Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
Randy V.B.

Drives: 2015 2ss 1le
Question about timing

Hello everyone, figured I would ask on here before bothering the tuner over a question about octane and timing. I am planning a road trip in the Camaro next week and currently I am tuned for 95 octane using race gas ultra fuel additive. Needless to say this is extremely expensive for the highway portion of the road trip along with gas being seven dollars a gallon here in Nova Scotia. My question is if I run the 91 octane from the pumps will the computer back enough timing out to be safe for highway driving? I have the SCT tuner hooked up to watch for spark retard and stuff but I’m not 100% sure what to watch for if it starts backing timing out. I asked the tuner a while ago what to watch for and was just told there’s nothing there for me to watch. Anyway any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated. The mods are in my signature that are done to the car.

Thanks
Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 camaro 2ss rs 1le. jannetty blower cam,jannetty fuel controler, jannetty tune, 1050 id injectors, Kooks long tube's with zl1 corsa extreme exhaust. lsa conversion 14 lbs boost. roto fab intake. afco intercooler, Mcleod rst. hotchkis lowering springs.z28 rims, copo hood

Randy V.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
You would have to have some way of watching for knock, either by a scan tool or HP Tuners just as an example. The car will pull timing when it hears knock occuring from the knock sensors, but this isn't ideal.

It's better to have your tuner take out several degrees out across the board so you can just drive it safe, then have him put it back when you get home. Power will be less of course, but it won't knock.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
Randy V.B.

Ok thanks for that, that was my thoughts too. I think ill get ahold of him and get a tune for 91 to be safe.

I see on my sct tuner it shows spark retard and plus and minus under it. I see there is a plus 1.23 or so after a start up sometimes and wasnt sure if that ment it was pulling timing or adding thats all. The highest number ive ever see on it was a 3.

Thanks very much for your input
2015 camaro 2ss rs 1le. jannetty blower cam,jannetty fuel controler, jannetty tune, 1050 id injectors, Kooks long tube's with zl1 corsa extreme exhaust. lsa conversion 14 lbs boost. roto fab intake. afco intercooler, Mcleod rst. hotchkis lowering springs.z28 rims, copo hood

Old 05-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
Randy V.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy V.B. View Post
Ok thanks for that, that was my thoughts too. I think ill get ahold of him and get a tune for 91 to be safe.

I see on my sct tuner it shows spark retard and plus and minus under it. I see there is a plus 1.23 or so after a start up sometimes and wasnt sure if that ment it was pulling timing or adding thats all. The highest number ive ever see on it was a 3.

Thanks very much for your input

Sorry I mispoke on the last quote it says max and min on it not Plus and minus lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
If you are just driving normally and not like a maniac, then it would take an extremely bad tune for there to be any problem. You could probably drive around the world safely.

If you intend driving with your foot to the floor, hard use etc etc....then it may be an issue.

Ultimately it depends what your tuner has done...and how you will be driving it
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #6
Randy V.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
If you are just driving normally and not like a maniac, then it would take an extremely bad tune for there to be any problem. You could probably drive around the world safely.

If you intend driving with your foot to the floor, hard use etc etc....then it may be an issue.

Ultimately it depends what your tuner has done...and how you will be driving it
Thanks for the reply, not sure how i missed it. It will be easy highway driving mostly. I honestly think it would be ok but I think ill check with Ted just to be safe. I know he usually tunes to be super safe.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #7
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
If it’s absolutely necessary you can run it on 91. Just watch the knock retard and if you start to see any knock then you need to put some real octane booster in it. I personally wouldn’t take a risk with a motor that I have that much money in.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote