Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
What exactly is wrong, factually and analytically - NOT racially - with a single word I said in my explanation of this?
Old 12-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #16
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
They are gonna cancel your V8 next.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Well, apparently you can now. Did you hear? We're changing our name so no one's feewings will be hurt! Yay!

I don't care what you call the teams. That means nothing to me. Baseball is a boring sport to watch and Cleveland really doesn't have anything going for it either. That is why I am happy to oblige your mandate from page 1.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
Old 12-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #18
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I don't care what you call the teams. That means nothing to me. Baseball is a boring sport to watch and Cleveland really doesn't have anything going for it either. That is why I am happy to oblige your mandate from page 1.
Whatever your opinions are of my city aren’t the point here, nor is this about baseball.

The point is there is a contingence of highly offended people in our country that is becoming powerful enough to take things that we value away simply because they don’t like it.

Think of anything you hold of sentimental value as an American. Doesn’t matter what it is.

Now imagine someone crying about it then taking it away.

Baseball. Football. Your house.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #19
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
As a Washington Redskin fan since the 70’s it’s scary to see what the PC culture is doing to our country. Many polls of Native Americans have shown they viewed the team name with a sense of pride. However as someone earlier stated, whiny white men were offended enough for them to put pressure on sponsors of the team. Scary to think what will have to go in the coming year to satisfy the PC elite.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
Old 12-15-2020, 01:53 AM   #20
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Let's not forget the statues being pulled down of past presidents and war heroes and classic books being deleted from schools for being offensive..

I watch reruns on YouTube of the "Dean Marin Roast", "All in the Family", and "The Jeffersons" from the 70's. All races/religions/etc. used to make fun of each others stereotypes and we'd all laugh at each other and ourselves.

Now everyone has been brainwashed and are wound up so tight you can't even say a nice comment without offending someone.

It's sad....
Old 12-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #21
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
https://deadspin.com/indians-fans-ta...nat-1825073128
Hope this isn't the op.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
Old 12-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #22
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
As a Washington Redskin fan since the 70’s it’s scary to see what the PC culture is doing to our country. Many polls of Native Americans have shown they viewed the team name with a sense of pride. However as someone earlier stated, whiny white men were offended enough for them to put pressure on sponsors of the team. Scary to think what will have to go in the coming year to satisfy the PC elite.
And therein lies the problem - too many people who have no business and no say in these things are sticking their noses in it trying to make themselves sound so righteous and holier than thou.

Like Dee Snyder told Tipper Gore at the hearings for explicit music: if you don't like our music, you don't have to listen to it.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
Funny you should bring that up......

No, it isn't me, but I remember when that happened.

What the news fails to show, and what they have kept in the back corner, is that the man who's been at the forefront of protesting the Indians name and Chief Wahoo - Robert Roche (in the blue jacket in the picture in this article) - was convicted of embezzlement.

I have absolutely no problem with what anyone did to him, calling him every name in the book. He frankly deserved it, and should be beyond embarrassed for using his heritage as a crutch to garner the spotlight when he was a criminal. Disgusting.

As with everything these days, the MSM wants you to see and believe only what THEY want you to see and believe.

https://www.cleveland.com/court-just..._proteste.html
Old 12-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #24
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
I prefer Sig Sauer and HK. You're going to have change your home NFL team's name!

Old 12-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #25
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Let's not forget the statues being pulled down of past presidents and war heroes and classic books being deleted from schools for being offensive..

I watch reruns on YouTube of the "Dean Marin Roast", "All in the Family", and "The Jeffersons" from the 70's. All races/religions/etc. used to make fun of each others stereotypes and we'd all laugh at each other and ourselves.

Now everyone has been brainwashed and are wound up so tight you can't even say a nice comment without offending someone.

It's sad....
I wasn't even born when those roasts were broadcast but I've watched them many times. Every time I've seen them I about die from laughing so hard.

America has lost it's sense of humor too. Half the crap I say on this forum I get the "WTF" kind of responses from people because they don't have a sense of humor.

There's a great line in the Cannonball Run movie, where Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr are pretending to be priests to get out of getting a ticket as they try to win the Cannonball Run, and Dino calls Sammy the Chocolate Monk...... I mean, today they'd have hung Martin out in effigy for that. Back then even Sammy himself was cool with it.

It's like, chill out people. Life's too short to live it with a stick up your back side all the time.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #26
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I wonder about the life span of the "Reds" (be they Indians or Russian communists), and the Braves.

There is a legal opinion on this. I knew of it because son Little Ricky was invited to a legal fund raiser sponsored by the music group's legal team. Considering the following decision by the US Supreme Court it would seem that the various owners of the teams mentioned have a right to the use of their trademark names but they instead choose to defer to the courts of public opinion.

Members of the Asian-American rock band The Slants have the right to call themselves by a disparaging name, the Supreme Court says, in a ruling that could have broad impact on how the First Amendment is applied in other trademark cases.
The Slants' frontman, Simon Tam, filed a lawsuit after the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office kept the band from registering its name and rejected its appeal, citing the Lanham Act, which prohibits any trademark that could "disparage ... or bring ... into contemp[t] or disrepute" any "persons, living or dead," as the court states.
After a federal court agreed with Tam and his band, the Patent and Trademark Office sued to avoid being compelled to register its name as a trademark. On Monday, the Supreme Court sided with The Slants.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #27
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
I wonder about the life span of the "Reds" (be they Indians or Russian communists), and the Braves.

There is a legal opinion on this. I knew of it because son Little Ricky was invited to a legal fund raiser sponsored by the music group's legal team. Considering the following decision by the US Supreme Court it would seem that the various owners of the teams mentioned have a right to the use of their trademark names but they instead choose to defer to the courts of public opinion.

Members of the Asian-American rock band The Slants have the right to call themselves by a disparaging name, the Supreme Court says, in a ruling that could have broad impact on how the First Amendment is applied in other trademark cases.
The Slants' frontman, Simon Tam, filed a lawsuit after the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office kept the band from registering its name and rejected its appeal, citing the Lanham Act, which prohibits any trademark that could "disparage ... or bring ... into contemp[t] or disrepute" any "persons, living or dead," as the court states.
After a federal court agreed with Tam and his band, the Patent and Trademark Office sued to avoid being compelled to register its name as a trademark. On Monday, the Supreme Court sided with The Slants.
The Reds are actually short for Cincinnati Red Stockings - being the first major league professional baseball team they had red socks 20+ years before the team in Boston was founded.

I just saw the other day that a contingent of politicians from Georgia came out in support of keeping the Braves name and logo, declaring they are an American institution.

What the hell? We get the shaft in Cleveland and they all come out in full support in Atlanta!
Old 12-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #28
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The Reds are actually short for Cincinnati Red Stockings - being the first major league professional baseball team they had red socks 20+ years before the team in Boston was founded.

I just saw the other day that a contingent of politicians from Georgia came out in support of keeping the Braves name and logo, declaring they are an American institution.

What the hell? We get the shaft in Cleveland and they all come out in full support in Atlanta!

The law was on the Indian's side as it is for the Braves but you must consider that in Georgia there remains the inbred Southern Rebel. Who, by the way, did lose their symbolic Rebel flag recently.
Closed Thread