFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CagePotato.com
Wow.
When we announced just hours ago that Jacob Volkmann had been cut from the UFC as part of a vast, government-led ploy to disarm the public following a 1-2 run in his last 3 fights, little did we know that his termination was just the precursor for one of the largest mass firings in UFC history. But that appears to be the case, as it was recently made public that Volkmann was but one of 16 fighters to be cut from the UFC today.
Among the dead are a few guys you probably wont recognize (C.J. Keith, Motonobu Tezuka (?), Simeon Thoresen), a few guys who probably had it coming (Vladimir Matyushenko, Mike Russow, Mike Stumpf) and a couple of guys who couldn’t find a win in the UFC if they sold their souls to Dana White Satan (the continuously underwhelming Jorge Santiago and poor, poor Jay Hieron).
However, if you were to continue looking over said list, you would find a couple inclusions that would not only make you scratch your head, but possibly shave your head, eyebrows, body hair, and nipples off in a hallucinogenic stupor. After the jump, we’ve compiled our own list of the most shocking entries.
Jon Fitch: That’s right, the man who is currently ranked at #9 on the UFC’s “official” welterweight rankings list, which were made public all of two weeks ago, has been axed for the second time in his 18-fight UFC career. While his first exit from the promotion wasn’t exactly performance-related, it’s hard to say that his second is any different. Fitch may be 1-2-1 in his past four bouts, but that lone victory came in a thrilling match over one of the division’s hottest prospects in Erick Silva. Not to mention Fitch’s thirteen other victories in the UFC. But yeah, keep trying to convince us that those rankings are anything other than a steaming pile of (adorable) dog shit.
Che Mills: 2-2 in the UFC, Mills was more than likely fired for basically giving up in the third round of his fight with Matt Riddle at UFC on FUEL 7, a move that immediately earned him the ire of The Baldfather.
Paul Sass: Talk a bout a hype-deflation. Sass came into the UFC riding a ten-fight unbeaten streak and quickly proved that he was the real deal by submitting his first three UFC opponents. However, after being dealt a taste of his own medicine compliments of Matt Wiman at UFC on FUEL 5, Sass would drop a follow-up contest to Danny Castillo, also at UFC on FUEL 7, which was apparently enough for the UFC to sever their ties with the Brit. Speaking of Brits…
Terry Etim: 6-5 UFC, on the heels of his second straight loss to Renee Forte at, you guessed it, UFC on FUEL 7 in London. Although Etim has fought just once a year since 2009 and is best known for being on the wrong end of the greatest knockout of 2012, this is still kind of a shocking entry considering the following he had gained amongst UK MMA fans. We guess shit happens when you drop a decision in your home country.
Other fighters who find themselves unemployed as of today are…
Wagner Prado: 0-2 and 1 NC, lost both fights by second round submission.
Josh Grispi: 0-4 UFC, officially became one of the biggest busts in UFC history (as we pretty much predicted) when he dropped a UD to Andy Ogle at UFC on FUEL 7.
Ulysses “Useless” Gomez: 0-2 UFC, also dropped a decision at UFC on FUEL 7. Expect several nickname-based puns to start popping up on comment boards across the MMA blogosphere any minute now.
Jacob Volkmann: We’ve already covered this one. In short, blame Obama.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #100
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Good Riddance.

As a fighter, it is typically code not to insult or disrespect another fighters ability. Referring to an unsuccessful fighter as a "can" is extremely disrespectful. Until you step in the ring/cage, you have no real right to criticise a fighter.

That being said, I do not respect or appreciate Jon Fitch's game. A fighter should always be looking to finish. Jon Fitch is a straight-up, decision seeker. I have a lot of respect for wrestlers and their ability. I am not some blood thirsty fan; grappling and control are crucial elements of the sport and I enjoy watching those aspects. However, Jon Fitch has done nothing to expand his game. As good as he is at takedowns and submission defense, he has all the opportunity in the world to expand his ground and pound top game, and submission game. He trains at AKA, one of the best camps in the world, so their is no excuse for not growing as a fighter. I loved watching Maia kick his ass at his own game. At least Maia was working for submissions the whole fight.

Fitch will not be missed.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #101
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Awesome first round by Court McGee!
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #102
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Awesome card tonight. Hendo and Lyota is a really cool style matchup. And I'm honestly excited for the girls, Rousey is nasty. She's going to pull Carmouche's arm off!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #103
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
I agree. The last two fights were awesome and now we're getting into the main card. I have no clue who is going to win between Henderson and Machida. I like both guys... hard to pick a favorite!
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #104
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I'm hoping Machida wins this one. He's more methodical and landed more clean hits.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #105
scuba264

That Machida/Hendo fight was a bit of a disappointment. 3 rounds of feeling each other out. I expected a little more excitement.

Rousey's was pretty awesome. Way more aggressive that I thought it would be right off the bat. Even though it was over in the 1st and pretty much exactly as expected, it was exciting. Great start to women in UFC. Really tough chicks.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #106
TheCJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I thought 157 was pretty solid. Loved seeing Robbie Lawlers return to the Octagon, and TKOing Koscheck was just a bonus. Machida/Henderson didnt live up to the hype, but I think it was just too much respect for each other. Rousey is just nasty. Kept her composure during the rnc attempt and then did what she does best
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #107
scuba264

Yeah, that choke attempt on Rousey really made the fight. If it was just Rousey beating up Carmouche the whole time it would have been a let down, that was great.

As usual, best fight was an undercard! I didn't even know Bermudez and Grice, but DAMN! I swear, every event there is always one undercard that just shows up everyone else haha. That was a serious brawl.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #108
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
So, I just read above that John Fitch got by the UFC? He definitely did not ever to look to finish a fight...

Also, here is the Gracie Breakdown for the Ronda/Carmouche fight:

Last edited by Iwantone2; 03-01-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #109
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #110
supercharged zl1

Drives: '13 camaro zl1 '08 daytona charger
UFC this weekend gsp vs Diaz who watching?
supercharged zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #111
supercharged zl1

Drives: '13 camaro zl1 '08 daytona charger
Don't be scared homie.
supercharged zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #112
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I'll be watching for sure. GSP is one of my favorite fighters.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote