Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Calipers?

I was looking to paint my calipers. Obviously i would need a heat resistant paint, any suggestions on that..

overall, how hard is the job?

thanks for any help and input.

2011 Camaro LS: [Rally Yellow] [22" Status Rims] [BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats] [Trifecta Tune] [K&N CAI] [Blacked out Bow Ties and Tail Lights] [15% Tint] [MAC Mufflers] [Rear Cat Delete] [Vmax Black Ice]
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
U can use G2 caliper paint. You brush it on and its an epoxy so its a lot ticker that spray can paint!! Its also made for calipers so its hi heat. I highly recommend it. It is not hard to do but its time consuming as u have to wait till the paint dries just like any other paint!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Interested in this too...do the calipers have to be removed? Or is it just a tape job?
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
family man

Drives: .
I just did mine this weekend. No need to remove them, just tape it all up.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
Just remove the tires and wheels? My wheels have large gaps between the spokes.. it appears I could probably paint right through the wheels almost..
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Thanks fam man!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
G2 is awesome. clean, tape, paint. That easy.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
family man

I would recommend removing the wheels/tires. It will make it a lot easier to get to everything. All you have to tape off is the bleeder fittings and brake lines. Just be careful brushing around everything else and you'll be fine.

I used the Duplicolor kit, although it didn't work very well. I followed the directions but it didn't cover very well and lifted easily when I tried to apply the second coat. I ended up applying 2 more coats of Rustoleum high heat red paint. I have used Rustoleum in the past on brake calipers and it holds up really well. It turned out really nice and now I just have to apply the Brembo decals I got from ebay.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
I would recommend removing the wheels/tires. It will make it a lot easier to get to everything. All you have to tape off is the bleeder fittings and brake lines. Just be careful brushing around everything else and you'll be fine.

I used the Duplicolor kit, although it didn't work very well. I followed the directions but it didn't cover very well and lifted easily when I tried to apply the second coat. I ended up applying 2 more coats of Rustoleum high heat red paint. I have used Rustoleum in the past on brake calipers and it holds up really well. It turned out really nice and now I just have to apply the Brembo decals I got from ebay.
Damnit. I just ordered the Duplicolor kit in blue. Another member got it in red and said it worked very well. I guess I'll find out this weekend...
Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
family man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Damnit. I just ordered the Duplicolor kit in blue. Another member got it in red and said it worked very well. I guess I'll find out this weekend...
I don't know what was up with mine. I cleaned everything with the brake cleaner and sanded everything down with sandpaper. I applied the first coat and it wasn't covering very well. I thought okay, this is going to take several coats. I waited 1/2 hour between coats, per the directions wait 20 minutes, but no longer than 1 hour. As soon as I started applying the paint it started lifting and looking like crap. the Rustoleum covered no problem. Here's a couple pics:

Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
I don't know what was up with mine. I cleaned everything with the brake cleaner and sanded everything down with sandpaper. I applied the first coat and it wasn't covering very well. I thought okay, this is going to take several coats. I waited 1/2 hour between coats, per the directions wait 20 minutes, but no longer than 1 hour. As soon as I started applying the paint it started lifting and looking like crap. the Rustoleum covered no problem. Here's a couple pics:

Nice! I think it looks great! I am going to go with blue on my all black car to be a little different. I already ordered the kit on amazon, so I am just going to have to give it a shot and hope it works. I am looking for some small decals "camaro" to put on the calipers in white writing and then cover that again with clear caliper paint.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
G2 is awesome!!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
does G2 have "Torch Red", I was told that that is the closet I'll get to my brembo red.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
I used the duplicolor caliper spray. just took the wheels off and sprayed. Easy!
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote