Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #729
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
thought i would post what aluminum thats polished then clear anadized looks like,,,,these are my MTI manuel adjuster.....also received my coolant reservoir tank back from getting hydrocarbon on it...tank is roto-fab
Thanks for that info bmbbl, I just ordered the Tensioner as well a a billet pulley from MTI, to replace the stock one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Honestly all I ever used was abs because that's what pretty much every fairing is made.of. I'm in the middle of moving this week and am doing all this from a smartphone. I don't have my bookmarks or anything to share. There's.a.glazing putty that also is best for plastics as it flexes and won't crack over time. It will give you a perfectly smooth finish. It may be a week until I can get the info but I will post it up when I can. The pellets can be bought in black or white to get the color close. The best place to get how to info is.searching for motorcycle fairing repair.
You may want to check 3M, they have a bunch of good sealers.

Nathan, regarding the coil pack bolts withe the link you posted, how many is needed?

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #730
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Nathan, regarding the coil pack bolts withe the link you posted, how many is needed?
Each coil uses 2 bolts , so you would need 16 total
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #731
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
Each coil uses 2 bolts , so you would need 16 total
Indy, I think he meant how many packs of bolts , which would be 4 packs. Each pack has 5 bolts. You can use the extra bolts for the thermostat housing (same size) and believe me, you'll find a use for the other two.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #732
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
BBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Looks awesome! Great job. What intake tube is that?
Thanks 572....That is BBK CAI....I appreciate the compliment....
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #733
Synner

Drives: cars
Polyflex evercoat is the brand. This will require paint topcoat while using only the plastic repair will allow the flexibility of either paint or vinyl/plastic dye. Depends a bit on the look you're after and your concern for future recoating.
You'll need to order it online, never found a local place that carries it not even bike shops. Most of the techs don't have a clue.
Also if you don't want to use the chemicals there's plastic welding kits but they're pricey starting out. It's basically a soldering iron on steroids that melts the plastic filler material and fuses it all together. When in doubt about plastic type you can grab a broken headlight or shroud from a scrap yard. It guarantees a match but may be tough to find a cheap sacrificial unit. Then melt it down using either the chemicals or welding kit.

Last edited by Synner; 03-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #734
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Polyflex evercoat is the brand. This will require paint topcoat while using only the plastic repair.will allow the flexibility of either paint or vinyl/plastic dye. Depends a bit on the look your.after and your concern for future recoating.
Youll need to order it online, never found a local place that carries it not even bike shops. Most of the techs don't have a clue.
Also if you don't want to use the chemicals there's plastic welding kits but they're pricey starting out. It's basically a soldering iron on steroids that melts the plastic filler material and fuses it all together. When in doubt about plastic type you can grab a broken headlight or shroud.from a scrap yard. It guarantees a match but may be tough to find a cheap sacrificial unit. Then melt it down using either the chemicals or welding kit.

Synner, since I'm using the Flex-a-lite rad with the filler cap on the end, the Vararam no longer needs the hole in the middle to accommodate for the cap. Do you think it would be doable to cut the hole out and weld a plastic piece on the top and bottom and accomplish a clean look?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #735
Synner

Drives: cars
Yeah it can be done with patience but I think you've shown you have enough of that and are a glutton for punishment. For something that size I'd buy a plastic.sheet. you can get 12x12 and some other sizes from a few places. Parts express had them last I checked and they were cheap. Then use a filler rod almost like you were TIG welding. It may take a couple passes to build it up high enough to go back and sand it perfectly smooth. Then it stays 100% plastic and can be dyed to match. If its a lot of curves you may not want to attempt it but from the pics it looks flat with one angle. Warm the sheet up and bend it in a vise very very gently until it matches the angle. You may decide its too complex a shape and want to use the polyflex and a high build primer then automotive paint since you're OCD about things like me.

Last edited by Synner; 03-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #736
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Synner, since I'm using the Flex-a-lite rad with the filler cap on the end, the Vararam no longer needs the hole in the middle to accommodate for the cap. Do you think it would be doable to cut the hole out and weld a plastic piece on the top and bottom and accomplish a clean look?

