Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
chip4

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Silver #713
Z/28 Jacking Points.

I’ve highlighted the lifting points (pinch welds) on the Z/28, I normally will lift the front left/right with two floorjacks (a little at a time) -until I can secure the front with 2 jackstands near the cats. The location under the engine won’t be accessible until the undercover is removed.
Anyone want to add any input to this?.
Attached Images

chip4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
When I put my car on the lift at home I usually place the 2 front arms where I've drawn the red circles at (I'm sure these locations were likely used at the factory as the bodies were transported down the assembly line). And for the rear I usually place my lift pads where you have the green arrows drawn at the rear subframe bushing locations. Also you could lift the front in the areas where I have drawn the red rectangles. These areas are boxed and part of the structure to support the vehicle anyhow so they are plenty strong to lift at. If lifting where I drew the red circles I'd recommend using something that spreads the force out over a wider area though otherwise you may start to push the flat area there in towards the body.

I try to avoid lifting on pinch weld seam when possible unless I had something that would "swallow" the pinched portion and lift up higher where the pinches start coming together. Other wise I've seen too many pinch welds fold over that I just don't even want to attempt lifting there. Especially with a floor jack that creates more of a side load on the pinch weld as it's raising up. A 2-post lift just lifts straight up and supports the entire vehicle at 4 places. A floor jack is basically supporting almost half the vehicle weight at one lift point if you are jacking it up one side at a time.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
chip4

I did use two Zl1addons.com magnetic jack pads when I lifted the front pinch welds
Your red circle mark appears to be the front location in the Lifting PDF

That does not appear to be the location they used on this 4 point lift -this appears to be at the front pinch weld:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z_28_Lifting_Jacking.pdf (155.4 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by chip4; 06-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
If you jack in the middle of the front cradle, it will bend. Ask me how I know.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
chip4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Are you talking about the front cross member just aft of the radiator?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip4 View Post
Are you talking about the front cross member just aft of the radiator?
That would be correct.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
You are not alone. It is interesting to see where different peole have placed a jack under any car Sometimes there are good reasons and sometimes it is just
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You are not alone. It is interesting to see where different peole have placed a jack under any car Sometimes there are good reasons and sometimes it is just
Pete,
Obviously given your profession you have put many many 5th gens on jack stands with floor jacks as well as on a hoist. What are your preferred lifting/jacking points? Just curious.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
Nick S

I just watched the entire video posted above and it's interesting that the production belly pan for the Z/28 has 4 openings cut into under the oil pan area but this car that they had on the lift had the ZL1 style belly pan with no openings cut into it.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 AM   #10
chip4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I just watched the entire video posted above and it's interesting that the production belly pan for the Z/28 has 4 openings cut into under the oil pan area but this car that they had on the lift had the ZL1 style belly pan with no openings cut into it.
Good eye, just noticed that too, maybe a preproduction model?

This pic was posted by Sklane765 (forum sponsor) in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434686
I would still use jackstands though as I don't trust these chinese made floor jacks with my life.

There is another pic in that thread were a member has lifted it from one side only -I definitely do not like the side-loading at all on the pinch weld / jack pad.

Last edited by chip4; 06-16-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
TTT for further review.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 AM   #12
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
I'm looking for some advice on jack pads / jacking the Z28, for changing tires and oil changes etc. I don't have a 4 point lift.

I'll be using a floor jack. I have two but would like to only have to take one to the track.

Should I get the ZL1 addons 4 point pinch weld kit, I'll only be jacking one at a time or at most two, one on each side. https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...0-15-lift-pads

Or should I get a basic rubber pad to protect the jack point under the car, cheaper option. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Universal...s=abn+jack+pad

Thanks
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #13
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip4 View Post
Good eye, just noticed that too, maybe a preproduction model?

This pic was posted by Sklane765 (forum sponsor) in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434686
I would still use jackstands though as I don't trust these chinese made floor jacks with my life.

There is another pic in that thread were a member has lifted it from one side only -I definitely do not like the side-loading at all on the pinch weld / jack pad.

Chineese jacks are safe AF as long those Zl1 Addons clips are in place, you see the red long tag near the floor jack, it leads to a solid piece of metal that holds the jack in place and prevents it from lowering the car, in case it starts to fail and lose its pressure in the oil, then all the pressure goes on that metal solid clip on each jack. good investment for displaying cars i guess , but yea jacks are best.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #14
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post
I'm looking for some advice on jack pads / jacking the Z28, for changing tires and oil changes etc. I don't have a 4 point lift.

I'll be using a floor jack. I have two but would like to only have to take one to the track.

Should I get the ZL1 addons 4 point pinch weld kit, I'll only be jacking one at a time or at most two, one on each side. https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...0-15-lift-pads

Or should I get a basic rubber pad to protect the jack point under the car, cheaper option. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Universal...s=abn+jack+pad

Thanks

Get car specific pinch weld ZL1 addons jack lift kit with the hockey puck, i love mine, best investment for lifting the car .