Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #15
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My car has never been driven by anyone other than a gm tech. it has never been hit, or hit anything. the GM dealer is stumped, and my extended warranty is up in a month. It seems they are slow playing getting the car back in since once the GMPP warranty expires the problem is mine.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
slickdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Since we're guessing at this point, have you checked the motor mounts?

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Since we're guessing at this point, have you checked the motor mounts?
He has stated that the steering wheel is shaking.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #18
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It's going to the GM dealer on Monday. We don't seem to have a GM rep that will come to the dealership to provide any technical assistance. We doesn't seem to have any mechanics anymore. They work on piece work, so if they can get a 3 hour job done in 2 hours they make more. This means no one is to inclined to work on straight time. To troubleshoot a problem. Unfortunately we don't have lemon laws in Canada. This car has made at least 10 visits over 3 years. If anyone has a suggestion, or connection at GM I would greatly appreciate it.
slickdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
He has stated that the steering wheel is shaking.
Yes, and he also stated it was prevalent when he romped on it in 6th, and that they have replaced pretty much everything else under the sun already. Just thinking outside the box for something that might cause issues that's in the area. Especially since it gave issues when he nailed it in 6th gear. Motor mounts sound possible to me.

Past Rides-
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #20
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdave View Post
It's going to the GM dealer on Monday. We don't seem to have a GM rep that will come to the dealership to provide any technical assistance. We doesn't seem to have any mechanics anymore. They work on piece work, so if they can get a 3 hour job done in 2 hours they make more. This means no one is to inclined to work on straight time. To troubleshoot a problem. Unfortunately we don't have lemon laws in Canada. This car has made at least 10 visits over 3 years. If anyone has a suggestion, or connection at GM I would greatly appreciate it.
I don’t know your background and your technical ability to verify the work that has been done correctly so the assumption will have to be it has been. With that said there is nothing in the drivetrain that is going to shake the steering wheel as it’s isolated and not connected. You have said all upper lower arms have been replaced so I am going to assume whom did that work could do basic suspension isolation to test for any failed part. Wheel bearings, rotors, callipers all check out, and you can verify all wheels and tires are good.

That leaves just the steering rack which is electric. I guess in theory it could be getting bad pulses but in all the years on this forum you would be the first to have such a problem. If I had to guess in the long list of things you said have been done they either weren’t done, or done incorrectly.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #21
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
With that said there is nothing in the drivetrain that is going to shake the steering wheel as it’s isolated and not connected.
Go back and read the first post. He didn't say it was shaking. He said it was a vibration he could feel in the steering wheel. He could also see it in a cell phone mount on the windshield.

Whatevs. I'm out. Good luck, OP!

Past Rides-
Old 05-12-2019, 12:58 AM   #22
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Go back and read the first post. He didn't say it was shaking. He said it was a vibration he could feel in the steering wheel. He could also see it in a cell phone mount on the windshield.

Whatevs. I'm out. Good luck, OP!
Anything in the suspension/wheel that causes a vibration in the steering wheel will be felt in the car as it progresses, including his cellphone mounted, anything in the drivetrain will also progressively shake the entire car, but not the steering wheel.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #23
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Back when I had my '04 GTO I had to wire brush the contact surface on the front hubs and the surface on the front wheels each time I had the wheels off. If I did not I would get a vibration in the steering wheel that began around 45 increased with speed. Good luck!
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #24
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
I had this issue .vibration in steering wheel and dash ... but it would get really violent the faster i went.. felt like it was coming from the front tires.. so i changed the tires .. was a little better. but it was still there at and above 50mph..all wheels balanced by 2 different shops..and was still there. it was driving me crazy .i gave up and was just going to live with it.but i kind of figured one of the rims was out of round or something.... bought new rims and tires .. poof ...vibrations gone...

xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote