Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #99
TeamTCA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS #21068
Again, thanks for all the props.... as far as price goes, well there is $5k worth of equipment at Retail price plus almost $3500 in materials, wiring, batts, etc. LABOR is the big cost on a job like this. Granted this one is my own personal car so I took my time and drug it out longer than it would have normally been for a "paying" customer car but time is still time. $20k labor would be a bargain on everything that is currently done and the amount of time that it took. A lot of money but nothing if you factor in how many hours it took to complete. Not to mention all the setup and tuning. So, $30,000 would be close but I don't really know if I would even do another build like this for that kind of $$$. BUT, probably so. LOL So, yes, very close to original cost of the car. Think about how much custom paint, wheels & tires, body kit and mods, and especially performance costs are on these cars (or any high performance sports car).

It kills me when I have a customer that spends $20k+ on performance & wheels on their car and then wants a sweet bad ass install for $2500. Ain't gonna happen. They are all priorities but for something "one-off", trick, and custom the time just adds up and for first-class quality work it is gonna cost. Every install that comes out of my shop is something that we are all proud of and 99% of the time the customer gets way more than they paid for. Just not too many custom install shops left anymore that take pride in what they do and the end result. Most (not all) really only care about making a few $$$ and sending you on down the street with no care if you ever return or not. Makes no sense to me and I do not operate like that.

Kenwood Excelon, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, Hertz, Audison, Illusion Audio,
Mosconi, Diamond Audio, Hybrid Audio, WetSounds, & more
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #100
TeamTCA

I will be at the Fest in August with some gear and hopefully a few custom install pieces for sale. It would be great to mass-produce several key custom install items for the Camaro but what it not realized is most of them require modification to each individual car to actually install (kicks, pods, etc). Sub enclosures, some trim work in trunk, and some "add-on" (no cutting) kicks and a-pillar pods can be built and installed into any Camaro without car mods. I think this will appeal more to the masses plus costs will be much lower. Hopefully, I will have a few items at the event....

Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #101
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
How about the rear side panels. I love the work you did on those. Can these be produced and bought? Great place for a speaker or can a sub be put in?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #102
cris

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Hello

I need help with this. I will like to do my system install like this car, I will use the stock kick panels and then modify to have something like this car....

My big problem is How I buy the original kick panels to have just in case if I sell my car. I try to find this part in internet but nothing.....

Thanks for the help
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #103
TeamTCA

Cris- I responded to your PM with all the info. Unforunately, I cannot build a set of kicks like my car without the car. Several extensive mods have to be done to the car itself before construction. Plus, speaker baffle itself must be mounted to car before any fiberglass work or "tub" can be build to ensure a precise fit. Then, the final trim work is cut and molded to the partially cut factory plastic kick panel.

I believe a replacement set of kicks for the Camaro are about $35each from a GM dealer. It is possible for me to build a set of custom kicks onto another set of OEM plastic ones without the car but overall look and performance will not be like my car but will work nicely for what it is. Bad thing is that they will definitely protrude farther into each footwell area, which is a problem for most people. My kick panels stick out only 1" farther than the factory footrest at the very front only. You have to really know that they are down there or point them out for onlookers to even notice that they are there.

I may be working on some kind of prefabbed side panel insert for the rear side speakers in the future. These would only require cutting of your OEM panels with a provided template and running of the wire. Problem again is going to be that by producing any part for these cars, without the actual car, it is very hard to add anything to it without it looking "added".

Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #104
cris

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Thanks I see the PM
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #105
autobot504

Drives: 2012 chevy camaro
anyone with 12' woofers had to get custom box to fit??
Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #106
TeamTCA

I personally have not done any cars with 12" subs yet. Mainly due to lack of proper airspace to make this size perform properly. Although, it is possible to build a custom box for the front area of the trunk with enough space to port a SINGLE 12" sub. If done correctly, this will be all that you need.

More space = more bass. Tighter, cleaner, more low end and 2 or 3 times the OUTPUT of a pair of 12"s in a sealed box. Fact.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #107
autobot504

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTCA View Post
I personally have not done any cars with 12" subs yet. Mainly due to lack of proper airspace to make this size perform properly. Although, it is possible to build a custom box for the front area of the trunk with enough space to port a SINGLE 12" sub. If done correctly, this will be all that you need.

More space = more bass. Tighter, cleaner, more low end and 2 or 3 times the OUTPUT of a pair of 12"s in a sealed box. Fact.

preciate that bro... i got two single 12" boxes and put them together... and still have ALOT of trunk space..sounds great! thanks !!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #108
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
I had to build two boxes and bolt them together once they were in the trunk to get my pair of 12W7's in there. They are sealed of course. Takes up a lot of space though. I've been thinking of selling the 12's and going with 10's and re-installing from scratch.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #109
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
It's great to see attention to craftsmanship. Good craftsmanship will NEVER go out of style and it's always apparent vs lesser work. One of the old mottos I learned was .... in dealing with customers who always wanted Low prices was:

"PRICE - QUALITY - SERVICE ; Pick Any Two!'
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #110
autobot504

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I had to build two boxes and bolt them together once they were in the trunk to get my pair of 12W7's in there. They are sealed of course. Takes up a lot of space though. I've been thinking of selling the 12's and going with 10's and re-installing from scratch.

yep, thats what i finally did... just got two singles, and pushed em together..
Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #111
Ade0d4tus

Drives: Chevy Cobalt ls
I have a couple questions regarding the resonance of the subs. First I see that you chose to port in your build and I am curious. Do you have a specific formula or method of where you port your enclosures? also do the subs tend to resonate at a particular frequency? I have had a difficult time in the past building enclosures that resonate obnoxiously resulting in a massive volume difference at different frequencies.

Closed Thread