Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Cambo

Drives: 2010 V6 RS
Starter heatsoak

Hey guys!

I know heatsoak is a fairly common issue and there are a million posts about it. I have tried everything I've been able to find in forums and nothing has helped. It's a 2010 v6, by the way. All stock except catch can and axle back, both of which were done recently, long after the issues started.

I thought I'd finally fixed it but I guess not. Last week after work, I drove 15 miles, 12 of which were highway and 3 of which were in town/stop and go. I parked in my driveway and then decided to move to the other side of the driveway. It started but the starter motor slowed and stopped briefly before finally starting the car.

Now here is what I've tried so far:

-New ac delco starter wrapped with a generic heat blanket from Amazon. I thought this fixed it but after about a 2 hour drive I started noticing the symptoms again.
-New battery. Again, it seemed to help but didn't totally fix the issue. Mine was original so it was about time anyway. New battery has ~200 higher CCA than factory.
-Added a ground strap. I ran a ground strap directly from one of the 3 bolts on the starter to the transmission. There was a loose bolt on the tranny for some reason so I attached it there. Would that work or does it need to go to the chassis directly?
-Installed a 00 jumper wire bypassing the positive jump point. I'd heard that the jump point could have too much resistance when it gets hot.

I have 2 more options that I can think of:
1. Replace the starter with a high torque starter meant for race cars, which may not fix it if it's not getting enough power.
2. Run a large cable directly from the battery to the starter,which seems like a huge PITA. And I'm not even sure how I'd connect it to the starter.

Sorry for the wall of words. Any input?

Thanks in advance!
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Hey guys!

I know heatsoak is a fairly common issue and there are a million posts about it. I have tried everything I've been able to find in forums and nothing has helped. It's a 2010 v6, by the way. All stock except catch can and axle back, both of which were done recently, long after the issues started.

I thought I'd finally fixed it but I guess not. Last week after work, I drove 15 miles, 12 of which were highway and 3 of which were in town/stop and go. I parked in my driveway and then decided to move to the other side of the driveway. It started but the starter motor slowed and stopped briefly before finally starting the car.

Now here is what I've tried so far:

-New ac delco starter wrapped with a generic heat blanket from Amazon. I thought this fixed it but after about a 2 hour drive I started noticing the symptoms again.
-New battery. Again, it seemed to help but didn't totally fix the issue. Mine was original so it was about time anyway. New battery has ~200 higher CCA than factory.
-Added a ground strap. I ran a ground strap directly from one of the 3 bolts on the starter to the transmission. There was a loose bolt on the tranny for some reason so I attached it there. Would that work or does it need to go to the chassis directly?
-Installed a 00 jumper wire bypassing the positive jump point. I'd heard that the jump point could have too much resistance when it gets hot.

I have 2 more options that I can think of:
1. Replace the starter with a high torque starter meant for race cars, which may not fix it if it's not getting enough power.
2. Run a large cable directly from the battery to the starter,which seems like a huge PITA. And I'm not even sure how I'd connect it to the starter.

Sorry for the wall of words. Any input?

Thanks in advance!
Note 1: Why would you go fro mthe starter to the transmission? You need to reground the entire engine block to the chassis (frame) not the transmiission

Note 2: The OEM cable is 2 gauge from the trunk to the engine. then splits to a 6 gauge sized wire to the starter.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers
•Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Morel Subwoofers
•Audio control LC-6.1200 6ch amp
•Audio control LC-1.1500 sub amp
•Helix DSP Pro
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Cambo

Drives: 2010 V6 RS
Thanks for the quick response! Honestly after I installed the ground strap, I thought that might have been stupid. The first thing I'll do is move the ground strap. Thanks!
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
CamaroBarb

Drives: chevy Camaro
The 1st thing to do before you do anything else is do a starter voltage drop test. Simply attach a dc volt meter across the starter and watch the voltage on a heat soak start. It should stay above 9.6 volts. If it does most likely you have a small coolant leak into one or more cylinders. This will cause slow hot starts. If the voltage is below 9.6 you will need to test back from the starter to the battery to find the fault in the connections or wiring.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote