Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #15
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
The clips worked great!
PN 24205103
I am sure the generic from Doorman would be great (and quicker to get)

Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Here is the tool. I just upgraded my SS diff to an Eaton

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=933

-Don
Interested in renting that tool out??? I have a slight leak on one side... I did not use a driver... Probably should have just kept the seals that were in the diff since I didn't have an install tool.

You can bet I will when it is time to replace it.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
Old 11-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #17
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Here is the tool. I just upgraded my SS diff to an Eaton

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=933

-Don
Don what are the specs on the tool? diameter of inner lip and outer lip. ZL1 vs SS I would assume the seals are a different size.

I see they can be had for under $25... kick myself for not having one. Being unprepared does not pay!

Last edited by dentnshell; 11-19-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 AM   #18
Roger Stattel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1ss
I am currently going through the swap, spent all night under it and realized it's not a straight swap. Has anyone done a manual ss to an auto zl1 diff, I got the drive shaft to line up with the diff but it's really tight, too tight I'm my opinion. My buddy recommends that I cut it an inch based off of our measurements. Any feedback from someone who has done it. And no u can't use the front of one to the back of the other like some forums say. Splines don't match.
Thanks guys!
Roger Stattel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #19
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Stattel View Post
I am currently going through the swap, spent all night under it and realized it's not a straight swap. Has anyone done a manual ss to an auto zl1 diff, I got the drive shaft to line up with the diff but it's really tight, too tight I'm my opinion. My buddy recommends that I cut it an inch based off of our measurements. Any feedback from someone who has done it. And no u can't use the front of one to the back of the other like some forums say. Splines don't match.
Thanks guys!
The DS length has nothing to do with the zl1 diff you choose (Auto 3.23 vs manual 3.73). The diff is dimensionally exact for both of these diffs. It's the tranny end where the dimensions change. So you can take a manual trans and add either the 3.23 or 3.73 ZL1 diff and you still use the driveshaft made for the manual. If you have a auto trans, you need a zl1 auto driveshaft.

And as you said....and I'll put this in capital letters to emphasize the point and put it to bed once and for all...YOU CANNOT USE THE FRONT HALF OF A SS DRIVESHAFT WITH THE REAR HALF OF THE ZL1. THEY ARE DIFFERENT SIZES AND THE SPLINES DONT FIT. There is a lot of bad info out on the Internet on this, including here on this forum. The sad part is that it's people like the Driveshaftshop saying this. They should know better.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #20
dentnshell

Take a look at the instructions... I have not done the manual swap, but would be really confident in the instructions and the parts needed. The strength of the propshaft and bolt sizes are a big reason you would want to swap. Use the part numbers listed and compare them to part numbers of your parts and parts off of the donor car.
The kit calls for a new:
Propshaft -20931145
and
Transmission Flange - 22960154

Don't forget all of the supporting bolts.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #21
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
The clips worked great!
PN 24205103
I am sure the generic from Doorman would be great (and quicker to get)

Do you just have the little rubber plugs that go in there like I do?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #22
dentnshell

The plugs that were identified with the instructions came as aluminum bullets. The inside of that fitting has a small o-ring.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
Roger Stattel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
The DS length has nothing to do with the zl1 diff you choose (Auto 3.23 vs manual 3.73). The diff is dimensionally exact for both of these diffs. It's the tranny end where the dimensions change. So you can take a manual trans and add either the 3.23 or 3.73 ZL1 diff and you still use the driveshaft made for the manual. If you have a auto trans, you need a zl1 auto driveshaft.

And as you said....and I'll put this in capital letters to emphasize the point and put it to bed once and for all...YOU CANNOT USE THE FRONT HALF OF A SS DRIVESHAFT WITH THE REAR HALF OF THE ZL1. THEY ARE DIFFERENT SIZES AND THE SPLINES DONT FIT. There is a lot of bad info out on the Internet on this, including here on this forum. The sad part is that it's people like the Driveshaftshop saying this. They should know better.
Well I agree with what your saying, but there's 2 factors that are also in play, first I would like to use the zl1 shaft cause It is beefier, also the input shaft on the diff is an inch longer(extend an inch further forward) vs the SS diff, which throws things off a bit.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #24
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Stattel View Post
Well I agree with what your saying, but there's 2 factors that are also in play, first I would like to use the zl1 shaft cause It is beefier, also the input shaft on the diff is an inch longer(extend an inch further forward) vs the SS diff, which throws things off a bit.
Yes. But the ZL1 driveshaft takes this into account. I just put the ZL1 shaft on my swap. Fit perfect.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #25
Roger Stattel

Were you a manual ss to a zl1 diff? I used both pieces of the zl1 shaft and it fits, it's just really tight in there and the ss shaft coming out was a bit looser.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post

im very sorry about this, i was told this was true over and over several times from people here on the board. we will not say it anymore, sorry
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #27
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
im very sorry about this, i was told this was true over and over several times from people here on the board. we will not say it anymore, sorry
No worries. I think your guy's reputation is good and speaks for itself. But I just wanted to clear this up once and for all for everyone. As I pieced this ZL1 swap together, it got a bit frustrating because of all the unknowns. Which is why I started this thread!
Old 11-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #28
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
okay kinda random question but has anyone either swap the gears in the ZL1 Diff? like to 3.91
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote