Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
DirkC

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary Camaro
Tramlining in Pirelli P-Zeros

Hi All,
Long time lurker, first time poster here...

I was hoping to get some advice on tires. I've got the Pirelli P-Zero tires (245/45 ZR20 on front & 275/40 ZR20 on the rear) on my 2012 45th anniversary Camaro and I'm having some steering issues.

The car seems to be steering all over the road lately. I took it to the dealer and they looked it over (so they said), found nothing wrong, and gave me a Chevy bulletin about 'tramlining', which is a new concept to me. I did a search here and found some others saying they had tramlining on their Pirellis and I'm wondering if this is a common thing for these tires? I've only got 21k mileage on the tires, is this what I should expect at this mileage?

I'm looking at possibly getting an alternative tire and I'm looking for suggestions. I don't race the car and don't want to put expensive performance tires on it; I'm just looking for something that allows for better steering and a fair amount of durability. Can anyone suggest such a tire?

Thanks much in advance!

-Dirk
DirkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I think its common to most cars and tires . Some are just worse than others . I know I get it with the BF Goodrich tires.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
If your after durability then the PZeros are not gonna last, there a soft summer tire. Most performance summer tires will have low mileage life expectancy.

I'll let others chime in on what they have found that works well for them.

I still think the PZeros are a decent tire, but for me the Goodyear F1's are worth the extra few bucks, but again, they wont last so long. Soft performance tires.

Those are the only two tires I have experience with on the fifth gen. Other than Mickey Thompson Drag Radials.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Larry_551
Larry_551

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Convertible
Greetings,

Never had a problem with tramlining, but my Pirellis tires wore out sooner than I expected, and sucked in wet weather even when new.

When the rears wore out (long before the fronts) I junked all 4 and put a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on.

I immediately noticed a big difference in grip in the wet and no loss of traction when dry. I can recommend Continentals with no reservation.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Old 06-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
EZurcher

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Having narrower rims in the front and wider in the back can cause the car to wander based on road surfaces. Mine does it too.
EZurcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
Tramlining in Pirelli P-Zeros

Pirelli's were junk for our cars. Buy something different. I got 20k miles out of mine and they were bald, rode rough, and wouldn't stay balanced. For daily driving I have my stock wheels mounted with Nitto Motivo's as a lot of others on the forum do and I absolutely love them and they were only right at $1,000 for the set installed from discount tire. Also the Nitto's have an estimated 60k mile tread life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gayton81; 06-17-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Gayton81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
My car does this allot. Tends to want to go with the road surface. Iv'e never experience that in any car before. Iv'e also never driven another car that had independent rear suspension before this car. Iv'e been thinking it was due to that.... Am i wrong?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I have the Goodyear F1 and love them
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
A decent alignment shop can tune the wandering out, but it will come with a slight cost in wear. I don't know the terminology all that well, but I believe they toe them in a hair more than spec. The tires fighting each other, and we're talking a VERY tiny amount, keeps them centered. This is also a common fix for oversized offroad tires like you would find on a lifted truck or Jeep.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The Pirellis are pretty much shot at about 16K miles. I stretched mine to about 22k but didn't do any tracking at that point. Just cruising. I replaced them with Mickey Thompson Sport Comps and love them so far. Much better traction and supposedly better wear. They're like $200 a piece at Summit Racing.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
The orange one

Drives: 2010 ss camaro Iom ls3 m6
The stock Pirelli's are known for getting flat spots and cupping especially when cold.I would look into the Goodyear Eagle sports.A very good rated tire with many positive reviews. I installed the wider 255 /45 r20 in front.
The orange one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
I went with general tire gmax as-03's and have been very happy with them. I DD my 2010 SS through Illinois summers and winters. The Pirellis lasted all of about 11k miles and were downright dangerous during the winter (yes, I know they are summer tires). The Gmax keep the car drive-able year round with only a minor trade off in traction. I wouldn't expect them to be great for racing, but they are the best solution I've found for my needs. I think my first set lasted 20k or maybe 25k. Just put the second set on late last year. Tracking will always be an issue like someone said above, but it definitely didn't get any worse when I switched to Gmax.

mattSS
Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Does it do this with the stock Pirellis? I have an LS3/RS and don't really notice that. I'll be upgrading my rims with 305 in the back and 285 (BFgoodrich all season high performance so would it be noticeable with the new setup?)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Had this issue on the wife's car. We replaced the tires and got the alignment checked and it's like driving a new car again
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote