Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #15
NA18CamaroSS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Who is Brett's go to guy?
X2. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:11 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA18CamaroSS View Post
X2. Inquiring minds want to know.
Crickets...imagine that!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #17
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I'm sure he has a couple "go to guys" from what I've been told, but there's a fella over on HP tuners that I was referring to who does an excellent job and has been at it longer. Be glad to give anyone his info if they want to PM me but not putting it up on the forums out of respect for both guys.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #18
Doc Oc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Crickets...imagine that!
Sorry don't check this sub very often as it's pretty dead.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
KingLT1

Lol..you basically put Brett on blast but now you are talking about "respect"?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #20
Doc Oc

I see your point but I never said anything negative about Brett, just that he's charging nearly double what the tuners he's learned from charge. That's not exactly a secret. More power to him if people are willing to pay it but the Gen6 community is my priority, not the guys who make money off them. If I can provide some info that gets people a good tune for a good price, I'm happy to do so. Competition is good for the consumer.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 04-29-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Doc Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #21
KingLT1

I don't know anybody that properly tunes gen5 to only charge 300.00. I have been tuning stuff as a hobby for almost 10yrs. The only thing 250-300 gets is a base tune that still needs finished.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #22
Doc Oc

You need to know more peeps then lol!

We are talking comprehensive tunes including full tranny file. And when I say comprehensive I mean it. I've looked at most of the well known tuners files that everyone here knows over the last year and I've not found one that changed as many parameters. I'm not saying the others don't get the job done but you know the compare file function doesn't lie. Do to the fact that I work at the dyno shop who did my first tune I can't do a pull to compare actual #'s without it getting real awkward, but I can tell you draggy reported a 5 mph difference with the new tune. I was very impressed. And due to my msd being a leaky POS we did numerous files at no extra cost. I know Pray and a lot of these other places have overhead that these background tuners don't, and they have more liability, so I don't fault them for charging more at all, but sharing this kind of info is what these forums are all about.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:04 AM   #23
1LE_L1FE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I don't really understand how you could be comfortable implying that Pray is inferior to others and overcharges but are uncomfortable sharing a recommendation.

Only sharing via PM sounds sketchy - sounds like maybe something you wouldn't want publicly fact checked.

I know little about any of this, but that's how it comes off to an outsider like me.
1LE_L1FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #24
NA18CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
You need to know more peeps then lol!

We are talking comprehensive tunes including full tranny file. And when I say comprehensive I mean it. I've looked at most of the well known tuners files that everyone here knows over the last year and I've not found one that changed as many parameters. I'm not saying the others don't get the job done but you know the compare file function doesn't lie. Do to the fact that I work at the dyno shop who did my first tune I can't do a pull to compare actual #'s without it getting real awkward, but I can tell you draggy reported a 5 mph difference with the new tune. I was very impressed. And due to my msd being a leaky POS we did numerous files at no extra cost. I know Pray and a lot of these other places have overhead that these background tuners don't, and they have more liability, so I don't fault them for charging more at all, but sharing this kind of info is what these forums are all about.
I have $300 to spend. I am willing to put your tuner to the test. I will dyno his tune vs my Pray tune back to back and will post the charts. I will say that my Pray tune drives really well, I just have to be careful with the throttle in 1st and 2nd gears because the rear end wants to break loose and go sideways.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #25
Doc Oc

Jesus. So now Pray's tune is inferior and I'm uncomfortable sharing a recommendation? Literally the only reason I made the post WAS to share a recommendation but obviously that was a mistake. Gonna have a dyno-off? Wtf!? You're literally willing to spend $350 to defend Pray? From what? His tune is probably fantastic, it should be, he learned from some of the best in the biz. I would be shocked if it was anything but good and I never implied otherwise. All I'm saying is you can get those same results cheaper. I'd think people would be happy about that.

To any future searchers, there is a forum out there dedicated to tuning, you can meet very knowledgeable people on it who don't promote themselves but have been doing the work for a very long time. They will save you money and get you a great tune. I am not going to share their info any longer after seeing these responses. To the 4-5 people I've already given it to, you're welcome to share your results but I'd ask that you please not post the name publicly. There are people here who are obviously more concerned with protecting Pray than they are the 6th Gen community and I am not interested in causing any grief for a guy that didn't ask for it and who doesn't know me from Adam.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #26
NA18CamaroSS

Quote:
J Gonna have a dyno-off? Wtf!? You're literally willing to spend $350 to defend Pray? .
You mistake me. I am not defending Pray. It's easy to say this part or that part makes X HP or this tuner or that tuner is better. I am all about testing and learning. If you look at my posts you will see lots of dyno charts comparing various components and tunes. No need to get defensive. We are all learning here.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #27
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Well, we are getting long from the OP questions
Geez, Doc Oc, you make a recommendation. Fine, make the recommendation and move on, please.

OP, here's another view point: Paying a tuner $300 vs $600 saves you $300 obviously.
But considering the cost of the goodies we are buying, cost of HP Tuner mpvi2 and all the credits, tcm unlock, etc, cost of the car, that $300 is pretty insignificant, at least as i see it. Especially when it comes to the critical world of tuning. All the mods in the world will be crap if the car is not programmed right. It is worth noting that the referenced Pray also does retunes for free.
For me, i wanted someone who had lots of good references. But that of course is your choice.... it's obvious that you're doing the research... pick who you're comfortable with. ;-)

As for options on mods, there's probably no absolute answer, depends on what you want. I personally like your first round of suggestions. It is almost exactly what i did for first round. I did a rf dry, ported 95 tb, ported stock IM, E85, and ecm/tcm tunes. I can those woke the car up so much it about scared me. Of the changes I saw, the E was the biggest contributor i suspect.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: on exhaust, did i see your in Cali? if so, i doubt i'd mess with it. Unless you want to start changing sound. Exhaust components can be even more pricing than for example an msd,a nd maybe less gain. Added with the exhaust and inspection regiments in your state... i wouldn't do it, but your choice. if you make it get air easier, and add some E and good tuning, i suspect you'll have fun.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:35 PM   #28
KingLT1

Quote:
Jesus. So now Pray's tune is inferior and I'm uncomfortable sharing a recommendation? Literally the only reason I made the post WAS to share a recommendation but obviously that was a mistake. Gonna have a dyno-off? Wtf!? You're literally willing to spend $350 to defend Pray? From what? His tune is probably fantastic, it should be, he learned from some of the best in the biz. I would be shocked if it was anything but good and I never implied otherwise. All I'm saying is you can get those same results cheaper. I'd think people would be happy about that.

To any future searchers, there is a forum out there dedicated to tuning, you can meet very knowledgeable people on it who don't promote themselves but have been doing the work for a very long time. They will save you money and get you a great tune. I am not going to share their info any longer after seeing these responses. To the 4-5 people I've already given it to, you're welcome to share your results but I'd ask that you please not post the name publicly. There are people here who are obviously more concerned with protecting Pray than they are the 6th Gen community and I am not interested in causing any grief for a guy that didn't ask for it and who doesn't know me from Adam.
Nobody is defending Pray. Read my post history...I am pretty sure I have shared a ton more tuning info around here then you have. Actually I have shared enough free info "career tuners" probably don't care for me. lol

All I asked was to cite your source to back up your claim. I am well aware there are background tuners on HPt and know some will tune for cheaper. Either way I am not going to say something silly like Higgs Bosson taught Brett everything he knows. There is no point to say shit like that in a thread like this. If somebody asks for recommended tuner then yea you might offer your opinion in a better way such as" "hey I know a guy that is very good and reasonable priced, PM me for more info".