Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
optimus67
 
Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 17
Piston issues /engine replacement

Hi guys, don't know if I'm at the right place

I have a standard Chevy Camaro 2012 LS, bought it With 33000km and had an engine replacement at 47k no oil in the car for some reasons
so fast forward to now, I drove the car for like 50k, pistons are flapping, ticking wtv you wanna call it. I called GM, told them I was gonna sue them, they didn't care, they can't help me out I went to the dealership, made an oil change, costed me 300$ cause apparently it was a 100% synthetic oil like the one they put in Corvette, that didn't change anything . So they want me to open up the engine, would cost about 1500$, which I don't feel like spending, because most probably they gonna say to replace the engine, and I don't think I should be going through this when the new engine barely has 50k


I need help, I dont know what to do anymore. Anybody has any suggestions, solutions?

Thank you

Last edited by optimus67; 10-23-2019 at 09:55 PM.
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Avenging Orange


 
Avenging Orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clermont, IN
Posts: 2,747
Need more info. I'm assuming a dealership replaced or rebuilt the engine? How often do you check/change your oil? Do you change it yourself or does dealership?
__________________
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather,Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Haltech CAI , non synthetic fluids, Mike Norris tuned 419/413
2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Avenging Orange: 41 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass
 
canadian ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: grimsby, ont.
Posts: 469
When will the 3.6 crowd listen to me when I say the 3.6L is the biggest piece of shit engine you can find in a GM vehicle?

If I were you, I would have got the oil change first (which they overcharged you on BTW) and THEN complain about the noise a few days later. Tell them it was after they touched it when you noticed the problem. You have a better chance of getting something done than telling them you have an issue in the first place. Never admit your guilt to a shop especially a dealership!

I use AMSOIL 5W30 oil (which is a true 100% class 4 synthetic vs. class 3 Mobil 1 and others) in my Camaro. 9 litres cost me about $240 CAD.

There is absolutely NO WAY your 3.6 would be $300 for an oil change!!!

All you can do is show receipts for oil changes and the miles you drove in between to show that you did your part. Hopefully they have mercy on you.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
optimus67
 
Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Need more info. I'm assuming a dealership replaced or rebuilt the engine? How often do you check/change your oil? Do you change it yourself or does dealership?
Well GM is saying its a brand new engine, not a rebuilt. As for the oil change, they were always done at the dealer...I always check my oil and change it when it's due...i drive my car to work, im not doing a fast and furious movie or spending my days at the track, if that wouldve been the case, id understand.
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
optimus67
 
Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
When will the 3.6 crowd listen to me when I say the 3.6L is the biggest piece of shit engine you can find in a GM vehicle?

If I were you, I would have got the oil change first (which they overcharged you on BTW) and THEN complain about the noise a few days later. Tell them it was after they touched it when you noticed the problem. You have a better chance of getting something done than telling them you have an issue in the first place. Never admit your guilt to a shop especially a dealership!

I use AMSOIL 5W30 oil (which is a true 100% class 4 synthetic vs. class 3 Mobil 1 and others) in my Camaro. 9 litres cost me about $240 CAD.

There is absolutely NO WAY your 3.6 would be $300 for an oil change!!!

All you can do is show receipts for oil changes and the miles you drove in between to show that you did your part. Hopefully they have mercy on you.
Well man, what are the odds of the new engine giving me probs after 50 k? its crazy man


Well, they already have a file of me saying i went there complaining about a noise in the engine. They are assuming its the pistons, but they want to open up the engine to confirm 100%.

Im thinking of filing a complaint and bringing them to court, because they dont want to help me.
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass
 
canadian ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: grimsby, ont.
Posts: 469
The new engine should have a warranty on it. Do you have any documentation of the engine warranty? If so, rear it and see if you fall within it.

Call GM Customer service and ask them who you can get in touch with regarding the issue and get them to start a ticket on it. Get the ticket number as well.

Ask, no sorry, TELL the service manager you want a District Manager to get involved. Tell the dealer to take a sample of your oil (as you watch) and get in analyzed. You want to make sure they are using the correct oil.

The dealership will have all your service records. Ask for a print out of all your oil changes done on the new engine. You might need it in case of court.

If you scream at them, you get nothing. They will laugh at you. Swearing and yelling will hurt your plea. You almost have to cry to have them do something.
If you are loyal to that dealership, tell them you are. Tell them you get most of your services there. They will check. Tell them if they help, you will do ALL your services with them. Tell them you are willing to pay for the diagnostic.

If they still dont attempt to help:
Tell them you will take it to the media. Tell them you will have a news station on their property if no help is given. Tell the dealer you will file a complaint about them to GM. Tell them how you are being treated. Tell them this will be your last GM. Tell them you're losing faith in the brand.

GM has big lawyers. You will need a good lawyer yourself. They will drag it out to the point you go broke. Good luck.

