Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #85
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
I realize this isn't exactly the same comparisons as raised in this thread, but I've been back and forth between Vipers and ZL1s twice now! I've owned four Vipers, but had a red 2006 coupe with a Paxton and numerous other goodies that I sold and bought a red ZL1. The ZL1 fit my family lifestyle better for sure, and while I modded it to 600whp, I was honestly missing the exclusivity and driving style.

Then sold for this ZL1 that I had for about 6 months.

Then I sold it for this 08 coupe that I had painted BMW Fire Orange.

Then my wife was laid off from work, so I sold it and picked up another ZL1, but this time in white!

Now, I'm about to buy another Viper again The Viper really is an awesome driving experience. It requires quite a few compromises that most other cars do not require, but if you can get past them, it's really one of the most rewarding ownership experiences you will have for the money!
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #86
vcbxcvbh

Drives: ford
I second the Viper. Camaros and Corvettes are both everywhere. You want something that stands out? I say Viper.
vcbxcvbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #87
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Just correcting your era man. No need to get cynical.
I do agree with you how snobby GTR owners are though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Hey, I resent that. I am now a proud owner of a 15 GTR. I kid, I kid. Yea, I've been trolling the net, seems MOST people ride the GTR as the holy grail. When, in reality, very few of those people have never even owned anything remotely close to a GTR. But, I will say this, I do have a thread on here somewhere regarding my opinion on it.

Now that I had my break in inspection done, I've been on the pedal quite a bit and the more I get seat time in, the more it separates itself from the Zl1. And my Zl1 was around 640 hp too. But, I digress. I love the Viper actually. Never drove one, but wouldn't mind owning one for a year to play around with.

I personally don't look at times and crap like that as I'll never be able to even get close to the ability of driving a car like the pro's do. I just enjoy them for what they are.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #88
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Gotta say though that I have yet to pass another ZL1 on the street either. At least around here, the ZL1s are beyond scarce, just like the Viper.
Agreed on that. I had my Zl1 for about 9 months and only saw 2 others out and about. Def rare to see a Zl1 out.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #89
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
The really impressive thing about the GTR is that nearly anyone can make consistent launches, 1/4 mile times, and lap times; including those whose skill is actually less than their own estimation.
So the above was stated......and I have to agree unfortunately. I instructed a brand new driver in a 2015 at Laguna last weekend, by the end of his 1st day he was able to put down 1:41 times...That is 2 seconds faster that I have ever been in the camaro (with 1300+ laps). Also as stated above, in my zip code there are lots of ZL1's, no vipers that I have seen and no GTR's......Buy the Viper, but be aware the GTR will probably chew you up and spit you out, in the hands of a good driver.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #90
WILD67

Drives: '12 ZL1 / '67 RS
As much as I love my '12 ZL1 I'm likely going to pull the trigger tmrw and trade it for a '14 Viper. Getting $45k for my car on trade, factor in 5% tax savings in the trade in value and that makes it $47.3k. The viper had a MSRP of $143k and picking it up for $101k. Note, these are cdn dollars and the exchange rate today was 1 CAD = .77 USD.... To help put things into perspective for prospective buyers that may want to look north of the border.
WILD67 is offline   Reply With Quote