Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
Shadow72

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Mace Cams Video

Hey, I have noticed when looking at the mace cams that there weren't too many videos on how they sound. This is a 2012 v6 Camaro with the MRTv1 axleback with mace cams tuned by overkill. This is only a slow acceleration shifting at about 3,000 rpms since the motor is still in its break in period. I will upload a 0-60 video once the engine is broken in.

Shadow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:55 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Rad.

Regarding the cams, did you do the install? Did you (or your installer) replace the high pressure fuel pump o-ring, piping and bolts? Been looking at doing the install but can't find the part numbers for these pieces (the part numbers for the piping might be on the piping on a sticker but I'll have to take off the manifold to see). Also, what timing chain retainer (part number) did you use?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
Shadow72

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Rad.

Regarding the cams, did you do the install? Did you (or your installer) replace the high pressure fuel pump o-ring, piping and bolts? Been looking at doing the install but can't find the part numbers for these pieces (the part numbers for the piping might be on the piping on a sticker but I'll have to take off the manifold to see). Also, what timing chain retainer (part number) did you use?
Both me and my brother installed the cams. We didn't replace the fuel pump piping or bolts but we did replace the o-ring. We got the o-ring with the gasket set that came with our engine. We didn't use a timing chain retainer. We just made sure we relined everything back up once the new cams were in.

Fuel hose: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e+/+hose,11224
O-Ring: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...et+/+seal,6316

Last edited by Shadow72; 09-16-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Shadow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Sweet, thanks! Never heard of Rock Auto... So I guess you removed the timing cover? Did you use any special tools? I found an engine rebuild kit (EN-46124) but can't find it new, and even with missing parts it's pretty expensive - I'm hoping to use a timing chain retainer and not have to remove the cover and everything that goes along with it.

As for tuning, was Will (Overkill) able to mess with the cam phasers and get the cams to keep making power after redline? MagnumForceGB on here has a thread talking about going past redline (all stock engine expect the cams and valve springs) and was able to keep making power until ~7500 RPM or so; think he said the engine kills the VVT once you're past 7300 RPM for some amount of time; not sure if he was able to tune this out or if it's hard-coded in the ECU.

Sounds like the cams provide ~40 HP at ~6800 RPM as advertised, but with proper tuning you can keep going - some more familiar with these engines (Aussies) are making 70+ HP gains by raising the redline and messing with VVT.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484209
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote