Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #141
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
It wouldn't be an RX then... They just need to refine it and make it work better
They're working on it. See links above.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #142
jasperdog

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Hey everyone,

This is my first post but I just wanted to say I've been following Camaro5 for quite a while.

I think a race between a V6 Camaro and a RX-8 would be very close and exciting to watch. It's definitely a no-brainer that the SS would destroy the RX-8 in a heartbeat. But we're also looking at a new Camaro vs. the aging Mazda.

I own a RX-8 and love the car very much. There's a lot that's pretty cool about it. I love the interior. I love the handling. It's got the most wonderful sound for an engine other than my love of a growling V8, I can't deny that pleasure. But it's not for everyone, and I think a lot of RX-8 owners understand that it's an under appreciated car.

However, it's gas mileage is not the greatest. I'm getting low 20's and I use it for a daily driver about 40 miles a day. It's low end torque is hard to get used to and yes, I know it's not the fastest car in the world. But it's still an amazing car to drive.

I'm getting a new car in the next year and I'm 99% percent sure of the Camaro. I've gotten to test drive the V6 model and I know I'll spend the extra ching and get the SS instead. It looks amazing, it handles actually very well. The new interior is great. It may not be a BMW interior but it's still really nice. Truck space sucks and so does the back seat but it's just me so who cares?!

All I'm saying is that the RX-8 was a great car and still is. It's misunderstood, but nevertheless something that everyone should check out once. It needs to be replaced so it can keep up with the new generation of cars out there (Camaro, Mustang, Genesis Coupe, 370Z, etc.), but I have faith that Mazda will do that. Just it may be a while. Love them both.
jasperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #143
RX8-Ghost

Drives: 2009 RX-8 SP
Reviving a Quasi-Dead Thread

The numbers have been posted so I'm not going to rehash them, rather I'm going address the "bond" between man and machine.

I was in the market for buying a new car till two weeks ago. I've always been a Chevy patron. My first car was a 91 3.1L Lumina (I will always love that boat) followed by a 99 3.1L Malibu LS. I am the practical one of my friends; buying the 4-door family sedans over the 2-door sports coupes. However, now that I've moved away for a new job, I decided to drop the practicality and satisfy my inner child.

I've been looking at the Camaro for a long long long time. Ever since 16 I knew I wanted a Camaro at some point in my life. To me, the camaro is the second best car to epitomize the American sports car (first being the 70 Chevelle SS).

However, that being said I bought a 2009 RX-8 Sports Package. Why? Here were my considerations in the process.

1.) The Camaro is new and severely backlogged. The dealerships told me I'd be waiting 7 to 9 months if I ordered one today.
2.) The Camaro would have to be a SS model. To put a V6 in that car is a disgrace to the name Camaro. Its the same philosophy as putting a piston engine in a RX-8.
3.) Everyone and their mother will have a Camaro by 2012 (if GM stays afloat that long) due to the hype caused by the success of Transformers and the hype and 30-38k price tag.
4.) I was disappointed in Chevy because I thought one reason behind taking the Camaro off the market was to redesign it and elevate it to the 42-50k class of vehicles.
5.) As a mechanical engineer the Wankel Engine (Rotary Engine) is something to admire for its ingenuity.
6.) The RX-8 performance meets my needs. I do not race my vehicles. So for the daily commute and weekend drives the RX-8 satisfies.

Both cars are sexy but in a different way. The RX-8 reminds me of the quiet girl in the back of the class with glasses that most people over look. Let her warm up to you and you'll begin to appreciate her subtle beauty and small surprises. The Camaro is the girl next door that plays football with the guys, but when she dresses up she's absolutely stunning. You always know what to expect and she's always fun to be around. The RX-8 needs to be pampered and caressed, while the Camaro will still love you even if you neglect her from time to time - shame on you if you do though.

Personally, I like the Lisa Loebs/Claire Danes of the world and I think the RX-8 is that type of personality. The new Camaro would be more like the Marissa Millers/Stacy Keiblers.

Lastly, to tie this post back to the original topic (sorry for going way out there) I don't think the V6 Camaro should be compared to the RX-8. The true Camaro, in my opinion, is the V8 and only the V8. There is no debate that the SS is beyond the RX-8 in performance.

P.S.

I apologize to any females who took offense to comparing cars to women.

P.S.S

If you do buy a Camaro, please get a V8. Let the engine live up to the name Camaro.

Last edited by RX8-Ghost; 06-25-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Clarify a rambling sentece, I know there's a bunch.
RX8-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #144
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
You really think chevy should have made the camaro into a $50,000 car? You really think that would be a good idea?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #145
RX8-Ghost

Drives: 2009 RX-8 SP
Good idea? Maybe. Maybe not.

But I will be honest, I'm an elitist and at its current price range, the Camaro is readily accessible to most Americans - albeit so is the RX-8 but the rotary is a deterrent. I may be mistaken, but I thought one of Chevrolet's listed reasons for taking the Camaro off the market back in 2002 was that they were dissatisfied with the current social and economic status of the 4th generation.

One proponent of "a good idea" is that at a 42k-50k price bracket it is still affordable by a large number of Camaro enthusiasts, but too pricey for people who buy into the "flavor of the week" and really have no sense of the car's history and legacy. In short, I wanted the 2010 Camaro to avoid the group of people who claim, "I bought the car because it looked cool in the Transformers movie," and that may make me a jerk, but I can live with that.

Last edited by RX8-Ghost; 06-25-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: sentence structure
RX8-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #146
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX8-Ghost View Post
But I will be honest, I'm an elitist.
Well, it's good that you're honest with yourself and us.

Quote:
I may be mistaken, but I thought one of Chevrolet's listed reasons for taking the Camaro off the market back in 2002 was that they were dissatisfied with the current social and economic status of the 4th generation.
I thought it was because the car was on an ancient plaform, wasn't selling, wasn't making profit, and was dragging down the company's CAFE numbers.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #147
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
But the camaro IS and always has been, a cheap sports car. That IS it's legacy. Fast and cheap. It sounds like you should think about being a Corvette enthusiast, not a Camaro enthusiast. Chevy has one thing on it's mind right now, SELL CARS. And thats it.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #148
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
But the camaro IS and always has been, a cheap sports car. That IS it's legacy. Fast and cheap. It sounds like you should think about being a Corvette enthusiast, not a Camaro enthusiast. Chevy has one thing on it's mind right now, SELL CARS. And thats it.
Amen, that's the epitome of the Camaro. A poor man's Corvette so to speak.

Camaro does not equal Corvette in performance or price and never will.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote