Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
'98 Ford Taurus: full story + update.

Heres the story:
I ruined my moms cars transmission, we took it in to get it repaired at the ford dealership we bought it at back in '98 (this is where we always get our work done)

they charged approx. 4k for a new tranny + installation (eww i know)
my mom drives it home a cpl days after they fix the tranny, she said it Seemed fine, but that she didn't have enough time to really test drive it.
Later that day I drove it, and noticed something odd while I was in the middle of a 50 MPH road. (was testing the gears/higher speeds) - seeing as how I have to drive 80% of the time at 50MPH due to driving out to my school, and sometimes work.

what was the odd thing you ask?...it wouldn't accelerate..it was like it switched to neutral and I was just gliding along...pushing the gas...but nothing was happening...finally it caught.
we took it in the next day..
Ford dealership tells us "oops we forgot to connect the sensors".......
so they connect them and give it back to us the next day.
But....it's still happening...they blamed me for breaking the new transmission again...so we take it BACK in...
"oh there was a faulty part within the transmission"....
we get it back again in a few days...
its STILL doing it...(feeling like its switching into neutral even tho it's IN drive, and it usually happened in approx. 20 mins of driving.) - usually happened between 0-20 MPH, or 40-60MPH
we bring it in once again...
they didn't find anything wrong with it.
gave it back to us...
I thought maybe it was just in my head...lol.
but no.

the next day I drove over to my grandparents to do some stuff (approx 7-10 mins of driving) then started driving it downtown to get my paycheck and it stalls literally right around the corner from my house...it was doing the neutral thing again.
so we park it in our garage cuz we're sick of fiddling with fords BS.
couple weeks go by...
we bring it to a local transmission shop thats extremely reputable. (CTT Transmissions)
we tow it to them. and go in, I tell em all the issues that happened.
they took it from us and test drove it the next day.
they said
"our first test drive out, it was fine....but on our way back, we almost didn't make it"...
apparently the whole damn tranny is screwed up...
and guess what?, Ford is STILL trying to make us pay for the transmission that they sold us. so we're gonna have to dispute it. possibly in court =/
fun shit. not.

Meanwhile I've been having to drive my grandpas '05 Lexus ES330...
of which hadn't had a single tune up since 06, and has gotten its oil changed maybe 3 times...we just recently got that done and it drives a shit load better, just needs new tires, and possibly another tune up sometime soon (i don't know if the lunging will ever go away...)
it lunges/lurches at low speeds, as well as when you hit 50 MPG.
why hadn't it gotten an oil change/tune up you ask? - because the 24 hr. caregivers he had at the house sucked and didn't do shit.

Good news/update:
CTT Transmissions said they could easily fix the problem, but they'll test drive it after they fix it just to make sure there aren't any other side issues.
So hopefully soon we'll have our Taurus back...of which at this time I wish wasn't a stupid FORD.
CTT Transmissions Also told us, that since the mid 80's, there has been issues with the Ford Taurus' Transmissions (as well as its counterparts) - such as the Mercury Sable. They said it was Extremely cheaply made, very poor quality, and breaks very easily...
they said their shop was completely full of these types of cars a couple years after the mid 80's launch of the taurus/sable...and continue to see them come in quite frequently.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
I don't believe you ruined that tranny at all.

My wife bought TWO taurus', can't talk to her... The first one was an '86 and the second a '92-- both had transmission issues. I believe that's why ford inevitably discontinued the model. They tried to bring it back but people ain't havin' it.

The '92 just all of the sudden disengaged and started coasting as though it were put in neutral. that was fun...

Check different years to see a pattern http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/1997/

Last edited by Eisenhower; 08-20-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
should buy an alero
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Glad you're getting it fixed. Once done, get rid of that puppy! Tell mom to trade it in and get a Malibu.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
I don't believe you ruined that tranny at all.

My wife bought TWO taurus', can't talk to her... The first one was an '86 and the second a '92-- both had transmission issues. I believe that's why ford inevitably discontinued the model. They tried to bring it back but people ain't havin' it.

The '92 just all of the sudden disengaged and started coasting as though it were put in neutral. that was fun...

Check different years to see a pattern http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/1997/
Oh the AXOD in the '86 DEFINITELY had transmission issues. Internal lubrication was the issue. The AXOD-E and AX4N were nearly as bad. Simply put, the AX series were never good transmissions.

Ford's current transmission is either the 6 speed Aisin-Warner (Toyota) or the joint venture GM/Ford 6T70 transmission. Death to the AX series!

I'm honestly suprised that someone at the dealership actually pulled the transmission apart and rebuilt it. Usually you get a factory reman unit from the dealer. Especially for $4000.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
Oh the AXOD in the '86 DEFINITELY had transmission issues. Internal lubrication was the issue. The AXOD-E and AX4N were nearly as bad. Simply put, the AX series were never good transmissions.

Ford's current transmission is either the 6 speed Aisin-Warner (Toyota) or the joint venture GM/Ford 6T70 transmission. Death to the AX series!

I'm honestly suprised that someone at the dealership actually pulled the transmission apart and rebuilt it. Usually you get a factory reman unit from the dealer. Especially for $4000.
naw it was at CTT transmissions that are pulling it appart and rebuilding it..the dealership (ford) just gave us another one - which they claimed to have been new, but apparently there are many faulty parts within this "new" transmission they gave us.
CTT Transmissions is taking the one ford gave us, apart, and putting aftermarket pieces on it that are stronger/more durable.
for approx 1200? i believe.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote