Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
jay101182

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Supercharger issue getting fixed. Listen to your gut! (Semi-long rant)

So I bought a 2013 ZL1 about 2 weeks ago with only about 26k miles on it. I absolutely love it! However, I started it up the other day and heard a weird squealing sound coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and the noise seemed to be internal to the supercharger. I did some research and found bulletin #13313 that addresses this exact issue and says it's a bad bearing/grease issue and can lead to total engine failure. So I took it to the stealership. Of course the squealing was gone but I still heard a rattling sound...which is also addressed in the bulletin. I explained it all to them...even the bulletin. They had it for a few hours and gave me a call. The service rep told me that the tech said the rattling noise is normal and he has heard it in other ZL1s before. I kinda chuckled and said "The squealing noise I heard is not normal". He said they didn't hear the squeal but the rattle was normal. I then said "If the rattle is normal, why does GM have a bulletin that says to replace the supercharger if it rattles?" After some back and forth, they said they would open up a "TAC" (whatever that means) to reach out to some engineers. So today I get a call saying that they were told to open up the supercharger and inspect it. Guess what they found: a warped bearing! They're changing my supercharger under the extended warranty as we speak. They still don't have a loaner car available for me so that part sucks but it beats blowing my entire engine! Hoping they get me a ride soon!

TL;DR: Getting my supercharger changed under bulletin #13313 after they tried to tell me it was fine. Don't take no for an answer!!! Just feels good to win this one!

"Pretend you are smart, quote somebody famous." - Me
jay101182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
jay101182

And I just realized I don't have pics of my new car uploaded here. Lol...the black one is my old SS. Guess I need to update!!!

Old 10-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay101182 View Post
So I bought a 2013 ZL1 about 2 weeks ago with only about 26k miles on it. I absolutely love it! However, I started it up the other day and heard a weird squealing sound coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and the noise seemed to be internal to the supercharger. I did some research and found bulletin #13313 that addresses this exact issue and says it's a bad bearing/grease issue and can lead to total engine failure. So I took it to the stealership. Of course the squealing was gone but I still heard a rattling sound...which is also addressed in the bulletin. I explained it all to them...even the bulletin. They had it for a few hours and gave me a call. The service rep told me that the tech said the rattling noise is normal and he has heard it in other ZL1s before. I kinda chuckled and said "The squealing noise I heard is not normal". He said they didn't hear the squeal but the rattle was normal. I then said "If the rattle is normal, why does GM have a bulletin that says to replace the supercharger if it rattles?" After some back and forth, they said they would open up a "TAC" (whatever that means) to reach out to some engineers. So today I get a call saying that they were told to open up the supercharger and inspect it. Guess what they found: a warped bearing! They're changing my supercharger under the extended warranty as we speak. They still don't have a loaner car available for me so that part sucks but it beats blowing my entire engine! Hoping they get me a ride soon!

TL;DR: Getting my supercharger changed under bulletin #13313 after they tried to tell me it was fine. Don't take no for an answer!!! Just feels good to win this one!

Unlikely of a blown motor, more of a jumped or busted serp belt. The motor will run without the SC. The squeal can happen when a pebble or small object gets trapped under the Serp belt on the SC. They often pop right off but sometimes can get trapped in the belt, and it can be very loud. Sounds like a 1990 Crown Vick with worn Power Steering pump and belt.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
jay101182

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Unlikely of a blown motor, more of a jumped or busted serp belt. The motor will run without the SC. The squeal can happen when a pebble or small object gets trapped under the Serp belt on the SC. They often pop right off but sometimes can get trapped in the belt, and it can be very loud. Sounds like a 1990 Crown Vick with worn Power Steering pump and belt.
Touche...but the bulletin says that it can lead to total engine failure if left untouched.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
My magnuson started the rattling sound with about 20k miles on it. I sent it off to superchargers online. They fixed and it ended up needing a complete rebuild. Wish I had just stayed with the factory blower vs this magnuson.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Glad you got it addressed. That job should take NO MORE than two days once they have the parts on hand. I had mine replaced a couple of years ago. I went to my local Cadillac dealer because they were already used to dealing with the LSAs on the CTSV's. My ZL1 was treated with white gloves the entire time and was kept indoors in a service bay.

If you have to fight a dealership to get this warranty work done, don't go back to that dealership. There are dealers everywhere that would have loved to have that business. Why fight the customer--especially one who has done his homework ahead of time?

Good luck.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
How long is the extended warranty? I bought a used 2013 ZL1 back in May of this year. No noises yet but would like to know how long I have. Thanks.
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Here you go...
Attached Images

HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Than you!!
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I had mine done when the TSB first came out. In was lucky enough to be one of a few who got the solid coupler. The ones now they just pack more grease in there to take care of the marble sound.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:51 AM   #11
jay101182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I had mine done when the TSB first came out. In was lucky enough to be one of a few who got the solid coupler. The ones now they just pack more grease in there to take care of the marble sound.
I hope that's wrong...lol. I just got my car back today. It took them forever to get a supercharger due to the recent strike. I assumed I got the solid coupler as well.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Chuck13

My 2013 is in the shop today getting a new supercharger under warranty. Took less than 5 days to get the new parts.

Last edited by Chuck13; 11-22-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
nikon2003

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Hopefully you get a competent tech that gives half a care.

I did mine myself for that very reason.
nikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
Chuck13

Took my car in Wednesday morning was completely done the next day at 3:30 pm. I can't say enough how great Sands Chevy in Phoenix is.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote