Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Gauging interest, thoughts please...no more door dings?

So i would probably drive my car more if i were guaranteed that some idiot wouldn't door ding me. As it is i park in the next zip code whenever i go anywhere, and if there isn't a parking place i simply will leave. I simply will not let some idiot ruin my car. I cant imagine i am the only person that feels this way.

I came up with an idea, and want to know if there is any interest in something like this, before i would make them. My 1st attempt was a fail, this is the 2nd and it worked,but this is just a rough draft. It will be similar,but not as ugly. It attaches with a non scratching magnetic paper. It is something that would be in your trunk and can be put on when you have no where else to park, as you can judge where the car next to you door will most likely impact yours if you happen to be next to an idiot.

Im guessing it would cost something like $50.00. Just for the 12x12 piece of that magnetic paper i bought cost me $25.00, but i would obviously buy it in bulk, so i imagine it would be a little cheaper.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Not something I would do, but hey that's me. Beside your only covering a small area and you'll likely attract some ass that would ding you just for seeing that on the car.

I just continue to park as far away as possible and hope for the best, if I get a ding I'll get it fixed.

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-30-2014 at 01:28 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
It's a pretty good idea. I'm a lot less concerned about someone dinging my car on purpose than I am about the 4 year old kicking open the door of his soccer mom's SUV and into the side of my car, and this would be good for that sort of thing.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
What if someone steals it off your car? It is removable so what is stopping someone from taking it off of your car to use it on theirs. Im with nyrfan on this park as far as possible and hope for the best. But I have noticed that since I don't have a Camaro anymore and a much smaller car I don't have to worry as much.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I think your idea is good, but it's not something I'd pay to buy and ship as a retail item. I see it more as a "do it yourself" -type item where the same materials or similar materials could be easily procured from Home Depot or leftover junk in the garage. But you've done a nice job with yours, and who knows, you might get some hits!

Now, if you could come up with a magnetic forcefield that activated whenever the car was parked, making it impossible for a flying car door to even come in contact with my Camaro, I'd pay dearly for that!!
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Ummmm... no. But thanks for thinking of others and don't give up on a possible solution to dealing with thoughtless idiots.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Great idea, but looks a little too douchey for my taste. When I see $100k trucks parked at Whole Foods inches apart, I feel a little weird putting "door-ding protection" on a $40k Camaro. I'd just park farther away.

Awesome idea though, my first ding was 4 inches behind the Camaro badge, before I made my first payment. My second, an inch in front of the Camaro badge, was two weeks a ago since I got lazy with parking waiting for my new Jeep to come. You'd need door length protection for sure.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
The old door and body spears work well. You don't see them much anymore. For reference, have a look at the late 80s IROC Camaros.

Your mind is in the right place but I wouldn't buy this. Keep at it, though. Every idea has to start somewhere.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
The old door and body spears work well. You don't see them much anymore. For reference, have a look at the late 80s IROC Camaros.

Your mind is in the right place but I wouldn't buy this. Keep at it, though. Every idea has to start somewhere.

Huh? You mean the big crease with plastic molding over the top of it on the 3rd gen doors? Or are you talking about something else?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
That reminds me of these foam door bumpers everyone has on their cars in Korea. They work only because everyone has them.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
These are $30 a pair and work well.

http://www.preventadent.com/
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
IDK, I think I'd go with one of these car ding protection systems:

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Krajkerjac

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
IDK, I think I'd go with one of these car ding protection systems:

Instant classic!!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
NotchedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM L99
Make the pad cover all horizontal angles incase of a hail storm and don't have a garage. That's usually my concern. Would be better than buying a big bubble lol.
-SLP Loudmouth I Muffler Delete
-V8 Only Range Device
-Technostalgia Advanced Taillights
-Elite Engineering Catch Can
-Anvil Notch Spoiler
NotchedSS is offline   Reply With Quote