Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Procharger or Cam

I can get either a procharger D1sc, or do E85, cam and heads for the same price but I'm not sure which way to go and would like some help/opinions on what is the better way to go and why. The procharger would get me 580whp (until I upgrade fuel) and then Cam/heads/E85 would get me around 550whp.

I love the sound of a cam but would obviously lose a lot on the mpg side compared to the procharger. Is there a benefit to going 1 way vs the other?

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Coming Soon: Custom Cam, E85, Ported Heads
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I'd save to do it at the same time...for either option you would have to get a new tune done and if you do one stage then the other, you have to pay twice unless your tuner is gonna cut you some slack.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
My opinion, I want to be a part of both worlds, so i went full bolt ons NA and now I’m going to go boost, get a feel for how both are but while doing a proper build, so now I’m going to be purchasing everything I need to go boost, going for the driveshaft and half axles, rotary assembly, procharger, and upgraded fuel system!
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
13BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
I'd save to do it at the same time...for either option you would have to get a new tune done and if you do one stage then the other, you have to pay twice unless your tuner is gonna cut you some slack.
Take to long to try and do everything at once and my tuner will give me a deal on retuning after anything I do.

2016 2SS, NPP, Adrenaline Red Leather and Pads, 6sp, Sunroof, Black Bowties, Upgraded Wheels, 15% Tint, Kooks Headers, MBRP Exhaust, 1LE Wheels, Badging, Ported Throttle Body, Procharged, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit

Old 04-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
13BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
My opinion, I want to be a part of both worlds, so i went full bolt ons NA and now I’m going to go boost, get a feel for how both are but while doing a proper build, so now I’m going to be purchasing everything I need to go boost, going for the driveshaft and half axles, rotary assembly, procharger, and upgraded fuel system!
Ya that is the ultimate goal to get everything, i'm just torn on which way to start out. I'very started out with the usual headers/intake/ptb/thermostat and was sold on doing cam and heads until my tuner tells me he can do the D1sc for the same price. Sometimes I really hate options lol (especially when my mind was set).

Old 04-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
That's a good question. Nothing sounds as cool as a cammed Camaro but Forced Induction has such a higher ceiling for power. Procharger is such an easy set up to upgrade to big power down the road yet out of the box it'll still add more power then a cam would.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
13BlackCamaroSS

You can't beat the sound of a cam but you can't beat the potential of a procharger. My thoughts are if I do procharger this year, I can work on the other mods next year a little at a time which would also be cheaper (once I upgrade fuel). Yes i'll love the power but probably hate myself for not getting to hear a cam when I fire up the car. Also my car is not a daily driver.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
dennis@hixsonnet.com

Drives: Me: '16 2SS yellow, Wife: '16 1SS
I got the edelbrock SC and VV2 cam.... sounds and runs awesome. I was hesitant about the cam at first but then after I got it installed and tuned, wow!, what a difference it makes in the car!! Either way you go, you don't be disappointed!

2016 Camaro 2SS ** EdelBrock E-Force Supercharger, 3" pulley, RotoFab air intake, Alky Methanol Injection System, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Kooks longtube headers, TSP VV2 CAM, 1LE wheels @ 285/30/20 front & 305/30/20 rear... 707.41rwhp, 702.36 torque
dennis@hixsonnet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
rjacobs

Drives: none
Just remember, a cam that is good for N/A power, is absolutely the wrong cam for a F/I...

Ive built full up N/A combos short of going to a solid roller cam and they are fun, but there is definitely an N/A ceiling and the car gets harder and harder to drive as you approach it. Also parts selection is MUCH more important for everything to work together.

F/I drives like stock for the most part until you get into it.

There is a big reason I went from an C6Z06 with a full up 600whp N/A setup to my ZL1... The ZL1 is starting where the C6Z06 was just about tapped. The next step with my C6Z06 was a motor build and a blower...
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis@hixsonnet.com View Post
I got the edelbrock SC and VV2 cam.... sounds and runs awesome. I was hesitant about the cam at first but then after I got it installed and tuned, wow!, what a difference it makes in the car!! Either way you go, you don't be disappointed!
Didn't know you cammed your setup! Impressive numbers Dennis! The local tuning shop is trying to talk me into a cam. Perhaps in the future after I see what my tweaks have done.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
Just remember, a cam that is good for N/A power, is absolutely the wrong cam for a F/I...

Ive built full up N/A combos short of going to a solid roller cam and they are fun, but there is definitely an N/A ceiling and the car gets harder and harder to drive as you approach it. Also parts selection is MUCH more important for everything to work together.

F/I drives like stock for the most part until you get into it.

There is a big reason I went from an C6Z06 with a full up 600whp N/A setup to my ZL1... The ZL1 is starting where the C6Z06 was just about tapped. The next step with my C6Z06 was a motor build and a blower...
This. If you do the cam NA route, it won’t be the right cam if you decide to supercharge it later. However if you start with the procharger and then decide later to go further, it makes much more sense. Not to mention since a cam job typically means removing the engine, I would personally do forged internals at that point. And then the pricing doesn’t matchup anymore.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
antny

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
My opinion is you should do the base work first then go with the procharger later. It will increase your power output in the end.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
trueraiderfan17

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A-10
I love my setup I have with my Texas sped stage 3 cam, long tubes, heads from LME, MSD intake, cat delete, ported throttle body. its dynode right at 600 like 590 something. I love the way it sounds. and I have it looking bone stock also besides the nitto 305 555 drag radials lol.
trueraiderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
This. If you do the cam NA route, it won’t be the right cam if you decide to supercharge it later. However if you start with the procharger and then decide later to go further, it makes much more sense. Not to mention since a cam job typically means removing the engine, I would personally do forged internals at that point. And then the pricing doesn’t matchup anymore.
That was something I left out in my reply because I wasn't super-clear on how the cam would affect supercharger performance if it was meant to improve N/A performance. If that is the case and you would have to install a whole other cam when you go F/I, then it is cost prohibitive to go N/A first.

Better to go with the D1SC first then think of the cam/fuel upgrades as a "2nd Stage" upgrade when you get the money.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote