Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
So, because the gas tank is behind the rear axle is a design flaw? Uhhhhoh, better recall all the cars with tanks behind the rear axle that have been built since the model-T.
This
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Considering my brother went through 3 new grand Cherokees, all of them with engine problems, and an aunt who had to deal with the dreaded oil sludge problem in the 2.7 V6, I think I can call their cars crap.
Funny, my grand Prix, My parents regal and Lumina, my Lumina, and even my brothers CTS have had transmission issues. My brother's CTS has went through severe sunroof and trunk leaks, having to have electronics replaced on the interior, coil issues with the 3.6 DI in it, suspension clunks in the front end, and now the AWD, ABS, backup sensors have mysteriously quit working and multiple dealers have been no help at ALL. my Grand Prix was a similar pile, fuel pump, AC, interior LITERALLY fell apart in my hands, and by now is GM designing the windows in their cars so they just don't all of a sudden fall off track? i had that issue in 3 of my GM vehicles so far. Just throwing that out there. I will admit with the exception of the CTS, all of these were older with transmissions/enginge no longer in GM vehicles, sounds the same with you depending on the year of GCs, pre 11 with the 6 would have been the 3.7, which honestly I have not hear any majors issues with and seems to be a good engine, same with the 4.0 I6. V8 could have been the 4.7 or 5.7 which again would be a pretty rare occurance. the 2.7 has been dead for years now.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Funny, my grand Prix, My parents regal and Lumina, my Lumina, and even my brothers CTS have had transmission issues. My brother's CTS has went through severe sunroof and trunk leaks, having to have electronics replaced on the interior, coil issues with the 3.6 DI in it, suspension clunks in the front end, and now the AWD, ABS, backup sensors have mysteriously quit working and multiple dealers have been no help at ALL. my Grand Prix was a similar pile, fuel pump, AC, interior LITERALLY fell apart in my hands, and by now is GM designing the windows in their cars so they just don't all of a sudden fall off track? i had that issue in 3 of my GM vehicles so far. Just throwing that out there.
Okay good for you. My family has been buying GM vehicles since the '60s and we have never had any major failures or problems. Hence why I own 2 GM vehicles now. If you love Chrysler so much then go preach about their greatness on a Chrysler forum. Btw all 3 GCs had the 5.7 L gimmick hemi, and the 2.7 was used until 2010, so it is by no means an old engine.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
Stew

Quote:
Okay good for you. My family has been buying GM vehicles since the '60s and we have never had any major failures or problems. Hence why I own 2 GM vehicles now. If you love Chrysler so much then go preach about their greatness on a Chrysler forum.
LOL, you have had a lucky family, no one i know, regarless, can go that long without whatever brand having some kind of major failure no matter how biased they are to it, they generally just try to play it down. FYI, that is rare for a Hemi and what years? Pre 09 had a different hemi/block than 09+ and the 2.7 dates back to 98, also from allpar:

Quote:
The 2.7 liter engine originally had a tendency to generate sludge which caused engine failure. Similar problems have been appearing on Toyota and Volkswagen engines. We were told that, shortly after the first reported cases, Chrysler isolated the problem to the crankcase ventilation system; hydrocarbons were entering the oil and breaking down the additives. This problem was solved (around 2002-2004), and the number of engine failures appears to be small.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/27.html

Every manufacturer has problems engines that require qork from time to time, ie GMs 3.1 and Fords 3.8 with their respective headgasket blowing issues.

And get too bent out of shape, it is just the internet and a friendly conver
Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #33
mikeyg36

Quote:
LOL, you have had a lucky family, no one i know, regarless, can go that long without whatever brand having some kind of major failure no matter how biased they are to it, they generally just try to play it down.
Nope. Only major problem that I have has was a transmission issue with my Tahoe because the incompetent service department didn't put enough transmission fluid in. Wasn't a reliability issue though.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
Stew

Quote:
Nope. Only major problem that I have has was a transmission issue with my Tahoe because the incompetent service department didn't put enough transmission fluid in. Wasn't a reliability issue though.
Incompentent service departments are a whole 'noth issue that all of the big 3 needs to desperatly work on.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
mikeyg36

Quote:
Incompentent service departments are a whole 'noth issue that all of the big 3 needs to desperatly work on.
At least we agree on something
Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
Stew

Quote:
Something is better than nothing at all haha
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
No, because their cars are shit. I would buy a Ford any day before buying their garbage. And no, I'm not on the governments side as well; I'm glad Chrysler isn't listening to them, but I just wish they would do something for owners with their garbage products.

