Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Threlkeld's SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Cam install misc parts

Can some please tell me what bolts, gaskets, and fluids I'll need to replace during my cam install
Threlkeld's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
You're going to need to replace :

Water pump gaskets
Timing Cover gasket/seal
Camshaft bolts (ARP)
Engine Oil
Coolant

Do you mind telling us your current parts list? Just want to make sure you did your research and aren't missing anything major.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Threlkeld's SS

Thunder racing chromoly pushrods
Pac 1218 springs
Lunati cam This cam is on the single
bolt core and it is 217/228 at .050, .549/.566 on the lift, and it is cut
on a 112 LSA with a 108 intake centerline.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threlkeld's SS View Post
Thunder racing chromoly pushrods
Pac 1218 springs
Lunati cam This cam is on the single
bolt core and it is 217/228 at .050, .549/.566 on the lift, and it is cut
on a 112 LSA with a 108 intake centerline.
Single bolt cam? Did you put this setup together?

I highly recommend that you go with a 3 bolt cam. Single bolt aftermarket cams have been known, and can (not saying it will happen) shear off the cam bolt, because all of the tension of the cam rotation is placed on that single bolt. That's why the 3 bolt design was created. That cam also seems very, very small.

Do you plan on upgrading your oil pump, timing chain, and/or replacing your harmonic balancer?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Threlkeld's SS

I though long and hard about the oil pump and timing chain I even purchased a melling oil pump (sold) but I decided against it because I didn't want to risk removing it and reinstalling it wrong. And as for the timing chain I figure I'll be ok since I'm not install an under drive pulley or anything like that. And with the cam being so mild if figured if the stock cam is ok as a single bolt design then I'll be fine there as well
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
If you're doing pushrods and Springs it would make since to replace the lifters especially if L99. If on a budget you can get away with keeping stock lifters for the time being.

I agree with LS3 SS, single bolt cams are more problematic than a 3 bolt cam.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
Threlkeld's SS

I have a ls3
Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
If you're doing pushrods and Springs it would make since to replace the lifters especially if L99. If on a budget you can get away with keeping stock lifters for the time being.

I agree with LS3 SS, single bolt cams are more problematic than a 3 bolt cam.

Quote:
I though long and hard about the oil pump and timing chain I even purchased a melling oil pump (sold) but I decided against it because I didn't want to risk removing it and reinstalling it wrong. And as for the timing chain I figure I'll be ok since I'm not install an under drive pulley or anything like that. And with the cam being so mild if figured if the stock cam is ok as a single bolt design then I'll be fine there as well
That's understandable if you're on a budget. The Timing chain doesn't have to do so much with the Harmonic Balancer, as it does with extra strength in the links going with a Katech C5R chain. That chain has been proven to withstand any setup at any power level.

As far as the oil pump, I understand you not wanting to install it incorrectly, but what's worse, installing it incorrectly and having zero oil pressure because of a pinched o-ring, or having a stuck relief valve on your stock pump, and having zero oil pressure? lol they both sound like the same thing. The only difference is, you have a bunch of people here on the forums to walk you through the process so you don't install it incorrectly.

I'm not sure if you're going to be pleased with that cam to be honest with you. But if you are dead set on throwing that setup in, then my first post should cover your question.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
wow that's a pretty mild cam. I guarantee you will want something bigger in the future. Please listen to everyone and at least change your oil pump while it is cracked open, there isn't much 2 it.

BTW How many miles are on the car?
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Threlkeld's SS

Well I'm not trying to break any records since this is my dd. And there aren't really many options other than going with a custom grind since I want something with under .600 lift that chops on idle
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshamey View Post
wow that's a pretty mild cam. I guarantee you will want something bigger in the future. Please listen to everyone and at least change your oil pump while it is cracked open, there isn't much 2 it.

BTW How many miles are on the car?
He doesn't need to change his oil pump, plenty of cars run stock pumps cammed without issues. It's not a bad idea, and is a fine suggestion but it does not NEED to be done.

That said, since you are an LS3 I would strongly consider doing a trunion upgrade and using a C5R Timing Chain and LS2 Dampner. Both are affordable options for more safety.

It is a mild cam so you could get away with it being single bolt, but like everyone else said a 3bolt is preferred to help reduce the stress placed on it.

Lastly, make sure you MEASURE and REMEASURE before you do pushrods, do not install the wrong length!!

Good luck.

Last edited by Birm; 01-07-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Everything you need is in here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Quote:
Can some please tell me what bolts, gaskets, and fluids I'll need to replace during my cam install
I know you have the cam components but I will simply break down the entire list if you were to get it from us that it would include if someone were to buy a complete cam install kit.

Lunati Billet custom cam
Lunati dual valve springs
Lunati Chromolly pushrods
GM gasket set
Water pump gasket
Timing cover gasket
Timing cover seal
Crank bolt
3 bolt cam gear (one from a ls2 gto)
3 cam gear bolts (oem or arp)
LS2 chain dampner (ls3 unit has been prone to failure)

Optional items
New oil pump either oem w/ new o-ring or melling high pressure (not high volume) includes o-ring
LS2 timing chain or C5R should they want it
Trunion upgrade

We also ship our cam kits w/ the needed fluids too if someone chooses. really it's just coolant and amsoil coolant booster but some people like to change their oil anytime the motor is opened up so we can send amsoil zrod if they want as well along w/ a wix filter or filter of their choice.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
Threlkeld's SS

Can you pm me prices for a
Single bolt cam bolt
Gaskets and seals
Ls2 chain
Oem oil pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@CPR.com View Post
I know you have the cam components but I will simply break down the entire list if you were to get it from us that it would include if someone were to buy a complete cam install kit.

Lunati Billet custom cam
Lunati dual valve springs
Lunati Chromolly pushrods
GM gasket set
Water pump gasket
Timing cover gasket
Timing cover seal
Crank bolt
3 bolt cam gear (one from a ls2 gto)
3 cam gear bolts (oem or arp)
LS2 chain dampner (ls3 unit has been prone to failure)

Optional items
New oil pump either oem w/ new o-ring or melling high pressure (not high volume) includes o-ring
LS2 timing chain or C5R should they want it
Trunion upgrade

We also ship our cam kits w/ the needed fluids too if someone chooses. really it's just coolant and amsoil coolant booster but some people like to change their oil anytime the motor is opened up so we can send amsoil zrod if they want as well along w/ a wix filter or filter of their choice.