Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #29
jaggedx

Drives: Lots of stuff plus a 2012 Black ZL1
Well I have been out of town for over a week so I was excited to drive my car
As soon as I got back and the air is definately jacked! I came back here to see if we had any new info only to find the thread dead. I am calling me dealer tomorrow to see if they can get any info. I do not want to just drop the car off and say there is something wrong with the air. I know how that will turn out
jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedx View Post
Well I have been out of town for over a week so I was excited to drive my car
As soon as I got back and the air is definately jacked! I came back here to see if we had any new info only to find the thread dead. I am calling me dealer tomorrow to see if they can get any info. I do not want to just drop the car off and say there is something wrong with the air. I know how that will turn out
Talked to the service guy i've been dealing with at my local dealership and he still hasn't heard any word from GM. There are 2 other ZL1's at the dealership that they have checked and they both have the same issue with the AC. GM better fix this quick because I'm hearing more and more people complaining about it.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
The common misconception is the AC blows cold air (that's what you feel), what really happens is it removes the heat from the air inside the car and releases it with air flow from the front condenser. With that in mind, no air flow through the condenser no heat can be released and combine that with 100 degree heat, you get warm air. Not always will your fan be running when you first crank up also so still no air flow, that's why it starts cooling once the car is moving. It gets air flow, hope this info helps you understand a little bit about how the AC works.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Yesterday it was 121 degrees, needless to say I'm not driving the ZL1 the rest of the week. There is deffinetly something wrong with the car, my 2000 gmc truck will 200k+ miles blows colder air the Z. The car does the same thing people are describing here. I'm taking mine to the dealer this weekend. I am a patient guy, but driving a 65K you expect thinks to work right. Not mad, just upset I mean 121 and no AC, what would you do....
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #33
jaggedx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
The common misconception is the AC blows cold air (that's what you feel), what really happens is it removes the heat from the air inside the car and releases it with air flow from the front condenser. With that in mind, no air flow through the condenser no heat can be released and combine that with 100 degree heat, you get warm air. Not always will your fan be running when you first crank up also so still no air flow, that's why it starts cooling once the car is moving. It gets air flow, hope this info helps you understand a little bit about how the AC works.
I don't want to sound like a butt here but I have lived in AZ all my life and have owned dozens of cars and trucks over the last 40 years.I "understand" how A/C works and I also "understand" when there is a problem, and there is definately a problem here. I am going to speak to my dealer today to begin the frustration process!
I will post up results.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Talked to the service guy i've been dealing with at my local dealership and he still hasn't heard any word from GM. There are 2 other ZL1's at the dealership that they have checked and they both have the same issue with the AC. GM better fix this quick because I'm hearing more and more people complaining about it.
I apologize for the inconvenience that you may be experiencing with the a/c. Please let me know how service goes once your issue is addressed.

I look forward to your update!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #35
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
There is definitely something wrong with the AC, i have lived in Az my entire adult life and this is the first time i have felt anything like this in a vehicle. It actually blows hotter air then the air coming through the windows. Please someone help. This is a desert.
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
wyoming zl1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Took mine to the dealership last week for the same issue and apparently GM is working on a fix now. It's only for a select batch of ZL1's from what I was told and it is a software issue with the AC. GM is supposedly working on an update that can be downloaded from the dealership. It has to do with the car not recycling the air from inside the cabin but rather constantly pulling in hot air from outside. Mine has done it twice since I had the car.

That is correct there seems to be two software issues with the new ZL1's. The Steering being one and the A/C being the other. Luckely I have not experienced any of these issues, yet. I know it sucks, but it is all part of being in the elite group of people who got the first model year car. We knew there would be little things like this that creep up. Give GM a little time i am sure they will make it right. The best thing to to is make sure your dealer is informed of the software issues when you take it in, saves everyone time.
wyoming zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #37
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsplumber View Post
There is definitely something wrong with the AC, i have lived in Az my entire adult life and this is the first time i have felt anything like this in a vehicle. It actually blows hotter air then the air coming through the windows. Please someone help. This is a desert.
Have you taken it to the dealership yet for a proper diagnosis? They should be able to pinpoint the issue for you. Please let us know if this is an option for you!

Brandon
Old 07-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #38
jaggedx

I called the service Writter at my dealer and in boilerplate fasion he said "bring it in and we will check it out"

I asked him if he could check on any sort of bulitains. He did call me back and said that there were none.

It is inconvienient for me to get to the dealer but i am going to get it in there ASAP

I will post results.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #39
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
I called the service Writter at my dealer and in boilerplate fasion he said "bring it in and we will check it out"

I asked him if he could check on any sort of bulitains. He did call me back and said that there were none.

It is inconvienient for me to get to the dealer but i am going to get it in there ASAP

I will post results.

Definitely keep us updated with your service appointment. If you have any concerns please let us know!

Brandon
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
jaggedx

Frustration process has begun!

Took it in today after talking to the service writer last week, He gave me the option to wait for his "Lead Guy" to check it out and since it is about a 30 mile drive I opted to wait.

about 90 minutes of playing around on my Smart phone and the service writer found me and said "your all set".
Cool, Right? .... Wrong!

He informs me..... and I quote, " NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME" as written on my service invoice. He then goes on to tell me "we have had lots of problems lately with A/C cause it's really hot you know?"

So on the drive home I turned off the radio and payed very close attention to the A/C and noticed that in addition to the intermitent problem that several owners including me have been discussing here I also noticed that the blower speed and output air temperature fluctuates randomly while driving.

Today it was about 104 here and a little humid. The air barely keeps up on the highest setting.

On a day like today I run my duramax air at between 1/2-3/4 speed and my face gets kind of cold.

Bottom line, Problem exists and dealer did not have a clue how to fix or even diagnose.

Not sure what to do next.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #41
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Frustration process has begun!

Took it in today after talking to the service writer last week, He gave me the option to wait for his "Lead Guy" to check it out and since it is about a 30 mile drive I opted to wait.

about 90 minutes of playing around on my Smart phone and the service writer found me and said "your all set".
Cool, Right? .... Wrong!

He informs me..... and I quote, " NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME" as written on my service invoice. He then goes on to tell me "we have had lots of problems lately with A/C cause it's really hot you know?"

So on the drive home I turned off the radio and payed very close attention to the A/C and noticed that in addition to the intermitent problem that several owners including me have been discussing here I also noticed that the blower speed and output air temperature fluctuates randomly while driving.

Today it was about 104 here and a little humid. The air barely keeps up on the highest setting.

On a day like today I run my duramax air at between 1/2-3/4 speed and my face gets kind of cold.

Bottom line, Problem exists and dealer did not have a clue how to fix or even diagnose.

Not sure what to do next.
Ask Brandon.....
All joking aside, mine does the same thing.. Haven't taken it to the dealer I was waiting for other owner's results.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
jaggedx

Well there ya go! Maybe a dealer there can sort it out?