Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #15
bmcquill

Drives: 2014 1LS
Justice Pete has a good alignment thread on here. He said decreasing negative camber in the rear also helps, in addition to increasing it in the front. I had an alignment done according to his specs last summer and I personally didn't notice much of a difference on the autocross course, but that was with a staggered setup and stock sway bars... might be noticeable with square tires and sways.

Last edited by bmcquill; 01-17-2020 at 01:50 PM.
bmcquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
You won't be able to fix it with tire pressure. That is just used to fine tune track/driving conditions. To get good handling you will need a 1le front bar. The 1le bar is plenty stiff to keep your body roll to a minimum.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #17
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
It sure can get kind of confusing with the adjustable ones. For me, at least. lol! Right now, I basically have a 2 mm bias due to the rear bar being on the third setting. I'm currently running square setup with stock rims and tires.

If 5 mm or so is the magic number for almost perfect balance, then all I have to do is gain a mere 2 mm somewhere. Of course, I realize it's more than just pure numbers and there is a lot more at play here.

I thought about varying the front to rear tire pressures. It seems from what I've read about the subject in the autocross forums, increasing the front tire pressure relative to the rear will decrease understeer and provide more grip for the front end.

However, I don't know what tire pressures to begin at to notice a difference in handling. 28 psi front vs 35 psi rear? 32 psi front vs 35 psi rear? Ultimately, I guess I will have to experiment to see what the car likes best.
Best I can tell you really only have about 1mm difference based on Hotchkiss data. Tire psi will only help in minor fine tuning. For less understeer you increase the rear psi to be more then the front. Mor front psi can help with turn in.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #18
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
You won't be able to fix it with tire pressure. That is just used to fine tune track/driving conditions. To get good handling you will need a 1le front bar. The 1le bar is plenty stiff to keep your body roll to a minimum.
I thought the 27mm 1LE front bar was solid. If it is, wouldn't that be equivalent to a 32mm hollow bar like the Hotchkis?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #19
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Best I can tell you really only have about 1mm difference based on Hotchkiss data. Tire psi will only help in minor fine tuning. For less understeer you increase the rear psi to be more then the front. Mor front psi can help with turn in.
Thanks. Some sites online say to increase it, then others say to decrease it for less understeer. It can get very confusing. Since it's basically free, I'll try the increased rear tire pressure over the front to see if that helps any.

Ultimately though, I know I will have to eventually replace the big Hotchkis front bar with a smaller bar to regain that front to rear sway bar balance Justice Pete talked about.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
I thought the 27mm 1LE front bar was solid. If it is, wouldn't that be equivalent to a 32mm hollow bar like the Hotchkis?
Best I can tell, again Hotchkiss data, the front 32 mm hollow is like a 29 solid
Old 01-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #21
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Thanks. Some sites online say to increase it, then others say to decrease it for less understeer. It can get very confusing. Since it's basically free, I'll try the increased rear tire pressure over the front to see if that helps any.

Ultimately though, I know I will have to eventually replace the big Hotchkis front bar with a smaller bar to regain that front to rear sway bar balance Justice Pete talked about.