Seeing most fleet vehicles are and have been for decades Chrysler vehicles I would think they have a valid argument against your claim. I own and have owned Chrysler products and never to this day have I had any more issues than I have with any other brand. However I do have a current Ford product that is in arbitration that you can purchase if you so desire. I know some people have preceptions about brands but not all are valid in most cases. I don't like Ford but the next guy may have excellent experiences with one but I would never own another.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #38
05stram

Quote:

I agree with this as well
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
05stram

Quote:
Considering my brother went through 3 new grand Cherokees, all of them with engine problems, and an aunt who had to deal with the dreaded oil sludge problem in the 2.7 V6, I think I can call their cars crap.

the grand cherokee did have a couple years there where they had some issues with the engine - if I remember correctly they were having timing chain issues on the old LA block - sort of gives a person a bad taste I would assume.
I thought the 2.7 wasn't a sludge issue but also a timing chain issue - usually though sludge is either an incorrect operating temp issue or servicing issue but hey I was not there but I do know that engine was crap.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
No, because their cars are shit. I would buy a Ford any day before buying their garbage. And no, I'm not on the governments side as well; I'm glad Chrysler isn't listening to them, but I just wish they would do something for owners with their garbage products.
Quote:
Funny, when my brothers Grand Cherokee was rearended by some idiot in a Corolla it didn't burst into flames........ And i am sure you have owned so many Chrysler cars to say they are crap? I have owned all of the big 3 sire and more than 1 example of each and can tell you my Chrysler/Jeeps/Dodges and have been the LEAST shitty of them all,
Quote:
Quote:
Funny, my grand Prix, My parents regal and Lumina, my Lumina, and even my brothers CTS have had transmission issues. My brother's CTS has went through severe sunroof and trunk leaks, having to have electronics replaced on the interior, coil issues with the 3.6 DI in it, suspension clunks in the front end, and now the AWD, ABS, backup sensors have mysteriously quit working and multiple dealers have been no help at ALL. my Grand Prix was a similar pile, fuel pump, AC, interior LITERALLY fell apart in my hands, and by now is GM designing the windows in their cars so they just don't all of a sudden fall off track? i had that issue in 3 of my GM vehicles so far. Just throwing that out there. I will admit with the exception of the CTS, all of these were older with transmissions/enginge no longer in GM vehicles, sounds the same with you depending on the year of GCs, pre 11 with the 6 would have been the 3.7, which honestly I have not hear any majors issues with and seems to be a good engine, same with the 4.0 I6. V8 could have been the 4.7 or 5.7 which again would be a pretty rare occurance. the 2.7 has been dead for years now.
Quote:
Okay good for you. My family has been buying GM vehicles since the '60s and we have never had any major failures or problems. Hence why I own 2 GM vehicles now. If you love Chrysler so much then go preach about their greatness on a Chrysler forum. Btw all 3 GCs had the 5.7 L gimmick hemi, and the 2.7 was used until 2010, so it is by no means an old engine.
Quote:
LOL, you have had a lucky family, no one i know, regarless, can go that long without whatever brand having some kind of major failure no matter how biased they are to it, they generally just try to play it down. FYI, that is rare for a Hemi and what years? Pre 09 had a different hemi/block than 09+ and the 2.7 dates back to 98, also from allpar:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/27.html

Every manufacturer has problems engines that require qork from time to time, ie GMs 3.1 and Fords 3.8 with their respective headgasket blowing issues.

And get too bent out of shape, it is just the internet and a friendly conver
Quote:
Quote:
Every one of the posts above have nothing to do with recall-able issues. The heart of the issue is whether the government has any right to force Chrysler to recall decade-old vehicles that don't meet current safety standards.

Whether Chrysler vehicles in question were "crappy" is irrelevant and frankly, completely subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Isn't that what they were claiming? That the gas tank being so far back was presenting a safety issue (being blown up lol), therefore a defective design..

Quote from article:

"
At the crux of the dispute is an alleged issue with the fuel tanks on older Jeep Grand Cherokees and Jeep Liberty SUVs. Safety watchdogs say Jeeps have been bursting into flames after rear-end crashes due to poor design; the tanks are behind the rear axle, leaving them more exposed. Since 1993, nearly 500 people have died in Jeep fires after rear crashes, according to the Center for Auto Safety.
"

A recall of this size however would surely cripple Chrysler. Tough call..
If it was a "defective" design, wouldn't it have been pointed out 10 years ago? Or is the NHTSA just now doing its job?

Quote:
I also forgot to mention the safety of other drivers on the road. Someone rear ends the guy in the jeep, the gas tank explodes, and the other driver is killed from an explosion or is trapped in the car due to a fire.
If you really think this is a highly plausible situation, then maybe you drive too close to the vehicle in front of you and need to back off a bit?

Or at the very least, if it's a big concern for you, give older Chrysler SUV's even more space. Given that ".0000188%" statistic mentioned earlier, I think your worries are unfounded.

Quote:
It may be reaching, but it's very possible. Look at a picture of the gas tank location on those SUVs...
And look at where it is in the Camaro's. It's wedged into the nooks and crannies between the rear suspension structure and rear seat floorboard. I imagine if someone slammed into a Camaro with enough force, it could probably cause a gas leak too. But you don't see anyone worrying about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
So, because the gas tank is behind the rear axle is a design flaw? Uhhhhoh, better recall all the cars with tanks behind the rear axle that have been built since the model-T.
Exactly.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Every one of the posts above have nothing to do with recall-able issues. The heart of the issue is whether the government has any right to force Chrysler to recall decade-old vehicles that don't meet current safety standards.

Whether Chrysler vehicles in question were "crappy" is irrelevant and frankly, completely subjective.

If it was a "defective" design, wouldn't it have been pointed out 10 years ago? Or is the NHTSA just now doing its job?

If you really think this is a highly plausible situation, then maybe you drive too close to the vehicle in front of you and need to back off a bit?

Or at the very least, if it's a big concern for you, give older Chrysler SUV's even more space. Given that ".0000188%" statistic mentioned earlier, I think your worries are unfounded.

And look at where it is in the Camaro's. It's wedged into the nooks and crannies between the rear suspension structure and rear seat floorboard. I imagine if someone slammed into a Camaro with enough force, it could probably cause a gas leak too. But you don't see anyone worrying about that...

Exactly.
I didn't say I'm worried about rear ending someone, I'm talking about all the dumbasses on the road who drive distracted and rear end people. I don't need room in front of me because I'm most likely going faster than everyone else. On another note, JGCs stand much taller than a camaro, so it is much more vulnerable in terms of other cars hitting it. Hell, I had a GMC Envoy and I got rear ended at a stop light because someone wasn't paying attention. Their car smashed into the hitch and didn't damage anything, but if I was in a JGC they would have slammed right into the tank. I agree the govt. should mind its own business at this point.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #42
Stew

Quote:
I didn't say I'm worried about rear ending someone, I'm talking about all the dumbasses on the road who drive distracted and rear end people. I don't need room in front of me because I'm most likely going faster than everyone else. On another note, JGCs stand much taller than a camaro, so it is much more vulnerable in terms of other cars hitting it. Hell, I had a GMC Envoy and I got rear ended at a stop light because someone wasn't paying attention. Their car smashed into the hitch and didn't damage anything, but if I was in a JGC they would have slammed right into the tank. I agree the govt. should mind its own business at this point.
My brother had an 01 GC, that happened with him, other person was doing around 40, it blew up, wait, no it didn't. His Jeep really took no damage and the car that rearended him had to be towed off. Oddly enough had a Grand marquis too and same thing happened, blew up too because the NHTSA sais it should, oh wait, it didn't either. Had a bent bumper and the Corolla that rearended it was smashed up pretty good, had to be hauled off by a flatbed lol.