Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Anyone here try the Hotchkis Max Rear Chassis Brace kit?

Is this more suited for drag racing? Sorta reminds me of the old school traction bars they used to install.
Attached Images

55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
not like a traction bar.

just a chassis stiffner. Tieing together different parts of the chassis. I'm sure it helps stiffen the car but not sure its worth the weight penality??
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
hasn't pedders already stated that chasis bracing is not really necessary on this car, or was that only if you didnt plan on an all out race car?

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Hi guys, we did extensive track testing (including mounting cameras on the rear subframe) and determined that it IS necessary on cars with increased power or that will see even casual track time. A company that doesn't make one might suggest it's not necessary... but we also caught a certain engineer from a certain company in our booth before the start of the SEMA show with a camera and a micrometer writing down the specs on all our parts.

The brace works really well and makes a discernible difference, it was also engineered in conjunction with Lingenfelter, since they also found stock SS cars had excessive rear subframe movement under hard acceleration and were worried about what would happen in a car with 700hp.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Hi guys, we did extensive track testing (including mounting cameras on the rear subframe) and determined that it IS necessary on cars with increased power or that will see even casual track time. A company that doesn't make one might suggest it's not necessary... but we also caught a certain engineer from a certain company in our booth before the start of the SEMA show with a camera and a micrometer writing down the specs on all our parts.

The brace works really well and makes a discernible difference, it was also engineered in conjunction with Lingenfelter, since they also found stock SS cars had excessive rear subframe movement under hard acceleration and were worried about what would happen in a car with 700hp.
well i guess i was wrong then. hey just going off what i have been reading, but this makes me reconsider. i used hotchkis on my srt-4 and it was awesome.

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
... but we also caught a certain engineer from a certain company in our booth before the start of the SEMA show with a camera and a micrometer writing down the specs on all our parts.
That's just wrong

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
Quote:
but we also caught a certain engineer from a certain company in our booth before the start of the SEMA show with a camera and a micrometer writing down the specs on all our parts.
Dude I think I might have chased him out of there for something like that. Seems kinda shady.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
N.H.SS
flatlanders beware

Drives: black 2ss/rs ls3 m6
Will this be help the car hook though? I know the bushings need to be replaced first. Any other products to help traction? Didn't seem to find anything at SEMA.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
55Designs

Hotchkis thanks for jumping in the thread I posted.

Will this be a good upgrade for cars driven on the street around 500hp mark?

We all know the subframe in the rear sucks ass the way it wiggles does the brace eliminate the wiggle? Does the brace solve the problem that everyone feels urethane subframe bushings will solve?

Give us more details. Also why did you guys use aluminum versus steel?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
RS/SS
The wait is over!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS IOM
I had the Hotchkis TVS on my old Dakota R/T truck and that suspension made the truck handle like most sports cars. Once I stiffened up the chassis with a Kenny Brown X-Brace it further increased the handling and reduced wheel hop. Bottomline is the track pack from Hotchkis looks to be incredibly well engineered for the new Camaro.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
nhss, and 55designs,

Those are good questions, and I'm happy to be able to answer them for you.

Will this be help the car hook?

Yes in testing we found it substantially reduces wheel hop

Will this be a good upgrade for cars driven on the street around 500hp mark?

This is highly recommended for any car with increased HP.

We all know the subframe in the rear sucks ass the way it wiggles does the brace eliminate the wiggle? Does the brace solve the problem that everyone feels urethane subframe bushings will solve?

Yes it resolves the wiggle without adding the harsh ride caused by other solutions.

Give us more details. Also why did you guys use aluminum versus steel?

We met with our engineers and our metal supplier (we only use domestic steel and aluminum - not everyone can claim that and it makes a BIG difference in long-term product durability) and they assured us that this special extruded elliptical aluminum tubing, when TIG welded and diagonally braced would be stronger than a single rectangular steel subframe brace tube. This way we save weight on the already heavy 2010 Camaro and create a more rigid brace in the process - plus the eliptical tubing is essential for maintaining ground clearance and a stealth appearance under the car.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
55Designs

Sold! Great video man!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Nice! Is any ground clearance lost?
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
55Designs

I will have one of the first production units before Thanksgiving. Cant wait to report back to everyone on what it does.