Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
DeepSea

Drives: 2002 GMC DirtyMax
Question Oil pump upgrade

With a 2015 1LE and doing a BTR Stage 3 cam upgrade do I need to do an oil pump upgrade?
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I've been told either a Melling high volume or a L99 pump for a LS3. I found a deal on a Melling HV.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Be cautious with getting a High Volume pump or even a high pressure pump. If the pump is a high volume pump it will empty your oil sump that much faster for no reason really. Thus if you do road courses and have any longer sweeping turns and you are going to run stickier tires I wouldn't get a high volume pump. The pump will pump your sump dry before it can return to the sump. Melling even has videos on You tube discussing when a high volume pump or a high pressure pump is really needed. Otherwise stay with a stock volume/pressure pump.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
With a 2015 1LE and doing a BTR Stage 3 cam upgrade do I need to do an oil pump upgrade?
If you are at pretty low mileage and have no issues, then you do not have to replace. I did not replace mine when going with a new cam at ~5000 miles.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
For a non AFM, non piston oil squirter engine, modded for more power and valve spring pressure - I would use a high pressure pump.

When the engine has some feature that needs higher oil olume - ie piston oil squirters, the high volume is a must.

When the upgrades are to - power, valve spring seat/open pressure.... those upgrades in my opinion call for a little additional oil pressure. Cam and lifters with stiffer valve springs like a little extra oil pressure. Very light pressure stock type valve springs can get by just fine with stock oil pressure. The additional pressure is also better for the bearing that are seeing a higher load with a modded engine being hammered on.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
DeepSea

Drives: 2002 GMC DirtyMax
Thanks for the info. Clears up a lot of questions.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Check the quality of the GM pump vs Melling and then decide. High volume will increase idle pressure and high pressure increases pressure at top of end. You will not run the pan dry @ 8 quarts. I would not recommend melling L99 version if removing DOD/VVT. I tried the GM pump, high volume GM pump, and Melling 296 pump. What worked best for me was the high volume standard pressure Melling pump (296) keeping pressure where I wanted it to be. Following installation instructions is critical for long life and going that deep into the engine for me was worth the expense.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote