Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Am I The Only One?

I find myself annoyed at the fact that non-ZL1 Camaros can make their car look just like a real ZL1. I feel like we paid up for a ZL1 and there should not be any fakes driving around. Now I'm not saying the ZL1 is an exotic, but it is certainly an upper echelon sports car. I don't like that GM sells these parts that dilute the semi-exclusivity of the ZL1.

When I had my BMW M3's BMW used to protect the M cars by not selling M equipment to non-M owners. I know they have since changed this policy, selling "M-Sport" items. When I had my Pontiac Firehawk, SLP would not sell their upgrades or graphics to non-Firehawk owners, as you had to give them your VIN and car #.

Am I just a baby, or does anyone else get annoyed at the ease at which someone could counterfeit our car?

On the other end, I would be embarrassed to make my car appear to be something it is not. I would never try to pass my car off as a Z/28, now that it is considered the top dog in the Camaro line. It just brings back memories of the 80's when 4-cylinder Mustang owners would put 5.0 badges on their cars.

This post is not meant to piss anyone off who bought ZL1 parts for their already potent SS cars.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I personally don't let it get to me, anyone who really looks at the car is going to know it is a knock-off, and then the owner of the car is going to feel cheap. Also try to take it as a compliment, these people want to own your car.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Yes, you are just a baby.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
First get over yourself, Second that is what hot rodding is all about.
I've no problem with someone putting a ZL1 front end, Hood or Parts on the're V6/V8 Camaro, But do not put a ZL1 emblem on but a ZL1. Don't put a SS emblem on a V6, it's not right. And for god sake a Z28 emblem should really stay on a Z28, but of course the parts they are going to make it to the rest of the group.

either way it's the're car they can do what they will.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
To answer your question, yes you are being a baby lol

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Paladinjc
AC Pickles!

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Yes, you are just a baby.
My name is Frank and I approve this message.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
You sir, are being a baby. Who cares what other people do to THEIR car. Unless you make my car payments, you surely don't have a say on what I do to my car. I also wouldn't call it an upper echelon sports car......
Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I have yet have someone come up to me and ask if it is a ZL1. I am not trying to replicate a ZL1 with my car. I hit a raccoon last fall and with what it was going to cost to replace my front end with the V6 splitter and street scene ducts and grill. I went with a cheaper option of getting the ZL1 grille. That allowed me to get some side rockers also with the extra money. ZL1 rockers were the natural choice. I have the blade spoiler because I didn't like the looks of the ZL1 spoiler. I'm going with Hex Vents because I want the look of the 69' Camaro vents. Anyone who knows Camaros knows instantly that I have a V6 with upgrades. It is a work in progress that I bought solely for color in 2010. Upgrading your Camaro is one thing and badging it is a whole different ballgame in my book. When the time comes for new wheels, I may go the ZL1 route with the 5 spokes as I really like them. Then I will be able to complete my brake upgrade and will be going with CTS-v or SS brakes like I have on the rears. Had Chevy still made cars like they did when I was younger, where you ordered the car ala carte with what you wanted it would be like what I will end up with.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
SS Jett

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #17
I saw a SS with the ZL1 badge on his stock hood. I was annoyed.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I noticed a trend here, where most of the "your being a baby" folks don't own a ZL1. Maybe if they paid $65K for a car they may think a little different.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
SS Jett

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I noticed a trend here, where most of the "your being a baby" folks don't own a ZL1. Maybe if they paid $65K for a car they may think a little different.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
My name is Frank and I approve this message.
I agree with guy.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
With the mods I have done to my SS, I have spent considerably more than you did on your ZL1. And my SS will out perform your ZL1 in every respect.

Plus, I have all my original badges, but painted. I don't want people to think I have a ZL1.

SS and Proud.

Closed Thread