Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #29
Gen5_AK

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireraptor99 View Post
Sooo
I bit the bullet and just ended up buying the big ass sony unit. This is for documentation purposes because I seem to be the only person online that has put a 10” screen in a Camaro LOL. Pictures attached

This is with the iDatalink maestro dash kit btw, it gets completely hidden by the screen. The only functionality that the head unit can’t do is the hazards, so I basically gotta reach over the screen to hit the button. I don’t use the hazards enough for it to be an issue though.
I will also say the screen sticks out more than my liking, but cant do anything about that. I just wish it was more flush, but I love the big screen. Can’t have everything lol

Attachment 1110679

Attachment 1110680
Would you mind providing what you purchased to make this work? I'm curious about what I would need for this to go into my 2011. The touchscreen is the only thing my car doesn't have and wouldn't mind a nicer stereo.

I'm aso wondering how much this sticks out? Mine is a manual. I'm not sure how much taller/shorter the shifter is.
Gen5_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:07 PM   #30
fireraptor99

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5_AK View Post
Would you mind providing what you purchased to make this work? I'm curious about what I would need for this to go into my 2011. The touchscreen is the only thing my car doesn't have and wouldn't mind a nicer stereo.

I'm aso wondering how much this sticks out? Mine is a manual. I'm not sure how much taller/shorter the shifter is.
The only things I bought were the 9500es unit, the iDatalink CAM1 dash kit, and the maestro module. The CAM1 kit is basically to replace the default dash, and has no function because the screen blocks it (I have to reach over for hazards, but everything else is handled by the unit)

The screen itself sticks out around 2 inches I would say. It does block the shifter from being held from the top, so I don’t know how it would work with a manual. I switched to a Hurst pistol grip shifter so I could hold it vertically on my automatic.
fireraptor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:12 PM   #31
Gen5_AK

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireraptor99 View Post
The only things I bought were the 9500es unit, the iDatalink CAM1 dash kit, and the maestro module. The CAM1 kit is basically to replace the default dash, and has no function because the screen blocks it (I have to reach over for hazards, but everything else is handled by the unit)

The screen itself sticks out around 2 inches I would say. It does block the shifter from being held from the top, so I don’t know how it would work with a manual. I switched to a Hurst pistol grip shifter so I could hold it vertically on my automatic.

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Gen5_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #32
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Hey Fireraptor, have you had any issues with tethering your phone through the USB C connection? Every time I plug my phone into the provided wire connected to the USB C on the back of the head unit, the stereo says no USB detected.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:21 PM   #33
CorrectOpinionMan

Drives: Future 2SS owner
Hey fireraptor, how are you liking the setup? I really want a floating 9+" idatalink display to use with maestro and this seems like the best option. Does everything work well, like the heated seats, steering wheel controls, and HUD?

My only concern is that I have a manual 2011, so I definitely wanna make sure there's enough space there for shifting into 1st haha
CorrectOpinionMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #34
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
This is the biggest.
Who is this unit made by and how reliable have it's been.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:01 PM   #35
fireraptor99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Hey Fireraptor, have you had any issues with tethering your phone through the USB C connection? Every time I plug my phone into the provided wire connected to the USB C on the back of the head unit, the stereo says no USB detected.
Sorry, I haven’t used any of the wired connections, my b
Old 10-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #36
fireraptor99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrectOpinionMan View Post
Hey fireraptor, how are you liking the setup? I really want a floating 9+" idatalink display to use with maestro and this seems like the best option. Does everything work well, like the heated seats, steering wheel controls, and HUD?

My only concern is that I have a manual 2011, so I definitely wanna make sure there's enough space there for shifting into 1st haha
Yessir, heated seats, steering wheel controls and HUD all work pretty much flawlessly.

If you really wanna get into the nitty gritty, the mute button on the steering doesn’t work for me, but my head unit has a dedicated one anyways so that wasn’t a problem. I think this was an oversight I made when I programmed the Maestro unit tbh

Another new thing was with the OS in my head unit, audio volume levels between music, phone calls, voice assistants, and system sounds are all handled separately, so for example when I trigger Siri from carplay, I have a small window of when Siri is speaking to adjust the voice assistant volume; once she stops talking, if I had music playing, it will go back to my previously set “music” volume. Because of this it’s possible to have Siri really quiet and your music really loud, and it initially drove me insane before I figured it out.

The HUD won’t show song titles anymore if I play from a device, but it will still show radio stations. To add on to my previous point, whenever there is a change in audio “source” (music to siri to phone call), the new source is indicated in the HUD where song title would be, as in “Apple Carplay” will pop up when it is started and then disappear after several seconds. I did face a bug where it would not go away and I couldn’t see my speed, and I had to restart the head unit. Not sure if this was a Maestro issue or my head unit, but it hasn’t happened since.

Some car system settings are also lost after shifting to the Maestro, for example, the ability to set a default radio volume on startup (this was the only one I really miss).

The door open/seatbelt chime is different, but I wasn’t too bothered by it

As for having enough space for your shifter, I would recommend the PAC or the Metra dash instead of the CAM1, since they have the head unit slot further up. The hole is more recessed though, so I don’t know if the screen would sit properly.
Good luck!

Last edited by fireraptor99; 10-30-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:28 PM   #37
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Who is this unit made by and how reliable have it's been.
Digital Octopus.
I do not know,some chinese crap radio ?
chevy pilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, carplay, radio, sony, stereo