Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #25985
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
On another note, heading over to Hendrick Chevrolet in a bit where they are showing a C8 Vette. Will hopefully get pics!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #25986
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Hello all,

in case anyone is looking for storage for there car for the winter the place where i store mine has 2 openings it is heated storage very clean $350 for season usually has to be out by early may. PM me if you are interested i will get you the information.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #25987
ZED SLED

Well fellows, it's been real. On Aug 1 my company decided to restructure eliminating 47 of 93 jobs. Almost whole engineering and R&D staff was eliminated, just focusing on production support. On a positive note, I got almost 2 years severance plus 7 months health care.
Last month I accepted a position with Garmin, Inc. at their Cary, NC office and start Nov 4. I't's been a whirlwind what with selling our house, finding a place there, realtors, movers, and everything associated. Luckily they are relocating us including shipping the ZL1 and my Terrain. Our plan has been to move south and this is just too good of an opportunity to pass up. However, gonna miss you guys but maybe we'll be able to catch up at a major Camaro event sometime. I'll check in from time to time. Take care and keep UpstateC5 rolling.

PS: If anyone wants to take over dealing with the track for runs and such, you can contact:

Becky Mitchell | Group Sales Manager | Watkins Glen International

2790 County Rt 16 | Watkins Glen, NY 14891

p: (607) 535-3363| c: (607) 215-5793| f: (607) 535-8918

rsmitchell@theglen.com

Old 10-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #25988
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Well fellows, it's been real. On Aug 1 my company decided to restructure eliminating 47 of 93 jobs. Almost whole engineering and R&D staff was eliminated, just focusing on production support. On a positive note, I got almost 2 years severance plus 7 months health care.
Last month I accepted a position with Garmin, Inc. at their Cary, NC office and start Nov 4. I't's been a whirlwind what with selling our house, finding a place there, realtors, movers, and everything associated. Luckily they are relocating us including shipping the ZL1 and my Terrain. Our plan has been to move south and this is just too good of an opportunity to pass up. However, gonna miss you guys but maybe we'll be able to catch up at a major Camaro event sometime. I'll check in from time to time. Take care and keep UpstateC5 rolling.

PS: If anyone wants to take over dealing with the track for runs and such, you can contact:

rsmitchell@theglen.com
Dang man, that's a bummer. It sounds like a great opportunity for you and your family - definitely can't blame ya there! Upstate C5 will never be the same, but we will press on.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #25989
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Some of you guys may not have caught this on FaceBook or in my other thread - here is my wild ride post and video from the track the other night.

If you wanna skip the long read just watch the video here:

https://vimeo.com/362985300

Last night's trip to the drag strip was unlike any other time I've ever been. I'm made few hundred drag strip passes in my life, and at least 50-60 in this car alone, and never has anything remotely like this happened.

This was my 5th pass of the evening, and I was really starting to get my new Hoosier's and 2-step launch control dialed in. The 60' was the best I've ever cut with this car, and it was on what surely was going to be it's best pass ever. Unfortunately, at about the 500' mark I ran through a large puddle of coolant the truck in front of me put down. I didn't see it at all, and apparently neither did the track crew (although several spectators confirmed they saw the truck let out a large cloud of smoke at about that point). The car instantly made a quick right and headed for the wall at about 85mph. It's just not a place you expect to suddenly be fighting with a car violently out of shape. I stomped on the clutch immediately, steered into the slide, and amazing it just kept sliding for a bit - coolant is slippery stuff. Finally, the car found some grip and started to respond to my inputs, and then the fight with extremely soft and flexible drag radial tires with very low air pressure was on.

To add complexity, I was about 3 car lengths ahead of the car in the left lane. I was rapidly losing speed while sliding, and was very concerned about coming across the track right in front of him. I did my very best to catch the slide, almost kept it off the wall completely as the other car passed by, and then let it (let it? I think it was going regardless) run back towards the middle and loop out. Then, I limped off on the first return road, and spent a few seconds letting my heart rate start to come back down before hoping out and looking at the damage.

The damage is a a little worse than it looks. Yes the bumper needs paint, but it actually shoved the lower corner of the rear quarter in. Fortunately I know a good body guy, but of course it will all be out of pocket as insurance isn't going to do anything at the track. Amazingly I didn't hurt the wheel at all, just rubbed the tire ever so slightly.

I'm upset the track crew didn't go take a look after the truck before me clearly had issues. I understand they have a tough job to do, trying to get cars down as quickly as possible, and stay safe, but I would gladly spend a little extra time waiting to make sure the track is safe. The issue was so severe from the coolant that was put down that they closed that lane for the rest of the night and just ran singles in the left lane.

Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with my driving, and especially that I kept it off the car in the other lane. I'm not hurt, I was still able to drive the car on the trailer at the end of the night, I'm counting my blessings because that could have been so much worse. Stay safe and stay ready all my drag racing buddies - anything can happen out there.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #25990
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:

rsmitchell@theglen.com
Sorry to hear you're leaving us Mark! It's been a pleasure meeting up with you and the group! You were the first one I met back when I bought Big Red and was looking for a group to have some fun with, and boy did I find the right group! Thanks for all you've done for us with activities and coordinating events! Without you this Upstate C5 wouldn't be the same! Good luck with the move and new job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Some of you guys may not have caught this on FaceBook or in my other thread - here is my wild ride post and video from the track the other night.

If you wanna skip the long read just watch the video here:

https://vimeo.com/362985300

Last night's trip to the drag strip was unlike any other time I've ever been. I'm made few hundred drag strip passes in my life, and at least 50-60 in this car alone, and never has anything remotely like this happened.

This was my 5th pass of the evening, and I was really starting to get my new Hoosier's and 2-step launch control dialed in. The 60' was the best I've ever cut with this car, and it was on what surely was going to be it's best pass ever. Unfortunately, at about the 500' mark I ran through a large puddle of coolant the truck in front of me put down. I didn't see it at all, and apparently neither did the track crew (although several spectators confirmed they saw the truck let out a large cloud of smoke at about that point). The car instantly made a quick right and headed for the wall at about 85mph. It's just not a place you expect to suddenly be fighting with a car violently out of shape. I stomped on the clutch immediately, steered into the slide, and amazing it just kept sliding for a bit - coolant is slippery stuff. Finally, the car found some grip and started to respond to my inputs, and then the fight with extremely soft and flexible drag radial tires with very low air pressure was on.

To add complexity, I was about 3 car lengths ahead of the car in the left lane. I was rapidly losing speed while sliding, and was very concerned about coming across the track right in front of him. I did my very best to catch the slide, almost kept it off the wall completely as the other car passed by, and then let it (let it? I think it was going regardless) run back towards the middle and loop out. Then, I limped off on the first return road, and spent a few seconds letting my heart rate start to come back down before hoping out and looking at the damage.

The damage is a a little worse than it looks. Yes the bumper needs paint, but it actually shoved the lower corner of the rear quarter in. Fortunately I know a good body guy, but of course it will all be out of pocket as insurance isn't going to do anything at the track. Amazingly I didn't hurt the wheel at all, just rubbed the tire ever so slightly.

I'm upset the track crew didn't go take a look after the truck before me clearly had issues. I understand they have a tough job to do, trying to get cars down as quickly as possible, and stay safe, but I would gladly spend a little extra time waiting to make sure the track is safe. The issue was so severe from the coolant that was put down that they closed that lane for the rest of the night and just ran singles in the left lane.

Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with my driving, and especially that I kept it off the car in the other lane. I'm not hurt, I was still able to drive the car on the trailer at the end of the night, I'm counting my blessings because that could have been so much worse. Stay safe and stay ready all my drag racing buddies - anything can happen out there.
Holy crap!!! What a wild ride for sure! Glad you were able to collect it up with minimal damage!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #25991
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Quote:

rsmitchell@theglen.com
Mark sad to see you go good

luck with new job!

Upstate C5 has come a long way from the beginning days 9 years ago at sylvan beach! and we owe a lot of that to you and the other co-founders.
thanks for all you have done! Upstate will never be the same

Scott
Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #25992
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Mark- we will miss you and Teresa no doubt. Had some great times hanging with you both. I’d rather be in NC than NY myself. Michelle and I plan to move to NC in hopefully 2 years if all goes to plan.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #25993
Wolfco13

Drives: 45th RS Vert, 50th SS Coupe
Quote:

rsmitchell@theglen.com
Mark & Teresa, Thanks so much for everything! It's been an awesome 7 years, (and counting) due to great folks like you!
Best wishes on the new job. I'm sure our roads will merge again soon. In the meantime, this thread ain't going nowhere.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #25994
Wolfco13

Drives: 45th RS Vert, 50th SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post

- anything can happen out there.
Glad you're ok, and the damage was minor.
(Hope the track crew learned a lesson before something worse happens!)
Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #25995
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Well fellows, it's been real. ... Take care and keep UpstateC5 rolling.
Wow - sorry to see you go but really glad you found something new so quickly! We wish you all the best!
-Jeff
Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #25996
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfco13 View Post
Glad you're ok, and the damage was minor.
(Hope the track crew learned a lesson before something worse happens!)
Thanks buddy - we're having some conversations about it (the track and myself). I agree that once you light the bulbs and let that clutch go, you've just agreed to whatever happens next. But, they missed a fairly obvious and very major safety issue - definitely a big mistake on their side and they know it. We'll see how it works out.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #25997
ZED SLED

Dang! Looks like Zed Sled will be an NC resident 4 days before I am, lol.

Name:  hauler.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  113.5 KB

Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #25998
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Dang! Looks like Zed Sled will be an NC resident 4 days before I am, lol.

Attachment 1007727
How'd you get out???!!