Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Shell or Exxon 93 only for my car.
+1

I don't do BP though not yet at least still upset over the gulf shore incident

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBowTi3 View Post

Ok, I too haven't used BP gas once since then. People will give grief saying it isn't the local gas station owner's fault, well, they can choose to carry another brand and they don't
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I used to run BP Ultimate exclusively. However, since my tune, the engine has better cold/low speed operation running Phillips 66 93 octane fuel, Even though I'm tuned for 91 octane. Runs great on the Phillips.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I thought there was something in the manual about recommended fuels/additives, where Mobil was one of them. Might just be marketing. Started with Sunoco, only because they're close. Went back to Mobil now that they've dropped the extra fees for using a card at the pump... that really annoyed me, greedy bastards! Nothing but 93 since I got the car.
Greedy bastards? Do you have any idea how much merchants have to pay for accepting cards? Some Shell station charge .50 for using a card while Arco charges .35 cents. If it bugs you pay with cash that simple.
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
Greedy bastards? Do you have any idea how much merchants have to pay for accepting cards? Some Shell station charge .50 for using a card while Arco charges .35 cents. If it bugs you pay with cash that simple.
Yep, it's time for people that won't carry cash to start paying more. Times are tough and those that choose to use a middleman (bank) to manage their daily spending should be the ones to pay that middleman.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Exxon or AAFES 93 Octane
Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBowTi3 View Post
+1

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
+1
Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
Chevron or shell 91! Only!
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I work in the petroleum industry and have done so for almost 13 years. From my experience mostly in AZ the best places to get your fuel are large corporate chains.

Everyone gets their fuel from the same tank farm, some may add some additives but it's very minor. The biggest thing to ensure the quality of your gas is the handling of the fuel and the upkeep of the station. Most mom and pop stations are in poor repair and they do as little as possible to keep things up to snuff.

Larger chains in AZ such as Valero, QT and Kroger keep all their fuel monitoring equipment operational at all times. Keep the pumps in great repair and do all the necessary maintenance to the fuel dispensers. Like changing the filters and calibrating the pumps a couple times a year.

I've been to privately owned stations who have filters that are dated 10 years old on their pumps. Depending on the volume of your site you should be changing your filters every 90-180 days tops. FYI for any guys living in AZ all Shell and Chevron stations are privately owned thus not maintained like and of the bigger corporate sites.

Just take a look around at the station when you're there. Look at the pumps and see if their in decent shape, also look inside the store and see how well it's kept up. Those will give you and idea of how well things are maintained at the site.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Chevron or sometimes Shell. Only 91 around here.
Same here.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #25
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
it's all pretty much the same as it shares the same pipeline network. the only difference in any gas is the very, very, very tiny amounts of additives put in, most of which is a scam. my favorite is Shell boasting of the nitrogen they add. about 70% of the air mixing with the gas in your combustion chamber is already nitrogen.

a good read
www.smartmoney.com/spend/rip-offs/what-gas-stations-wont-tell-you-19750/

"Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; a 2005 study indicated that Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples to ensure the state s gas supply was up to snuff, and 99 percent of the time it was. There s little difference between brand-name gas and any other, says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom. What s more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck."
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Shell 93 for me
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Usually whatever is the lowest priced ethanol free gas within a reasonable distance...87 for my Olds, and usually 91 for my 5.0 (though frankly, I've run regular once or twice on it, and noticed absolutely no seat of the pants difference).

There is virtually no difference between gas from station to station in any given region anymore, unless you run into a situation where the ethanol and the water it attracts separated from gas, and you are unlucky enough to be that handful of guys who got almost no actual gas when you filled up.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
shell or chevron hands down.
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote