Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Looking to get more power to my Stock Auto SS

OK guys go easy...New to Engine upgrades, but would like more power to my 2010 SS Automatic. I have heard about the L1 conversion and also the SLP. How do you determine the best way to go. I was told this am by doing SLP would look into gain of about 550 from stock with just supercharger. I could then progress from there with exhaust and cam and dyno to gain more correct.

Any advice would great.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Couple of questions first.

1) How much power are you looking to put to the wheels?

2) Do you care about your warranty?

3) What's your budget?

4) Will you be tracking the car, or is this just for "spirited" street driving?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
CamaroI

To be honest havent really thought about how much power I wanted at the rear wheels. I have never done any type of engine mods on cars before so would not even know what a 600HP would feel like. I do not plan on tracking the car and my warranty just ran out with only 16000 miles on it in 3 years. Its not my dialy driver and enjoy going to car shows and meet ups. To be honest started thinking about engine mods once the warranty has finally ran out. I would also like to hold my own on the "street" if and when time comes. Not that I go hot rodding around loooking to race. Budget is not an issue, but would like to be reasonable and not be 15,000 into an engine. I spoke with Gm person stating the SLP Supercharge would yield 550 HP and cost around $6000. That doesnt seem to bad, but unsure best way to go.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
To be honest havent really thought about how much power I wanted at the rear wheels. I have never done any type of engine mods on cars before so would not even know what a 600HP would feel like. I do not plan on tracking the car and my warranty just ran out with only 16000 miles on it in 3 years. Its not my dialy driver and enjoy going to car shows and meet ups. To be honest started thinking about engine mods once the warranty has finally ran out. I would also like to hold my own on the "street" if and when time comes. Not that I go hot rodding around loooking to race. Budget is not an issue, but would like to be reasonable and not be 15,000 into an engine. I spoke with Gm person stating the SLP Supercharge would yield 550 HP and cost around $6000. That doesnt seem to bad, but unsure best way to go.
I would talk to a shop in your area and have them help you come up with what kind of package you want to go with. I know there are a TON of shops in your area, don't know any first hand as I'm in VA - but I'm sure someone else will chime in eventually.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
camaro actual

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
3hrs to lethal racing in LA. If i were that closed id make the trip just to check it out.
camaro actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
The drive train warranty is 5 years 100k miles fyi.

My advice would be to start with the simple bolt ons keeping in mind you may want to get it blown later. Cold air intake, 2 inch primary headers, hi Flo cats or off road pipes, blowers friendly cam. You may find that is enough and not want it super charged. You may still want to still and have appropriate mods for it already.

If I were you I would do a cai, headers, get a nice VVT cam and ditch the afm lifters all wrapped up with a nice tune by a good tuner.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
CamaroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
The drive train warranty is 5 years 100k miles fyi.

My advice would be to start with the simple bolt ons keeping in mind you may want to get it blown later. Cold air intake, 2 inch primary headers, hi Flo cats or off road pipes, blowers friendly cam. You may find that is enough and not want it super charged. You may still want to still and have appropriate mods for it already.

If I were you I would do a cai, headers, get a nice VVT cam and ditch the afm lifters all wrapped up with a nice tune by a good tuner.
Curious as to what gains I would be looking at by just doing those above?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
The Stig

Quote:
Curious as to what gains I would be looking at by just doing those above?
CAI, headers, exhaust, & tune will land you around 415 - 420. Then with a cam (depending on how aggressive it is) you can get pretty high up there.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
CAI, headers, exhaust, & tune will land you around 415 - 420.
Not in a L99. 370ish is about all he could hope to make with just those above.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
you can go as fast as your wallet allows.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (672/639 at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Not in a L99. 370ish is about all he could hope to make with just those above.
Yup! I laid down 380? On a mustang dyno on my L99 with kooks 1 7/8 headers flowmaster cb and Vararam intake and a tune of course.

If I were him I'd get the heads off replace them with the replacement lifters (all are Ls7's) to get rid of those damn AFM lifters because I just don't trust them that's , especially under boost. Then Get a set of ARP head (bolts) not studs. Get a set of stock length chromoly pushrods. A whipple or a Kenny bell supercharger, a set of kooks (or whatever brand you choose) 1 7/8 headers I don't recommend cats with a blower because they have been known to blow out and cause BS issues. You can keep your stock exhaust and if its not loud enough for you or want a different sound then just getting a catback of your choice.

Lifters = 115
Pushrods = 100
Arp head bolts = 130
Blower = up to you on the brand and your research, I like kenne bell and whipple in that order
Headers = up to you and what your budget allows.
Tune and install is all on a quote from a reputable Lsx installer and dealer.

The cam can wait and see if he still wants MOOOOORE POWA.

Just my .2
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
OK guys go easy...New to Engine upgrades, but would like more power to my 2010 SS Automatic. I have heard about the L1 conversion and also the SLP. How do you determine the best way to go. I was told this am by doing SLP would look into gain of about 550 from stock with just supercharger. I could then progress from there with exhaust and cam and dyno to gain more correct.

Any advice would great.
You're getting all your info from one source that source is out to make money off you. Don't get me wrong, all vendors are out to make money but some of them are more responsible/truthful than others. My advice for you is to spend a LOT of time researching and reading on here to see what others are doing and what results they are getting.

NOBODY has a out of the box top mount SC install that nets a L99 200whp over stock. That doesn't mean you can't make 550whp with a SC but you'll need to pulley it down, possibly get even bigger injectors, and a fuel pump upgrade.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
CamaroI

Thanks for the advice going to make a trip out to ADN to talk with Andy and see what we can put together
Old 12-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

ADM should take good care of you. Texas speed is also a good source that is about the same distance as ADM. They're in Lubbock.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)