Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Is it just me or is this the dumbest feature ever

So, just learned the hard way.

Driving home for several kilometers in rainy weather, I reached close to home on the hwy. and got to a point where it wasn't raining and the roads were dry. So, I punched it to pass some guy who was driving that sporty Mitsubishi, and he decided to show me how fast his car was (not).

I punched it a bit more to pass and change lanes, then drove a few more kilometers at a reduced speed, and got off the ramp, turned corner and...

Stabilitrack indicator on and DIC says "Engine is running with Reduced Power".

F***ing car practically loses 90% power, I could barely drive home. Thought I broke something.

I get home parked the SS and sit for 5min. re-start go for a drive all is good.

Some fancy Traction Control garbage that strands you in the middle of the road because it thinks it should tell you how to drive. Dumbest thing I've every experienced in a vehicle.

Is it just me or is this the dumbest feature ever?

Is there a way to turn this dummy feature off? Or just drive with all TC's turned off.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Reduced power is supposed to be a very temporary condition when launching or wheel spin is detected. Something is effed up with your system. You should get that checked.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
tanur420

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Push and hold tc for seconds.to turn it all off. That's how I always drive
tanur420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Reduced power means Something is wrong. The reason it reset it because it wasn't seeing the condition anymore. Get the car checked out by your tuner. Data log etc.. This is like a limp mode to Try and keep you from messing up the car more. This has nothing to do with traction control or launching.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Reduced power means Something is wrong. The reason it reset it because it wasn't seeing the condition anymore. Get the car checked out by your tuner. Data log etc.. This is like a limp mode to Try and keep you from messing up the car more. This has nothing to do with traction control or launching.
^^ This. My statement above was incorrect. Here is what my manual says:

Code:

ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED
This message displays when the vehicle's engine power is reduced. Reduced engine power can affect the vehicle's ability to accelerate. If this message is on, but there is no reduction in performance, proceed to your destination. The performance may be reduced the next time the vehicle is driven. The vehicle may be driven at a reduced speed while this message is on, but maximum acceleration
and speed may be reduced.
Anytime this message stays on, the vehicle should be taken to your dealer for service as soon as
possible.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Reduced power is supposed to be a very temporary condition when launching or wheel spin is detected. Something is effed up with your system. You should get that checked.
Yes. It was temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanur420 View Post
Push and hold tc for seconds.to turn it all off. That's how I always drive
Previously always drove with it off. Then decided to try out TC / Stabillitrak and guess what? I won't be using that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
^^ This. My statement above was incorrect. Here is what my manual says:

Code:

ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED
This message displays when the vehicle's engine power is reduced. Reduced engine power can affect the vehicle's ability to accelerate. If this message is on, but there is no reduction in performance, proceed to your destination. The performance may be reduced the next time the vehicle is driven. The vehicle may be driven at a reduced speed while this message is on, but maximum acceleration
and speed may be reduced.
Anytime this message stays on, the vehicle should be taken to your dealer for service as soon as
possible.
The message is no longer there, basically disappeared once I let it sit for a moment. I basically limped along for a bit, then stopped for a moment, restarted, message gone, vehicle back to normal.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Similar thread I've seen

Condition:
Some customers may comment on an intermittent MIL/SES light Illuminated with a message center or an indicator that displays Reduced Engine Power. DTC P2138 - Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation may be set. The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a predetermined value for more than 2 seconds. Refer to DTC P2138 in SI for further diagnostics.

Cause:
On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area and if the kick panel is not sealed properly, water enters and causes a short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

"P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" was the problem

Correction:
Important: Do Not replace the accelerator pedal assembly.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Similar thread I've seen

Condition:
Some customers may comment on an intermittent MIL/SES light Illuminated with a message center or an indicator that displays Reduced Engine Power. DTC P2138 - Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation may be set. The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a predetermined value for more than 2 seconds. Refer to DTC P2138 in SI for further diagnostics.

Cause:
On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area and if the kick panel is not sealed properly, water enters and causes a short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

"P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" was the problem

Correction:
Important: Do Not replace the accelerator pedal assembly.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary.
I think you may be on to something here. Most of the information I'm finding is related to rainy conditions as well.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Yeah or your car is lean or bad Map sensor, tune etc.... it could be a ton of things. Better to have it checked out. It's not the t/c and if it's only seeing the problem in a high rpm as soon as you drive normal it may stop seeing it. You prob could have pulled over and turned you car off and back on and it would have went away .
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Midlife Crisis

Drives: 2LT/RS
Calbert check your throttle body wiring connection. This used to happen to my 2007 Tahoe after talking to other people with the same problem found out the TB wiring connectioin was shorting out.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Calbert check your throttle body wiring connection. This used to happen to my 2007 Tahoe after talking to other people with the same problem found out the TB wiring connectioin was shorting out.
I was looking around the engine bay today, and noticed there is alot of dirty on stuff, which means water was definately getting in there. So, I may need to wrap some of the wiring to keep water / moisture off of things.

Just drove it today, all is fine did a few fast starts too got RPM up to about 5k, no issues.

Definitely, something to do with water / moisture.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I was looking around the engine bay today, and noticed there is alot of dirty on stuff, which means water was definately getting in there. So, I may need to wrap some of the wiring to keep water / moisture off of things.

Just drove it today, all is fine did a few fast starts too got RPM up to about 5k, no issues.

Definitely, something to do with water / moisture.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote