Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Storage Unit Experience

Well it looks like this might be the first Winter the ZL1 has to go to a storage unit. I have some concerns about mice or animals getting at the car, or obviously someone breaking into the unit.

Has anyone else stored there ZL1 in a storage unit? If so, what was your experience or anything you recommend?

Thank you
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Dexcool antifreeze. I wouldn't trust the dealer to check the SC circuit, I'd make sure it was plenty good myself.
Leave the drivers window down 1cm so it opens with a dead battery is a thought I don't think I've seen mentioned but sounds good at the moment?
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
The above is good advice. I just left the drivers door open when I pulled the negative terminal. It relieves the seal but not so much as to let dust in. For thieves, pull the battery completely, set the car on jack stands and pull the wheels and remove from the storage unit. They would have to break in twice, once to realize there's no wheels or battery, then again to bring some back and install on your car to steal it. Probably the best thing is to have a storage unit that has good security and is in a good neighborhood, then when you do put the car away, don't let others see you put it in there, not even the manager. if you plan to store more than a month and have the access, use some Sta-bil in the fuel and non ethanol gasoline in the tank and make sure it's gone through the lines. fill the tank to prevent condensation on the sides from creating water. Not sure what you can do about the mice or rats except try to get a unit that's tight. Get a car cover to keep it clean.
Hope these help.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
As longf as the storage unit has electricity, use a battery tender. My unit didn't have any outlets, but it did have an overhead light bulb, so that's where I plugged the tender into using a socket outlet adapter you can find at your local home improvement store.

Most storage rental offices sell tubs of desiccant, I put one in the back seat, one in the trunk, one in the front seat.

Dryer sheets around to keep mice at bay.

Some put corse steel wool in the tail pipes to keep the rodents out. If you forget to remove them in the spring, the exhaust should blow them right out.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I store my camaro each winter - here is my process.

-Detail the car
-Fresh oil change right before going into storage
-Top off the gas tank and add stabil
-I clean the storage unit and spray it for bugs
-lay a tarp down on the concrete storage unit floor
-park on carpet squares(do not store your car on jack stands - bad for your suspension)
-I put moth ball at all 4 corners under the outside of the car (they dont like the smell)
-put towels in your exhaust tips
-put bounce dryer sheets in your engine bay and interior (bugs and animals do not like the smell
-add a tub of dampRid on the floor board
-either leave the window cracked or the drivers door slightly opened and pull the battery.
-I put a towel over the trunk latch so it can not latch closed
-put cover on car
-place battery in the Garage at home on a battery tender

Come back in the spring and remove everything and start it up.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
+This is an everyday, all year occurrence for me; However my car is stored in a garage. The above posts are very good tips for storage. I'll usually keep my windows closed, however. It will pay dividends if the car is well detailed, fresh oil and gas, and covered when it is away for the winter. You should definitely use a battery tender to monitor and maintain the charge level in the battery. If power access is an issue, you could either try a solar battery tender, or swap batteries every once in awhile during the winter.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Air up the tires to the maximum inflation pressure listed on the sidewall to minimize flatspot problems.
If you can, after a month or 6 weeks start it up and let it run at least 15 20min. put like a 2x4 about 6inches or a foot in front of where it's parked, moveit forwards and backwards and so you can pull back up to where it hits the 2x4, then the tires resting on a different place than they were. or e.g. drive around the building and they won't be back on the same resting place but I assume snow ice around it so simply move bak a foot or two and up will accomplish the same thing. Circulating fluids and helping seals and charging battery, keeping injectors and motors unstuck etc. On that note it's a good idea to at least briefly turn on AC a time or two during the winter to lube the seals preventing leaks.
I like these green chunks for bait, just watchout that your or others dogs won't eat them, put in a plastic thing or out of reach or like inside the unit without pets around.

TOMCAT Mouse Killer 16-count 1-oz Mouse Bait
Old 10-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Air up the tires to the maximum inflation pressure listed on the sidewall to minimize flatspot problems.
If you can, after a month or 6 weeks start it up and let it run at least 15 20min. put like a 2x4 about 6inches or a foot in front of where it's parked, moveit forwards and backwards and so you can pull back up to where it hits the 2x4, then the tires resting on a different place than they were. or e.g. drive around the building and they won't be back on the same resting place but I assume snow ice around it so simply move bak a foot or two and up will accomplish the same thing. Circulating fluids and helping seals and charging battery, keeping injectors and motors unstuck etc. On that note it's a good idea to at least briefly turn on AC a time or two during the winter to lube the seals preventing leaks.
I like these green chunks for bait, just watchout that your or others dogs won't eat them, put in a plastic thing or out of reach or like inside the unit without pets around.

TOMCAT Mouse Killer 16-count 1-oz Mouse Bait

I see you are in Michigan so I would skip the winter startups as unless you can get everything really hot you wont get the condensation out of the oil and you will have to rev it pretty hard to blow all the condensation out of the exhaust or it will just pool inside. I have seen you on here for sometime so you should be over the excitement of having to to start it, so unless you can drive it, no advantage. Just as suggested change oil and drive to the stoarge unit with the cylinders having a fresh coat of clean oil. I always top the tank off with stabil. I always cover mine 100% of the time so if that's done a good cover will cover the exhaust, if not then as suggested a few moth balls in the pipes and under the hood.

Wouldn't worry about lowering the window, why invite something to come inside, just leave the rear seat down and when your ready open the door with the key and crawl in the backseat and pull the trunk quick release.

I like the concept of a moisture blocker inside, as I lay one down in the passenger floor and replace it at 3 months if needed. Remember if its not stored with heat its gong to condensate as temps rise and fall and in Michigan that can be as much as 50 degrees. While my F150 and Genesis both flat spot as they are almost the same weight, I have never experienced a flat spot of the Z, but mine is stored with a Michelin AS3 that is made for cold weather.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post

Wouldn't worry about lowering the window, why invite something to come inside, just leave the rear seat down and when your ready open the door with the key and crawl in the backseat and pull the trunk quick release.
Are you unfamiliar with how the window always drops down a small amount to allow the door to open, and if you have a dead battery you got a problem opening the door?
I wasn't talking about dropping it way down, only a small amount to allow you to open the door. Seems you left that part of the puzzle out.
I could picture myself trying to climb over the seat which won't move due to a dead battery and is stuck nearly all the way back, and shimmy into the trunk lol. Some of us are not 20 and 125lbs anymore. Not to mention some of the storage units are narrow and won't allow the door to open all the way, making it all the more fun to do that trick. A person could also back into the spot with the hood slightly popped to jumper it, just in case.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Are you unfamiliar with how the window always drops down a small amount to allow the door to open, and if you have a dead battery you got a problem opening the door?
I wasn't talking about dropping it way down, only a small amount to allow you to open the door. Seems you left that part of the puzzle out.
I could picture myself trying to climb over the seat which won't move due to a dead battery and is stuck nearly all the way back, and shimmy into the trunk lol. Some of us are not 20 and 125lbs anymore. Not to mention some of the storage units are narrow and won't allow the door to open all the way, making it all the more fun to do that trick. A person could also back into the spot with the hood slightly popped to jumper it, just in case.

I wasn't targeting you, just sharing facts. Yes I am quite aware of the window dropping down, where you aware your key opens the door without a battery?

You are making a bigger deal about accessing the trunk release than it is, but if it concerns anyone you don't have to latch the trunk, after all if the battery is gone you don't have an alarm anyway. In short a lot of options, pick the ones that make you comfortable.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Wow, awesome advice on here guys and some good ideas as well! And sorry I should have mentioned I have stored my ZL1 in my garage or a buddies and everything has gone fine. I am just hesitant about the storage unit with security and lack of heat. And when it was in my garage last year its nice being able to check on it every day.

But I will read through these comments one more time and give this some thought and explore options! Thank you everyone!
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I’ll just comment on some of the advice above after storing my cars and boats over the years:

Everyone recommends Stabil. I was told to just fill up the tank with quality gas and skip the additives. I’ve had no problem with storage up to a year. I stopped using Stabil years ago even on my stored lawn equipment and I usually get a start on first pull. When I did use Stabil it always seemed to need to burn off before my engines ran right.

Flat spotting on newer cars supposedly doesn’t exist and I’ve never experienced it. On the initial drive it’s out of round but after a few miles it smooths out.

Been told to never store it on jack stands because it will mess up the suspension.

I take the battery out and store it at home on a trickle charger.

If I needed to get in the car I used the trunk access. Leaving the window cracked just seems like a bad idea. Even if cracked a little, it still can let bugs get in. I’ve not had a problem with mice so much as the mess that spiders can leave sometimes.

Was told that once it’s parked, don’t start it again unless I planned on driving it fo awhile. I used to start it once every few weeks but was told it was doing more harm than good.

I never do any work on my cars or boat, even an oil change, before I store it because if something was done wrong I won’t know until months later after I take it back out.

In short, I basically park it, cover it and take the battery out. Seems to work fine for me. Basically K.I.S.S.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 10-10-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
<Snip>
In short, I basically park it, cover it and take the battery out. Seems to work fine for me.
Ditto
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
silversleeper
Big Crow

About window indexing:
What it is

Why it is https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134255

How do I correct it after a dead battery or taken out battery
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...&postcount=483

Don't forget to prevent windshield washer tank freezeup and bust
DIY windshield fluid with de-icer
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561782

Edit: And the radio locking up if you let the battery die or take it out
https://www.gmpartsonline.net/blog/h...-paying-a-dime

I prefer not to go through that by letting the battery die or removing it if possible.

Last edited by silversleeper; 10-11-2019 at 10:48 AM.