Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #57
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySinning View Post
Did you happen to keep the BMR springs from the v6? If they dont fit on the SS ill make you an offer
Going on the SS after I get my cut outs ;]
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #58
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I had my V6 for 3 years and 50,000 miles (49,345) and yesterday I traded up to a 2SS/RS. I figured I'd post my honest review as it might be helpful to someone.

As far as the exterior goes, the cars looked comically identical when I arrived at the dealer. My signature is actually my V6 so you can see what I'm talking about. I was unwilling to give up my beautiful Euro meshs so I offered the dealer a deal, they could swap the SS's stock rims to my 6, and put my rims on the SS.

The real visual differences happened getting into the car. My 6 was a 1LT with just the RS package and a spare tire. So going to what appears to be a nearly fully loaded 2SS is a giant leap. My 1LT interior now seems quite incomplete in comparison. Leather seats, heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, bluetooth with steering wheel controls, door lighting, Boston sound, what a massive difference. I never needed any of these things, and was happy without them, but this is one of those once you try it you can't go back scenarios.

The SS handles the same, as it should. It does seem tighter than the stock V6 suspension but it is not a night and day difference. I had BMR springs on the V6 that will go on my SS when I get the chance, I imagine it will still handle the same.

The V6 brakes much shorter than the 8, I could tell that immediately. However the pedal feel is softer and mushy making it difficult to achieve precision without a lot of seat time. The SS brakes are more precise and the pedal feels stiff and thus more sporty.

Interestingly there is also a big difference in gas pedal feel, not necessarily power related. The SS requires you press the pedal slightly more to achieve more than about 5-10% throttle. The 6 doesn't have this sort of "deadzone." I'm assuming it must be a sort of safety feature on the SS because once you press that pedal far enough, the kraken is released.

This thing PULLS. The V6 LLT legitimately pulls you and your passenger into your seats. The V8 LS3 however smashes you in. The difference will put a huge smile on an enthusiast's face, no doubt. It really scares you at higher MPH because you really start to feel it pulling your body into the seat and you realize how insanely fast it can go. The 6 creeps up to higher MPH and gives you a chance to think about what you are doing, the SS DOES NOT.

So all in all, if you can afford it and you are a person who likes to go fast, the SS is your car.

I must say though, if you don't drive like you're in the fast and the furious and speed isn't too big a deal for you, the V6 is probably actually the better car overall. A loaded up 2LT RS should be just fine for the average driver. The SS is really for the person who tinkers with their car every weekend, who doesn't know how many times they've been to the track, or how many tickets they have gotten...

Hell yeah! LSx power!
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #59
Trickster929

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I had my V6 for 3 years and 50,000 miles (49,345) and yesterday I traded up to a 2SS/RS. I figured I'd post my honest review as it might be helpful to someone.

As far as the exterior goes, the cars looked comically identical when I arrived at the dealer. My signature is actually my V6 so you can see what I'm talking about. I was unwilling to give up my beautiful Euro meshs so I offered the dealer a deal, they could swap the SS's stock rims to my 6, and put my rims on the SS.

The real visual differences happened getting into the car. My 6 was a 1LT with just the RS package and a spare tire. So going to what appears to be a nearly fully loaded 2SS is a giant leap. My 1LT interior now seems quite incomplete in comparison. Leather seats, heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, bluetooth with steering wheel controls, door lighting, Boston sound, what a massive difference. I never needed any of these things, and was happy without them, but this is one of those once you try it you can't go back scenarios.

The SS handles the same, as it should. It does seem tighter than the stock V6 suspension but it is not a night and day difference. I had BMR springs on the V6 that will go on my SS when I get the chance, I imagine it will still handle the same.

The V6 brakes much shorter than the 8, I could tell that immediately. However the pedal feel is softer and mushy making it difficult to achieve precision without a lot of seat time. The SS brakes are more precise and the pedal feels stiff and thus more sporty.

Interestingly there is also a big difference in gas pedal feel, not necessarily power related. The SS requires you press the pedal slightly more to achieve more than about 5-10% throttle. The 6 doesn't have this sort of "deadzone." I'm assuming it must be a sort of safety feature on the SS because once you press that pedal far enough, the kraken is released.

This thing PULLS. The V6 LLT legitimately pulls you and your passenger into your seats. The V8 LS3 however smashes you in. The difference will put a huge smile on an enthusiast's face, no doubt. It really scares you at higher MPH because you really start to feel it pulling your body into the seat and you realize how insanely fast it can go. The 6 creeps up to higher MPH and gives you a chance to think about what you are doing, the SS DOES NOT.

So all in all, if you can afford it and you are a person who likes to go fast, the SS is your car.

I must say though, if you don't drive like you're in the fast and the furious and speed isn't too big a deal for you, the V6 is probably actually the better car overall. A loaded up 2LT RS should be just fine for the average driver. The SS is really for the person who tinkers with their car every weekend, who doesn't know how many times they've been to the track, or how many tickets they have gotten...
Outstanding review! I love my 2011 2LT/RS. No regrets with my choice but I do have much respect for the SS. My upgrade in the future will be a ZL1!
Trickster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #60
Goldknight

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
21 tickets in two years lol
How do you still have a license? And if you do I would probably argue that you shouldn't. Unless most of those are for smoked tail lights or something.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #61
BARRYR57
57VINN

Drives: 2011 CAMARO
I HAVE A 2011 LT THAT I MADE INTO A 69 SS CLONE.... CHECK OUT MY PICS ON MY PROFILE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK?
BARRYR57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #62
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
I upgraded yesterday to a SS. Stupid test drive on a whim...never drove a v8 car before, just some trucks.

Don't test drive the SS. The v6 is a wonderful and powerful machine but the v8 is a little more so. Cept my mpg is 16 with average speed of 44?!
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #63
scooter6

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro
Great review

I had a 12 1LT 6m and put 20k on it and went to a 13 1SS 6m the SS does feel tighter and does ride slightly stiffer I did love the V6 it was the fastest V6 I ever drove. The SS sits lower than the V6 because I could always slip the floor jack under the front of the V6 and I have to drive the SS onto 2x6 to get the jack under it. Both cars are great but the SS has this additude about it and it make all the right rumblings I love it
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #64
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Great review. Good to hear from someone who has owned both.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #65
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
good commentary. i am looking at new coupe and verts, 1 LT vert or 2LT coupe due to what i can afford. i am not into racing, so the v6 is plenty for daily driver. however, i am amazed at how an SS can get 28 to 30 on hwy, thats what the v6 gets. it all depends on what your purpose for the car is. i am looking at cruising and driving to work, and 323 hp should do fine. i grew up in 70's and had camaro and chevelles with v8s. good engines but gas was cheaper and they were cheaper to work on and fix too.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #66
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
If I ever get another Camaro it'll have a V8. In my truck now I LOOOOVE that rumble. I am not even worried about the speed, but that displacement...man it's beautiful.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #67
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy View Post
I upgraded yesterday to a SS. Stupid test drive on a whim...never drove a v8 car before, just some trucks.

Don't test drive the SS. The v6 is a wonderful and powerful machine but the v8 is a little more so. Cept my mpg is 16 with average speed of 44?!
Congrats on the upgrade. I've owned both. The v6 is a great car, but I'm extremely glad I upgraded to the SS. This is my first V8 car, and its the best car I've ever owned. You get so much bang for the buck. I'm not too concerned with luxury, I just love raw, American power.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #68
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRYR57 View Post
I HAVE A 2011 LT THAT I MADE INTO A 69 SS CLONE.... CHECK OUT MY PICS ON MY PROFILE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK?
no pics?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote