Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Noble

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Unhappy 2013 Camaro Rear LED License Plate Lights Not Working?

I checked the forums to try and find someone who has had a similar problem that I am having to no avail. So I will go ahead and make this post.

I basically just got a new vanity plate for my car and wanted to show it off by replacing the bland stock yellow bulbs with LED lights. They fit my car perfectly but when I try to turn them on it's a no-go. I was worried that I broke a fuse or something so I put the original bulbs back in the car to see if those still worked and those didn't either. I drove back to the place where I bought my LEDs to see if they could help me and he was stumped too. We put in one LED and one stock bulb and they turned on again! But then we took out the one stock bulb and tried to put the other LED in and then both of them turned off again. After figuring there was no hope, I put my old bulbs in and was ready to head back home, when all of a sudden, the stock bulbs turned back on! It took about 3 minutes for the power to come back to them for some reason.

All I want to find out is how in the world do I get both of my LEDs to work at the same time? What's the problem here?

UPDATE: After doing some indipendant testing on both bulbs I found out that one is faulty. I will exchange them in the morning for a new pair and see if it's fixed. But I still find it weird that the stock bulbs don't work until 3 or so minutes after the LEDs have been out.

Final Update: I returned my bulbs for new ones and it worked like a charm! I suppose if you have a similar problem to me, just check to make sure both lights work first.

Last edited by Noble; 07-21-2015 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Update
Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Some LED's have a single polarity, Turn the bulb around 180 Degrees and try them again. they only work plugged in one way.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
Some LED's have a single polarity, Turn the bulb around 180 Degrees and try them again. they only work plugged in one way.
Probably this if they are bulbs. I had the LED "bulbs" from Phasetek. They burn out and start to flicker like cop car lights after a few months.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Magz_rule

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
Probably this if they are bulbs. I had the LED "bulbs" from Phasetek. They burn out and start to flicker like cop car lights after a few months.
Same with mine with phasetek. They are trash. Both of mine flickered and died within no time. Replaced them with some quality ones and have had no issues
Magz_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Nish_z

Drives: 2012 - SS/RS M6
What are "quality ones"? I have the same problem... Crappy reason for a cop to pull me over.
Nish_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I have these and have had no problem
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Magz_rule

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The ones I have from Vleds have been great.

http://www.vleds.com/
Magz_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I buy lots of 10-20 at www.dhgate.com Cheap enough to replace often but they seem to last pretty long so I don't have to replace frequently. I've replaced all my vehicle interior, trunk, underhood, pop-up camper bulbs (Inside and out) and licence plate bulbs. Some styles perform better than others.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, led, license, light, plate