Awesome !!! I'm going this same route except I'll end up with something similiar in looks to this:

#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #737
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Awesome !!! I'm going this same route except I'll end up with something similiar in looks to this:

Pilot, funny you posted a pic of carbon. I spent 2 hours and 4 minutes on my cell with Patrick from Vararam today. Wow, what a wealth of knowlegde packaged in one person! To tell you "I'm excited about what they have in the pipe line coming out soon" would be a HUGE under statement.

Without giving out too much........

1. They have what you would call for the lack of a better word, a spacer thats going to sit between the throttle-body and intake. There's over 12,000 miles of testing and the performance gains........ well, I'll just leave it at that.

Just so that most people don't discount it as just another spacer, bla, bla, bla....... there's a lot of engineering that's gone into the angle, it changes the throttle body, that affects the lower restriction of the butter fly, etc, etc, etc...... I just don't have a 30 minutes to describe all the details that were dispensed to me. Suffice to say, you'll have an improved double-digit increase throughout your torque curve.

2. For those guys who might think the Vararam leave an empty hole like if there's something missing on the drivers side, they are creating a flaring that going to from the passenger side all the way to the driver side covering a good portion of the core support. Looks like I will be getting the first one to hit the market! in a satin carbon finish!

3. They will be entering the header market. They should have product in the next three months. There's been a lot of little engineering design nuances which are going to make them unique.

Looks like I will be waiting for the first set .

Stay tuned!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #738
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Pilot, funny you posted a pic of carbon. I spent 2 hours and 4 minutes on my cell with Patrick from Vararam today. Wow, what a wealth of knowlegde packaged in one person! To tell you "I'm excited about what they have in the pipe line coming out soon" would be a HUGE under statement.

Without giving out too much........

1. They have what you would call for the lack of a better word, a spacer thats going to sit between the throttle-body and intake. There's over 12,000 miles of testing and the performance gains........ well, I'll just leave it at that.

Just so that most people don't discount it as just another spacer, bla, bla, bla....... there's a lot of engineering that's gone into the angle, it changes the throttle body, that affects the lower restriction of the butter fly, etc, etc, etc...... I just don't have a 30 minutes to describe all the details that were dispensed to me. Suffice to say, you'll have an improved double-digit increase throughout your torque curve.
A large spacer with lots of volume that unshrouds the blade sounds like a great new product. I'm interested.
2. For those guys who might think the Vararam leave an empty hole like if there's something missing on the drivers side, they are creating a flaring that going to from the passenger side all the way to the driver side covering a good portion of the core support. Looks like I will be getting the first one to hit the market! in a satin carbon finish!
Timeline? I've started to design and acquire the materials to build just such a flaring myself. Maybe I should wait and see what VR releases?
3. They will be entering the header market. They should have product in the next three months. There's been a lot of little engineering design nuances which are going to make them unique.
I wish that someone would release true equal length long tube hybrids (tri-y's) for our cars. Full length ~28" primaries into 14" secondaries into a Y collector.
Looks like I will be waiting for the first set .

Stay tuned!
Oh, yeah! I'm tuned alright...
My previous Camaros:
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #739
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
Got the Apex Air Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation installed! I did deviate from the instructions which called for the new fill neck to be mounted on the outside of the CAI. I opted to mount it inside the CAI so it is really not visible. Just have to make sure the bolt heads you install clear the a/c lines.

Stock washer bottle is a huge obstruction, and after trimming out the plastic on the lower grille I can see how this will funnel way more air to the CAI.
Attached Images

FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #740
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Oh, yeah! I'm tuned alright...
I have been hoping for the same this as you as far as the headers go. Trying to get something in the works.
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #741
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
I have been hoping for the same this as you as far as the headers go. Trying to get something in the works.
Here ya'

Wish I had the time to scratch build them but with my current schedule that's not happening. I looked into cutting the collector off an existing set of 4-1 headers and adding the secondaries, but none of the equal length headers have the correct cylinder pairings for the tri-y setup. Then I looked into having them built, but at $3,500.... well, no.
My previous Camaros:
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #742
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
Here is a couple shots of my underhood work. I have all the Techafx hose kits installed. I removed the cap from the intake manifold and had the intake painted body color and cleared. The coil covers are the Holley units that I had painted silver and then added the Camaro SS emblems too and then had then clear coated. And then the CAI intake. Next I think I am going to start polishing some of the aluminum items starting with the throttle body.
Attached Images