Ask for compassion. Tell them you're not in a good financial situation and you need this car to make a paycheck.

Do research on 3.6L engine. You need to show them that the engine is grenade. Good Luck!
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
optimus67
 
Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
The new engine should have a warranty on it. Do you have any documentation of the engine warranty? If so, rear it and see if you fall within it.

Call GM Customer service and ask them who you can get in touch with regarding the issue and get them to start a ticket on it. Get the ticket number as well.

Ask, no sorry, TELL the service manager you want a District Manager to get involved. Tell the dealer to take a sample of your oil (as you watch) and get in analyzed. You want to make sure they are using the correct oil.

The dealership will have all your service records. Ask for a print out of all your oil changes done on the new engine. You might need it in case of court.

If you scream at them, you get nothing. They will laugh at you. Swearing and yelling will hurt your plea. You almost have to cry to have them do something.
If you are loyal to that dealership, tell them you are. Tell them you get most of your services there. They will check. Tell them if they help, you will do ALL your services with them. Tell them you are willing to pay for the diagnostic.

If they still dont attempt to help:
Tell them you will take it to the media. Tell them you will have a news station on their property if no help is given. Tell the dealer you will file a complaint about them to GM. Tell them how you are being treated. Tell them this will be your last GM. Tell them you're losing faith in the brand.

GM has big lawyers. You will need a good lawyer yourself. They will drag it out to the point you go broke. Good luck.

Ask for compassion. Tell them you're not in a good financial situation and you need this car to make a paycheck.

Do research on 3.6L engine. You need to show them that the engine is grenade. Good Luck!
Thanks man for your help, i appreciate....as for contacting GM, i spoke with a supervisor, all she kept saying is that the warranty is over. When they replaced the engine, i had 1 year/ 20k...i wrote on their GM facebook page/ twitter, everything, and they didnt do anything...

as for the dealer, they told me there is nothing they can do and it would be at my cost. I contacted the protection office for consumer, and they said a new engine by law, should have lasted more than 3 years. I barely drove the car.

thanks again
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass
 
canadian ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: grimsby, ont.
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus67 View Post
I contacted the protection office for consumer, and they said a new engine by law, should have lasted more than 3 years. I barely drove the car.

thanks again
Thats where its weird.

A NEW GM engine would have a 3 year warranty. Not 1. And x-amount miles.

If anything the labor is 1 year.

Maybe for shits N giggles, call a different GM dealership and ask the parts guy what a 3.6L crate engine warranty is. If its different from the dealer that put it in, and you are within warranty, you might have a good case on your hands.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
cookiecdcmk
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: FL
Posts: 9
Warranty on a new GM Goodwrench engine installed by a dealer should be for 3 years or 100000 miles whichever comes first. Looks like there may be more to the story than "it is out of warranty"?
cookiecdcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
optimus67
 
Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
Thats where its weird.

A NEW GM engine would have a 3 year warranty. Not 1. And x-amount miles.

If anything the labor is 1 year.

Maybe for shits N giggles, call a different GM dealership and ask the parts guy what a 3.6L crate engine warranty is. If its different from the dealer that put it in, and you are within warranty, you might have a good case on your hands.

The dealer told me it was a brand new engine...and it had 1 year 20,000km warranty....I called GM, spoke with the supervisor and told me the warranty would end when my extended warranty would finish...so i was like if my warranty finished july 29, and had the replacement done july 28, i would have only 1 day warranty? she answered yes, which i was shocked because it didnt make any sense.

so at this point, i was given so many info, and in order to sue the shit out of them, my lawyer told me to have a complete diagnostic, that means only in inspection it would cost me 2k+, and i dont feel like spending that kind of money
thanks buddy, will do that. ill let you know

Last edited by optimus67; 11-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
optimus67
 
Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecdcmk View Post
Warranty on a new GM Goodwrench engine installed by a dealer should be for 3 years or 100000 miles whichever comes first. Looks like there may be more to the story than "it is out of warranty"?

is the policy different in Canada?
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
cookiecdcmk
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: FL
Posts: 9
I may have understood the engine replacement; it sounds like the engine was replaced under warranty? That changes the warranty to the remainder of the warranty period, time and mileage or 12 months of unlimited mileage. The 36 month/100000 mile warranty is for a customer paid engine replacement made at the GM dealer. Sounds like a complex issue for you.
cookiecdcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass
 
canadian ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: grimsby, ont.
Posts: 469
I would call GM Canada Customer Service Centre.

Its a 1-800 number in your owner/warranty manual.

Tell them the situation and ask what the coverage of the NEW engine would be in years and kms.

Even if it was replaced under warranty, the replacement engine would have its own unique warranty especially if it expired a day later.

Canadian and American warranty are different. Canadians usually get the shit end of the stick.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.