Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Lenny413

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
At first I thought it could be my rims, since my wife has scraped all four of them on curbs and removed a little metal.

I eliminated that possibility though when I noticed it only happens under a light engine load.

Coasting at 70... No vibration.
Steep hill at 70... No vibration.
Flat surface or gentle incline at 70... Vibration.

It has been there as long as I can remember.
Lenny413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Just posted some info in another thread which is bumped up top in this section.

also dealers by law are not allowed to road test a vehicle past the posted speed limits so this really is an issue and they will never duplicate the problem because they know what a headache it will cause as they throw parts and labor at a bad design from GM
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
Lenny413

The speed limit on the highway by the dealer is 70 mph... and the problem is most noticeable for me around 68/69. I actually had the shop foreman sit in the passenger seat while I drove it and replicated the problem. Even though I could easily identify the vibration, he said time and time again that he couldn't feel it.

Very frustrating. I'm going to try and bring it in to a different dealer this weekend. I'm bringing it in for the third time for the same issue within 20k miles.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
midlifemike

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Wow, 140 ft/lbs for lugs, that's pretty high.
midlifemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
truckin-on

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 'vert IOM/IO
I took my car (2011 SS Convert) in for the vibration problem. For me it was most noticeable around 72-78. Unfortunately, there is nowhere near the dealer for them to get it up to those speeds, legal or otherwise. In any event, they did a balance and I would say it improved the situation somewhat - by 30% or so. This may be due to re-indexing the wheels, or what I don't know. The vibration does not seem to change much with on-gas or coasting. I have to say, it feels quite a bit like the driveshaft vibration I had originally in my '95 Z28. Given the hassle of taking it back in again, I haven't yet. And my lack of confidence that the dealer will materially improve the situation.
truckin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Let us know how it goes for you Lenny. Sorry to see so many of you having these issues. Hopefully we can get this addressed for you guys. I don't currently see any documentation but I'll make sure to check as often as I need to to get this addressed for you all.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifemike View Post
Wow, 140 ft/lbs for lugs, that's pretty high.
Yeah it nuts. I have to buy another torque wrench for that high.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #22
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
subscribing
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #23
Lenny413

UPDATE: I brought it in for the third time for this issue... this time to the original dealer the car was purchased from. (The last two times were to a different Chevrolet dealer for convenience/distance reasons.)

This dealer told me that they drove the car and were able to detect the exact issue I was complaining about. They said there is indeed a vibration issue with the drivetrain. The problem now is... they went and drove another 2010 they had on the lot, as well as a 2011 and they both exhibited the same drivetrain vibration issue around 69/70 mph.

They said they never had anyone complain about this before, but now that I've brough it to light they are able to replicate the conditions to make it show up in their other camaros. The problem is... they said there is nothing they can do to fix it because they don't know what is causing it. (My money is still on driveshaft/pinion angle.)

So... I get to pick up my car again for the third time this afternoon... and drive it home for the third time with an annoying vibration in the drivetrain.

My leasing agent said to file a claim under the lemon law... so that's probably what I'll do and see what happens.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny413 View Post
UPDATE: I brought it in for the third time for this issue... this time to the original dealer the car was purchased from. (The last two times were to a different Chevrolet dealer for convenience/distance reasons.)

This dealer told me that they drove the car and were able to detect the exact issue I was complaining about. They said there is indeed a vibration issue with the drivetrain. The problem now is... they went and drove another 2010 they had on the lot, as well as a 2011 and they both exhibited the same drivetrain vibration issue around 69/70 mph.

They said they never had anyone complain about this before, but now that I've brough it to light they are able to replicate the conditions to make it show up in their other camaros. The problem is... they said there is nothing they can do to fix it because they don't know what is causing it. (My money is still on driveshaft/pinion angle.)

So... I get to pick up my car again for the third time this afternoon... and drive it home for the third time with an annoying vibration in the drivetrain.

My leasing agent said to file a claim under the lemon law... so that's probably what I'll do and see what happens.
Is there anything new to report?
Does the vibration occur again in the 138 - 140 range?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #25
55Designs

Drives: 2010
JusticePete I hope Lenny413 is local and you guys can hook up. I really would like to hear your feedback ones you drive a car plagued down with this annoying issue. On many cars the speeds vary where it comes in most car its around 80mph mark and above.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
HPE650Ragtop

Drives: HPE650 Camaro Convertible
I am having the same issue but mine starts around 50 mph and never stops. It only occurs under light to moderate load. If I let off the throttle the vibration stops. We have replaced the driveshaft, couplers and bolts. No change. We have re-balanced the wheels. No change. We checked the rotors, recut the fronts. No change. Checked the engine for codes repaired a misfire. No change. Tomorrow I am going to replace the rear wheels and tires. If that doesn't work the half shafts are next. Then differential, then ..... I don't know. Any ideas or insight would be appreciated.
HPE650Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #27
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPE650Ragtop View Post
I am having the same issue but mine starts around 50 mph and never stops. It only occurs under light to moderate load. If I let off the throttle the vibration stops. We have replaced the driveshaft, couplers and bolts. No change. We have re-balanced the wheels. No change. We checked the rotors, recut the fronts. No change. Checked the engine for codes repaired a misfire. No change. Tomorrow I am going to replace the rear wheels and tires. If that doesn't work the half shafts are next. Then differential, then ..... I don't know. Any ideas or insight would be appreciated.
Is your car stock and if not can you list all the mods?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
HPE650Ragtop

Drives: HPE650 Camaro Convertible
Not stock. Maggie, headers, high flow cats, cam, heads ported, Hennessey tune, kw variant 3 coil overs. All done at 30 miles. No issues for over 8k. At around 7,500 I added a janetty posi mod and Drive Shaft Shop 1400hp half shafts. Trouble started about a month later. It started slow with a very slight vibration and got steadily worse over 500 miles. Just changed the rear wheels, still no chage in the vibration. Stock half shafts are going back in tomorrow night.
HPE650Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote