Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #1
newz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Innovatrs West balancer

Quick question. Has anyone installed the Iinnovators West balancer and Metco 9.1" pulley? If so is there any thing I need to be aware of. I have a 2010 service manual set. If some one has a install page from the 2013 manual of the
balancer install I would appreciate a pic if possible. May be the same as a ls3 install instruction but I like to make sure on some thing like this. Thanks ahead for any advice.
newz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Do you have supporting mods for that 18% pulley?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
newz

Evening Can'tHave2MuchHP .Yes I have a set of KOOKS headers,off road pipes,ID1050 injectors,C.A.I. intake and new spark plugs and a tune from Ted at JANNETTY ,also a BAP that Ted recommended during our phone conversation. I also bought the idler pulley relocation kit and new belt from Ted. Have a APEX heat exchanger ready to go and SCT tuner and wide band new AEROTECH gauges and a a pillar dual gauge pod. The majority of the parts were bought at the same time per Ted's recommendation.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz View Post
Evening Can'tHave2MuchHP .Yes I have a set of KOOKS headers,off road pipes,ID1050 injectors,C.A.I. intake and new spark plugs and a tune from Ted at JANNETTY ,also a BAP that Ted recommended during our phone conversation. I also bought the idler pulley relocation kit and new belt from Ted. Have a APEX heat exchanger ready to go and SCT tuner and wide band new AEROTECH gauges and a a pillar dual gauge pod. The majority of the parts were bought at the same time per Ted's recommendation.
Sounds great.

I don't think there's anything to be aware of. I think there are a few threads on here on the install of a lower pulley, possibly youtube videos of it the install as well.

Quote:
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE ANYTHING ACCESSORY WISE TO CHANGE THE LOWER PULLEY......Some quick instructions....

NO Hammers or Mallets required. Fender covers suggested for the nose of the car

1. Remove the supercharger belt and the accessory belt.

2. The air-conditioning belt is "stretch to fit" so just leave it alone for now

3. Any Decent 1/2 Drive Impact gun will work fine to remove the stock balancer bolt. I have a Chicago Pneumatic and it fit
perfectly between the 2 fan shrouds behind the radiator.

4. You will need a "claw style" puller to remove the balancer. This is a bit of a juggling act when removing from the top. Use a lighted mirror or your fingers to feel the slots in the factory balancer where the claws will grab. Take a 1" socket and install it backwards into the hole in the factory balancer and up against the crank snub while turning the threaded rod of the puller until the 3 claws are tight and the puller rod is tight against the socket which is against the crank. The socket protects the
crank snub from damage and also most pullers threaded rods are not compatible with the threads of the crankshaft and could damage the threads inside the crankshaft making installation of the new crank bolt difficult to impossible.

5. Use a long socket wrench (breaker bar) and turn clockwise on the puller threaded rod until the factory balancer is loose. Be patient...this will take some time as you will only be able to turn about ONE FLAT at a time which will only move the balancer about .030 of an inch with each swing of your breaker bar.

6. Remove the air-conditioning fan belt as you remove the balancer.

7. IMPORTANT- Do NOT install the new pulley onto the aftermarket balancer...you will
not be able to reinstall the ribbed belts and will have to remove the pulley again from the balancer (assuming you are using a 9.55" pulley or larger)

8. Install the new aftermarket balancer using it's supplied bolt (use the old bolt to get you started if so desired). Use RED Loctite on this bolt. A small amount of oil on your fingers placed in and outside of the balancer shaft will help with timing cover seal and help ease the initial fit of the balancer. Make sure to align the keyway before you try to tighten the bolt. You can use a long breaker bar with short extension and socket and turn clockwise on the bolt to "press" the new balancer on. A small impact gun will also do the job. Once tight torque to 130 Ft/lbs. NOTE: If you put the car in 1st gear and set the emerg brake you will be able to torque the bolt (manual cars). Take out of gear once you have torqued the bolt.

9. Install the airconditioning belt by first placing it on the balancer then while holding it against the compressor pulley, rotate the engine counterclockwise with the breaker bar...you will not be able to loosen the crank hub bolt. NOTE: Make sure the belt is on both pulleys correctly. It is the innermost pulley and not easy to see on the balancer.

10. Install the small idler (if included with your pulley kit)
11. Install the new lower pulley using BLUE loctite on each bolt
12 Install both the accessory and supercharger belts.

NOTE: You can find on these forums the belt lengths required for different pulley combinations. Stock upper and 9.55 lower = 69" belt as I just did that on 2 ZL1's in the last week.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261545

Ted will be very happy to help you along the way too. You made the right choice.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz View Post
Quick question. Has anyone installed the Iinnovators West balancer and Metco 9.1" pulley? If so is there any thing I need to be aware of. I have a 2010 service manual set. If some one has a install page from the 2013 manual of the
balancer install I would appreciate a pic if possible. May be the same as a ls3 install instruction but I like to make sure on some thing like this. Thanks ahead for any advice.
Here is one of the best from a good engineer that was in my club and one that I used and added too, but it was quite a few years back..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...Damper+removal
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
newz

Thanks for the link ZMEnow. That is a good read.